Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby Grass » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:26 am

Grass

Subject title: nuba's sketchbook

Spoiler: show

Wow! This study is really great! Those colors and subsurface scatters, or whatever you call it, are really well made!
Also the hands are pretty solid to! Keep it up and keep em going! :D

Postby nuba » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:49 pm

nuba

Grass wrote:
Spoiler: show

Wow! This study is really great! Those colors and subsurface scatters, or whatever you call it, are really well made!
Also the hands are pretty solid to! Keep it up and keep em going! :D

Thanks a lot, Grass! I feel like I learned a lot from doing those studies. I really wanna do more when I get the time (also when I find appropriate reference cuz finding a ref for this kinda lighting is hard, I feel :/

Today was another productive-ish day for me. Started the day off with the first image entirely from imagination. The hands are just photos I colour corrected a bit, and to be honest I really like the expression in this kind of collage-looking art. Other than that, I did a colour study of a picture I liked (I dunno how to bring that study further at this point, pleh) and another 30 minute street view study. Also did 1 hour of gesture drawing today so yay I guess!

EDIT: Also did some plein air but it's so chaotic! I might be using too much water in my watercolour hmmm
TRAGEDY smol.png
ruin study.png
street view 23.png
Figure 23.png
plein air 23.jpg

Postby Grass » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Grass

nuba wrote:Thanks a lot, Grass! I feel like I learned a lot from doing those studies. I really wanna do more when I get the time (also when I find appropriate reference cuz finding a ref for this kinda lighting is hard, I feel :/

Yeah. Really hard to find a good lighting reference. So instead of finding, I get reference in the movies that I watched. :D

Postby nuba » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:30 am

nuba

Grass wrote:
nuba wrote:Thanks a lot, Grass! I feel like I learned a lot from doing those studies. I really wanna do more when I get the time (also when I find appropriate reference cuz finding a ref for this kinda lighting is hard, I feel :/

Yeah. Really hard to find a good lighting reference. So instead of finding, I get reference in the movies that I watched. :D

Hey, that's really smart! Thanks for reminding me of that clever way to find reference material, heh!

Started reading from Hampton's book on gesture drawing today. Pretty interesting stuff! Made me realize I've been doing gestures wrong this whole time since I've been drawing the contours and I haven't focused on the form!
hampton 24.png
24 figure.png

Postby nuba » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:04 pm

nuba

Did a couple of more studies from Hampton's book today! Managed to get through the entire book up until anatomy. Dunno if I should do more studies on the subjects before that? I might, who knows! For now though, here's today's stuff! The last one is entirely from imagination, I wanted to try to apply some of the concepts I learned today!
hampton1.png
hampton3.png
lol dude.png

Postby Grass » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:32 am

Grass

Woah! Those are awesome studies! The heads are really proportioned which I find it hard to do.
I'm also in the anatomy part but knowing those muscles are a disaster for me. I'm bad at names. :cry:
You did well with the last picture. That's a good way to end a study. Now I will definitely do that also!
Thanks for reminding! :D

Postby nuba » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:47 pm

nuba

Grass wrote:Woah! Those are awesome studies! The heads are really proportioned which I find it hard to do.
I'm also in the anatomy part but knowing those muscles are a disaster for me. I'm bad at names. :cry:
You did well with the last picture. That's a good way to end a study. Now I will definitely do that also!
Thanks for reminding! :D

Thank you so much for the persistent comments, Grass!! I find it really motivational, helps me to keep going, hehehe! Luckily for me, I already memorized most of the muscles of the body (the most important ones anyways) so the anatomy part will for the most part just be clarification/repitition for me (I can't wait to learn how to properly show the volume of the muscles though, it's something I'm struggling with a lot!). Also yeah, I find that trying to do stuff from imagination after you've just studied something really helps you remember the concepts!

Today was a slow day for me. Did some 20 minutes of gesture drawing (however, my laptop accidentally got locked in a room so I can't post any of them here) aaaand I also drew muscles/bodies/faces/whatever from imagination. Other than that, I just studied the trapezius really quickly. Wooh!! Gonna get through this book hahahah
skootch.png

Postby Grass » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:16 am

Grass

nuba wrote:
Thank you so much for the persistent comments, Grass!! I find it really motivational, helps me to keep going, hehehe! Luckily for me, I already memorized most of the muscles of the body (the most important ones anyways) so the anatomy part will for the most part just be clarification/repitition for me (I can't wait to learn how to properly show the volume of the muscles though, it's something I'm struggling with a lot!). Also yeah, I find that trying to do stuff from imagination after you've just studied something really helps you remember the concepts!

Today was a slow day for me. Did some 20 minutes of gesture drawing (however, my laptop accidentally got locked in a room so I can't post any of them here) aaaand I also drew muscles/bodies/faces/whatever from imagination. Other than that, I just studied the trapezius really quickly. Wooh!! Gonna get through this book hahahah

Well if you find it motivational, so am I. I feel motivated whenever I see your studies. Maybe because we study the same book and topic? Haha!
Keep those things going! I will also try my best to study. Good luck to us! :D

Also your updates are really good. I think I should do it also. I got stuck memorizing the muscles and forgot the most important thing, volumes. :lol:

Postby nuba » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:43 pm

nuba

Grass wrote:Well if you find it motivational, so am I. I feel motivated whenever I see your studies. Maybe because we study the same book and topic? Haha!
Keep those things going! I will also try my best to study. Good luck to us! :D

Also your updates are really good. I think I should do it also. I got stuck memorizing the muscles and forgot the most important thing, volumes. :lol:

Yas, Grass!! Luckily for me, I have a really easy time remembering names for things, but to be honest I think just remembering the general shape and volume of the muscle will be alright!

Sorry about now updating for a while -- I've been a bit busy as of late. Got a group project at school where we'll make a game, so I've included some concept art from there (the style of the first one was discarded and we ended up going for a style like the second one). Lastly, some more anatomy studies from Hampton. Managed to get through the entire torso and now I'm moving onto arms I guess??
concept1.png
manconcept.png
villa.png
hampton 4.png
Hampton 5.png

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:02 pm

NesoKaiyoH

Wonderful studies nuba! Hampton's book is so incredibly useful.
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby Xiphor » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:59 am

Xiphor

Damn thats pretty cool! Making a game! I wish you best of luck with it :D

Also those torso studies are looking pretty good. well done conveying their volumes :D

Postby nuba » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:50 am

nuba

NesoKaiyoH wrote:Wonderful studies nuba! Hampton's book is so incredibly useful.

Thanks, Neso!! I find Hampton's book very useful too, however I'm having a somewhat hard time with actually applying the concepts. I think the illusion of three dimensions breaks a bit because I'm the one drawing? I'll try to improve either way!

Xiphor wrote:Damn thats pretty cool! Making a game! I wish you best of luck with it :D

Also those torso studies are looking pretty good. well done conveying their volumes :D

Luckily it's just a small project, Xiphor! My task is to draw some 20 rooms in a mansion for background art. The deadline is next Friday so I got some work to do! Also, thanks for the feedback with the volume and all!

Today, like most of the days of this week, was a pretty slow day for me. Since I finished with the torso, I tried applying the anatomy I'd learnt today. Also did a 30-minute colour study. I feel like my colours are getting a bit better by now! Maybe I can start feeling comfortable drawing environments from imagination pretty soon??
hampton 30.png
street view 30.png

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:07 am

NesoKaiyoH

More amazing studies! And so much detail in them too, they look good :D
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby nuba » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:25 am

nuba

NesoKaiyoH wrote:More amazing studies! And so much detail in them too, they look good :D

Thanks again! I really enjoy doing studies, but currently I'm having problems with drawing stuff from imagination. I really wanna create the stuff I see in my head, but I think I set my expectations too high because I'll always get disappointed as I work on the piece, ugh.

Today was an OK day I guess. I really feel like I have to draw more stuff from imagination but I'm not sure of what I could do. Did a couple of street view studies today and the rest is purely from imagination (I just wish I could finish some of it).
street view1.2.png
street view1.png
thumb1.1.png
thumb1.png
thumb1.2.png

Postby nuba » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:06 am

nuba

Yesterday's stuff! The character designs are for a music video I'm working on!
thumb progress.png
thumb-progress1.gif
flux n ika.png
hampton1.png

Postby nuba » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:50 am

nuba

Been hard at work with creating assets for the game I'm working on! The deadline is friday so I'll probably be inactive until then. The mansion is the image that might be used as the main menu screen, I'd really like to refine it more but since I gotta work on so many other backgrounds I doubt I'll have the time >__> Other than that, I tried shading in some of those cool form lines that Hampton uses in his book. Pretty dank.
House exterior.png
14522342_10209738639216936_450709751_o.jpg

Postby Grass » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:51 am

Grass

Wow! Those studies are really great. I can see those improvement in your last sketch. The mansion looks good. Is it for a horror suspense kind like game? If it will be used in main menu screen,
I think it will be good to add some vignette effect on it. Putting grunge textures might be too much. Just my opinion tho. :lol: Well good luck in finishing the game! :D

Postby nuba » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:50 pm

nuba

Grass wrote:Wow! Those studies are really great. I can see those improvement in your last sketch. The mansion looks good. Is it for a horror suspense kind like game? If it will be used in main menu screen,
I think it will be good to add some vignette effect on it. Putting grunge textures might be too much. Just my opinion tho. :lol: Well good luck in finishing the game! :D

Thanks for the feedback, Grass! I guess you could call the game a horror suspense game. It's supposed to be about some private investigator in the 1960s who goes to an abandoned mansion that used to double as an orphanage to find out... stuff.. He finds out that spooky science experiments are still going on there and then stuff happens. I dunno, didn't really pay attention to the story but my group wanted to go for an abandoned mansion so that's what I drew.

Included all the artwork for the 2-week project. Happy to say I'm done, but I feel like the style of it all is kinda cheap and tacky. It's supposed to be lit up with a flashlight so I couldn't really do much shading on the BGs which is such a shame. Well anyways, now I can finally go back to doing my anatomy and colour studies. I really wanna get into drawing more from imagination, but I don't really feel like it helps me improve that much. I'm also a bit "meh" about all my ideas.
car rear.png
1 floor hallway.png
2 hallway.png
Basement.png
Child room 2.png
Child Room 5.png
Dining Hall.png
Kitchen.png
Library BG.png
Office.png
Teen Room.png
hampton2.png

Postby nuba » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:37 pm

nuba

Drew a lot of arms today. Feel like I'm finally starting to get the hang of it now!
s1.jpg
s2.jpg
s3.jpg
s4.jpg
s5.jpg
s6.png

Postby Ragamuffin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:49 am

Ragamuffin

Your studies are looking very good!

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook