Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby pr0nm0n » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:21 am

pr0nm0n

Subject title: p00's journey to self improvement

Hello! I'm a part-time artist ready to switch it up and improve! I'll skip the intro and jump straight into the fun stuff!

I'm practicing Loomis' Drawing the Head and Hands book and practicing the human head. I'm so out of practice so bear with me! I'll be uploading daily so I'm back here tomorrow :)

Postby pr0nm0n » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:30 am

pr0nm0n

Just some more studies this morning before work. Man I am terrible at eyes! I'll do some imagination studies tonight, looking forward to that!

Postby Oli » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:46 am

Oli

hey and welcome to the forums :D

nice start here! i like the head construction a lot.

Have fun and enjoy the ride here ;) Happy painting
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby pr0nm0n » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:28 am

pr0nm0n

Thanks @Olie!

More studies. I'll mix it up in a couple of days with imagination studies. I've been practicing skin tones...;_; so hard!

Postby pr0nm0n » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:33 am

pr0nm0n

More reference studies and head practices. Painting is mad hard! Especially skintone *rumbles* I'll get it down eventually! I'll be doing a reference study and an one from imagination tomorrow, yay! I find 'studying' quite monotonous, I'm looking forward to tomorrow!

Postby pr0nm0n » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:46 am

pr0nm0n

*rumble rumble* I need more practice with skin...it always looks plastic-ey :/

Anyhow, I'll maybe do a still life painting or a longer photo study later...maybe 4 hours?

Postby pr0nm0n » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:02 am

pr0nm0n

More studies. I've been tweaking my schedule. Oddly enough I'm able to sit down and work longer in the morning as opposed to evenings.

I've focused on lighting studies and a 2 hour reference studies. I think I'm improving, even if it's a tiny amount.

Postby pr0nm0n » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:17 am

pr0nm0n

Had a few days to myself due to work and studies. I'll be focusing on practicing daily. This month I'll be practicing the head before I move onto anatomy than environments.

A lighting study from imagination and a photo study.

Postby Apeiron » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:02 am

Apeiron

I can't give you any advice on painting unfortunately as I'm an abysmal painter, but I can give you my thoughts on your linework, at least.
Your side view of the face seems slightly off to me. If I were to guess, I would say maybe you draw a big circle for the side view, and draw off that?
I dunno what Loomis teaches (never studied any Loomis) but personally, I find it looks slightly better at the end if you start your sideview with an oval for the skull.
Here, I'll try to illustrate it. (Ignore the really high up eyes I didn't even want to bother measuring proportions)
20160427_214225-1~2.png
I draw dudes. Here http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18808 is the location of my sketchbook where you can see me draw dudes.

Postby pr0nm0n » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:18 am

pr0nm0n

Thanks @Apeiron, I serriously need more practice. I'll have to dig deep and really iron out the kinks. I've been working on this painting today, just a character from imagination and just hit the wall.

I'll take a step back and return to it. Faces are hard, knowing when to stop is harder :/

Postby Hermidraws » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:28 am

Hermidraws

Hey there pr0nm0n!
Good to see you putting in the work, keep the practice going. I will share few videos that can help you
out with color/painting skin and also blending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DrCvx2-NVg (Coloring/Blending)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh12RA3ha0U (Color Basics)

Look forward to see how you improve :)!

Postby pr0nm0n » Sun May 01, 2016 8:34 pm

pr0nm0n

Kingdom Hearts Fan-art. I could push it more but quite frankly stared at it enough.

Edit: I'm satisfied with the character design portrait. I'll hopefully re-design her in the future to do it more justice. I'm just happy to move away from it as I've been staring at it for hours on end. :)

Postby Zaprong » Sun May 01, 2016 10:04 pm

Zaprong

Ohhh I see you play KH! I love the series a lot too!

Your faces are your strongest point, but I should also point out that your bodies don't follow anatomy very well (It's more noticeable from neck to shoulders). The characters also don't seem to cast a shadow on the tree. Despite that, I like how colorful it is though and the drawing in general, keep it up!

Postby pr0nm0n » Wed May 04, 2016 8:21 am

pr0nm0n

Zaprong wrote:Ohhh I see you play KH! I love the series a lot too!

Your faces are your strongest point, but I should also point out that your bodies don't follow anatomy very well (It's more noticeable from neck to shoulders). The characters also don't seem to cast a shadow on the tree. Despite that, I like how colorful it is though and the drawing in general, keep it up!

Thanks! Yeah, I was playing Kingdom Hearts 1.5 remix, reminds me of the good ol' days back in the PS2 generation. Naa my faces are horrid, I need a solid year of practice before I can say what my strenghts are. I plan on shuffling topics that I am focusing on but thanks :D

I realised I've never drew\studied 7 days in a row so I'm planning on breaking that by drawing for 30 days straight, then advancing even further.

Today's studies; Torsos, expressions and a 2hr photo study:

Return to Sketchbook