Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Ahsoothe » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:24 am

Ahsoothe

Subject title: Ahsoothe's Sketchbook

Hello everyone! I'm actually new on this sketchbook thing. I thought it will be better to start with small steps, I mean I don't want to jump into making complete artworks at this stage so.. yeah. I decided to select an object and make a few drawings of them. Feel free to comment and share your opinions!
Last edited by Ahsoothe on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Ahsoothe » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:06 pm

Ahsoothe

Let't start!

Last edited by Ahsoothe on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby AkiTalez » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:20 pm

AkiTalez

Good start Ahsoothe, looks really realictic (Real. Real? wow, so much reality haha). Do you study it through photos or an actual objects?

Postby Ahsoothe » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:28 pm

Ahsoothe

Thanks AkiTalez! I thought photos would be a good start, but I'm definitely into drawing from real objects in the future :)

Postby thereforeisam » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:52 pm

thereforeisam

Nice start Ahsoothe! One thing I really like is how you're using the pencil lines to indicate form, as your strokes follow the natural curves of the objects. Good stuff!

I would suggest that you incorporate some more fundamental studies into your work (line, shape, form, value, etc.) to enhance your understanding of the objects and how to depict them. These are pretty well-rendered reproductions, but having a better understanding of how to render arbitrary 3D forms in 2D is, like, the basic idea behind illustration, and simply copying items the way you see them won't offer you much flexibility in your art. There are a lot of great online resources for learning; a couple that I hear mentioned a lot are ctrlpaint.com and drawabox.com.

Happy drawing!
Just trying to produce more than I consume.
My Sketchbook

Postby Ahsoothe » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Ahsoothe

Thank you very much for this enlightening comment thereforeisam! The reason I decided to upload my drawings to this platform was having this kind of comments so I can see the blocks that I normally can't see, I appreciate it. I will definitely keep your comment in mind and continuing my studies. :)

Postby Ahsoothe » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:57 pm

Ahsoothe

long time since my last post. I have been working on some fundamentals lately. I decided I could take a break from it and finish my page so here it is. Baby steps I guess :) Image

Postby Oli » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:17 pm

Oli

nice studies! that pine cone is some tough shit you tackled there and it is really well done. dat really tough
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Ahsoothe » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:07 pm

Ahsoothe

Thank you! I was thinking, if I'm gonna receive some critiques it will definitely be about that pine cone!

Postby Ahsoothe » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 pm

Ahsoothe

It has been a long time AGAIN since my last post. I was actually working on this in the meantime. It's my first "serious" character design I made for my coursera assignment. I have never worked digitally before and I decided to try it. I worked with a mouse and I didn't really have that much of knowledge about photoshop. I think it was a better idea get in digital after fully understanding drawing traditionally so I haven't bought a tablet yet. I would love to get your opinions about this. What would/did you do?
I'll give her story down below if you are interested.

Spoiler: show
This character's name is Rooh. She's actually a normal girl in a world of spirits. After the spirits leave their bodies they come to this place and get temporary stone bodies like this one. The bodies are powered by their spirit energy which will run out after a month. Rooh's spirit unfortunately had to leave our world but she was allowed to take her special friend to guide her during her journey because she's so young. The plush rabbit Goosh and Rooh are on their way to complete their spiritual journey.
In the first image I changed the proportions to make Rooh's body look more serious and mature.
In the second image I wanted to make the design more dense so it could give a better picture to understand the concept e.g. the bodies are used several times.
The third design is more dark then the others. I wanted it to be suited for older players.

Postby Ahsoothe » Wed May 18, 2016 2:41 pm

Ahsoothe

What a month. I'm so happy being back!
I have been studying on faces recently so I'm trying to understand whats going on :) These are some studies from books, tutorials and pictures. I generally use references because I feel like I understand the details better by analyzing them while drawing.

Postby Ahsoothe » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:27 am

Ahsoothe

So recently I decided to do some personal stuff besides all the fundamental stuff I'm working on. So I took a paper and did some scribbles and I tried to see the image I was going to draw.I had no idea what I was doing so I made a lot of mistakes . But my point was bring some creativity to life and I had so much fun doing it!

And these are some designs I did for fun/improvement

Postby Ahsoothe » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Ahsoothe

Postby Ahsoothe » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:20 pm

Ahsoothe

Some hand studies..

..with reference of friends

Postby Koźlik » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Koźlik

Cool sketchbook you have here :D I like your hand studies.Also nature drawings from first posts. Keep on doing them and you'll get better :)
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby Ahsoothe » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:13 pm

Ahsoothe

Koźlik wrote:Cool sketchbook you have here :D I like your hand studies.Also nature drawings from first posts. Keep on doing them and you'll get better :)

Thaanks! And yeah I definitely plan to get back to them sometime! :D

Postby Ahsoothe » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:35 pm

Ahsoothe

I have A LOT to share this time

Played around with colours using my old sketches

Image Image

Image Image

I draw gestures almost everyday but I never thought about posting them here are some I did lately.
May be nsfw

Image Image

Image Image

Here I'm trying or struggling drawing faces on my figures :D
Image Image

Image Image

From Hampton's book

Image Image

Aand these are more of my scribble face stuff. I usually do them to warm up or cool down.

Image Image

Image Image

Here I feel like what are these I should learn to draw faces!
Image Image

Image Image

After I did some attempts with color pencil

Image Image

Image Image

Postby Ahsoothe » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Ahsoothe

Some warm-ups

Here I'm trying to use imagination a little

Aand again..

Reference

Imagnation

Ofcourse these aren't my only attempts. I'm just trying to keep it as simple as possible to give the idea :P
And man.. Imagination is a pain.. :D

And here is a fun bonus.
Some warm-ups/cool-downs I do. Some of the sentences may look too random. It's because I was doing them during a hangout :D

Postby XFlameR » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:35 pm

XFlameR

Haha "Too much perspective" my face exactly :D Good sketches so far. I love those faces the most.
However I think some form study for faces would help you a lot to get it better. :) Keep at it!

Postby HopeMetal » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:29 am

HopeMetal

Ahsoothe wrote:

Those are some interesting imagination heads.

Postby Ahsoothe » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:38 pm

Ahsoothe

XFlameR

Hahah You're definitely right. Now I look back at my work and.. Uh.. I totally need some of that! :D

HopeMetal

Lol, thanks!

And sorry for the late reply guys.. I have let you down *head rests on fist dramatically*

What else.. I had many guilty "no art days", meeting friends and loved ones before saying goodbye. And now I'm back again. Found out my art group is asleep/separated :( That was sad. Well, at least I have a tablet now! I'm trying to get used to it and I've liked it so far. Brighter pages are coming :P

Here are some of my exercises:

Gestures of course!

This has NSFW reference images

And played around with colors..

Postby Ahsoothe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:39 pm

Ahsoothe

I studied on insect photographs, drawing lines around them to understand 3D forms. After that, these came out. Thanks to Ambiguity's encouragement plus, XFlameR and Biosphere's patience about answering my never-ending questions through it. I appreciate that :D

Have a lot to do, have a lot to learn!

Postby Koźlik » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:49 pm

Koźlik

That owl made me laugh :D
Also those bugs look pretty cool! I like the yellow one the most :)
Both your figures and gestures are getting better! Keep it up my friend! :D
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby Ahsoothe » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:16 am

Ahsoothe

Please, don't pay attention to him.. :D

Well, thanks Koz for your comment! :)
About the figures and gestures.. It's nice to hear that I'm getting better. I just feel like I'm not having progress. Actually that's the main reason I'm studying on a new subject. Let's see where it takes me.

Postby Ahsoothe » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:07 pm

Ahsoothe

I made my mind, and decided to do what I avoided. Figures..

I have this problem. When I'm drawing gestures, I always get the stick figure or the outlines right. But when it comes to fleshing it out I mess it up. Biosphere suggested that drawing tubes around the lines I made might help me get better at it. I tried that on one of the stick figure I liked.

At least it wasn't worse than the other figures I drew :/
It's something.

Then I decided it would be fun working on the torso a bit. Focused on the torso on a few figure drawings then did this exercise.

Seems like I have a problem visualizing arms raised up.. <.<

Next

Return to Sketchbook