Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Moe » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:36 pm

Moe

Subject title: Kam's sketchbook (NSFW)

Nicee. For some reason, I thought you wouldn't make your return till New years. I've been getting lazy with my own art lately so thanks for the boost in motivation.

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:21 am

Bugpal Hopeday

Wow, your most recent piece is awesome. There's so much to look at. I'd be interested to see more of this style. Is it like a kaiju transit system?

Kam wrote:strong imbalance between how much I do studies and how much I do my own stuff hasn't had a good impact on me in any way

Yeah, that's a tough balance. Is there a way you can make your studies align more with your own stuff so they feel less like work? Just as a random example, if you were feeling burnt out on human anatomy studies you but like drawing weird beasties you could do some studies based on real life weird critters, like tardigrades.
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Postby Kam » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Kam

Moe wrote:Nicee. For some reason, I thought you wouldn't make your return till New years. I've been getting lazy with my own art lately so thanks for the boost in motivation.

To be honest I've been having serious motivation issues, I know they say motivation isn't reliable and you should have discipline and all but saying something is always easier than doing it.
Bugpal Hopeday wrote:Wow, your most recent piece is awesome. There's so much to look at. I'd be interested to see more of this style. Is it like a kaiju transit system?

Kam wrote:strong imbalance between how much I do studies and how much I do my own stuff hasn't had a good impact on me in any way

Yeah, that's a tough balance. Is there a way you can make your studies align more with your own stuff so they feel less like work? Just as a random example, if you were feeling burnt out on human anatomy studies you but like drawing weird beasties you could do some studies based on real life weird critters, like tardigrades.

It's based on Gurren Lagann's eyecatch style, aligning studies with personal works isn't hard, I just turned it into a beast for myself, it's what happens when you look for shortcuts.

Postby Kam » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:32 pm

Kam

Spoiler: show
IMG_0913.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG
IMG_0916.JPG
IMG_0933.JPG
IMG_0934.JPG
IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0948.JPG

Zygarde Complete.png

output_0fVsO9.gif

I hope I can actually get somewhere next year, I did really poorly this year.

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:20 am

Bugpal Hopeday

Cool composition and values!
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Postby LK Crown » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:42 pm

LK Crown

Your practices look really good and helpful.
I will go through your sketchbook and look for some good exercises, maybe replicate somethings, if you dont mind.
Really cool looking practice-stuff!

Postby Kam » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Kam

Bugpal Hopeday wrote:Cool composition and values!

thanks
LK Crown wrote:Your practices look really good and helpful.
I will go through your sketchbook and look for some good exercises, maybe replicate somethings, if you dont mind.
Really cool looking practice-stuff!

I don't mind go ahead, though it'd be better if you find better examples of whatever it is that you want to practice.

Postby Kam » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Kam

IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0969.JPG
IMG_0971.JPG

I feel a lot less stiff when drawing than before and that's nice

Postby Telepurte » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:36 pm

Telepurte

Whew lad those are nice arms and hands!
Always have adeep resprect for how you do shading. it really looks neat.

Also... I wrote a rant at you lel

Ya gotta be more confident man.
Don't go living life doing work and then undermining yourself. That is pride!
It's pride not because you think more than you should of yourself but because you don't think enough of yourself.
That makes you have some poor mentalities, sad attitudes, and it can really make you do some poor decisions which start a downwards spiral that doesn't help the creative process, or general quality of life.
I personally think you're struggling with motivation because you're afraid of making something that isn't good enough, and when you make something that isn't good, you get frustrated, and then that frustration gets in the way of improving and actually saying things with your art. Now I kind of see you in an eternal hole of studying and practicing to be good enough to say something, but you never say anything because "good enough" is like "tomorrow". It never comes.
Pretty much everyone here is stopping by to say something good about your art because surprise surprise you're actually pretty good at art and you have the level to do more stuff outside of just studying or getting better. So do it!
You have nothing to lose but everything to gain by being more confident and figuratively getting up and standing tall with everything you do.

The art of someone confident with little or no skill is arguably more appealing than someone with all the skill and no confidence; and even if it isn't, the confidence will soon make it so.

Be encouraged and be inspired
You have my love and support
so JUST DO IT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Hey, before you keep browsin', check my art out if you haven't already!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17763
http://telepurte.deviantart.com/

Postby Nymzo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 am

Nymzo

Your perspective work is super strong. As strong as the mech you drew I'd imagine. So good!

Postby Kam » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:37 pm

Kam

Telepurte wrote:Whew lad those are nice arms and hands!
Always have adeep resprect for how you do shading. it really looks neat.

Also... I wrote a rant at you lel

Ya gotta be more confident man.
Don't go living life doing work and then undermining yourself. That is pride!
It's pride not because you think more than you should of yourself but because you don't think enough of yourself.
That makes you have some poor mentalities, sad attitudes, and it can really make you do some poor decisions which start a downwards spiral that doesn't help the creative process, or general quality of life.
I personally think you're struggling with motivation because you're afraid of making something that isn't good enough, and when you make something that isn't good, you get frustrated, and then that frustration gets in the way of improving and actually saying things with your art. Now I kind of see you in an eternal hole of studying and practicing to be good enough to say something, but you never say anything because "good enough" is like "tomorrow". It never comes.
Pretty much everyone here is stopping by to say something good about your art because surprise surprise you're actually pretty good at art and you have the level to do more stuff outside of just studying or getting better. So do it!
You have nothing to lose but everything to gain by being more confident and figuratively getting up and standing tall with everything you do.

The art of someone confident with little or no skill is arguably more appealing than someone with all the skill and no confidence; and even if it isn't, the confidence will soon make it so.

Be encouraged and be inspired
You have my love and support
so JUST DO IT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Thanks for the encouragement Tele <3, I've been slowly trying to get myself out of the rut I set myself in for most of last year so hopefully this year will be much better.
Nymzo wrote:Your perspective work is super strong. As strong as the mech you drew I'd imagine. So good!

Not sure which mech you're referring to since I haven't drawn one since 2016, thanks anyway :)

Postby Kam » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:51 pm

Kam

IMG_0975.JPG
IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG
IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0985.JPG
IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG

3.JPG

process:
output_95lTTH.gif

Postby Engell79 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:18 pm

Engell79

thise arm studies and sketches are really awsome..... im like... wow... that could be in a book for anatomy and drawing the arm... damm !...

Postby Kam » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:19 am

Kam

Engell79 wrote:thise arm studies and sketches are really awsome..... im like... wow... that could be in a book for anatomy and drawing the arm... damm !...

Thanks, it's hard to apply these studies properly though...

IMG_1140.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1184.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1211.JPG

hh.JPG

card version
hhh.JPG

Postby ChocoCookie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:45 am

ChocoCookie

There is a lot of improvement here! A great sketchbook and I really enjoy looking at your studies. (:
Keep it up!

Postby Kam » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:37 pm

Kam

ChocoCookie wrote:There is a lot of improvement here! A great sketchbook and I really enjoy looking at your studies. (:
Keep it up!

Postby Kam » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Kam

IMG_1223.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG
IMG_1291.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG

iui''.JPG

process:
output_eCvk9v.gif

g.JPG

Postby fi_le » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:59 pm

fi_le

Hey kam,

this is the first time looking through your sketchbook; from what I've seen it's very interesting. Recently, I began to like anime aestetics a lot more and you really nailed the anime feeling for the most part.
So though I'm not a fan at all of combining that flat anime style with rendering (An example would be the deltoid and the collar bones of the girl shaping a heart with her hands), I totally dig your art.

Keep going, of course, and have a great day!
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Telepurte » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 am

Telepurte

I'm digging the flat blacks for shadows.
Be careful with how you draw the features of the face onto the head, sometimes you're drawing a front eye on a 3/4 head, or vise versa; or perhaps you're drawing a head that's looking up slightly but you don't have any codecs for an eye that's supposed to fit on a 3/4 looking up slightly head so you go with a 3/4 but straight eye so it ends up looking kind of off. ya feel?

You're doing a good job with the graffiti btw!
Hey, before you keep browsin', check my art out if you haven't already!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17763
http://telepurte.deviantart.com/

Postby Kam » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:22 pm

Kam

fi_le wrote:Hey kam,

this is the first time looking through your sketchbook; from what I've seen it's very interesting. Recently, I began to like anime aestetics a lot more and you really nailed the anime feeling for the most part.
So though I'm not a fan at all of combining that flat anime style with rendering (An example would be the deltoid and the collar bones of the girl shaping a heart with her hands), I totally dig your art.

Keep going, of course, and have a great day!

I'm still experimenting and I haven't really developed my "style" yet so things like that are bound to happen, as far as anime aesthetics go I'm mostly inspired by eastern art styles and have studied them so it's nice that it has rubbed off on me I guess.

Telepurte wrote:I'm digging the flat blacks for shadows.
Be careful with how you draw the features of the face onto the head, sometimes you're drawing a front eye on a 3/4 head, or vise versa; or perhaps you're drawing a head that's looking up slightly but you don't have any codecs for an eye that's supposed to fit on a 3/4 looking up slightly head so you go with a 3/4 but straight eye so it ends up looking kind of off. ya feel?

You're doing a good job with the graffiti btw!

It's sad that I still can't get simple stuff like that, I'll keep that in mind as something to work on.
also thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A style variation/exploration exercise I forgot to upload
1.JPG

Postby Kam » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Kam

the line drawing for this wasn't mine
1.jpg
2.jpg

Postby Kam » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:09 am

Kam

scrapped attempts before choosing the two that were rendered, these are really bad
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG

scan.jpg
SCAN0000.jpg
render practice 2-2.jpg
render practice 2.jpg
chrome ver.JPG
render2metallic.JPG
glossy form 3.jpg
metallic form 3.jpg
metallic form 3-2.jpg
chrome form 3.jpg

Postby KeaneFox » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:01 am

KeaneFox

So, those are not a 3D renders?

Postby Kam » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:05 am

Kam

KeaneFox wrote:So, those are not a 3D renders?

No, I'm planning on learning 3D but for now I can't really use any program other than Sketchup.

Postby Josephcow » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:21 am

Josephcow

Kam wrote:
KeaneFox wrote:So, those are not a 3D renders?

No,

Holy crap, you're good!

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook