Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Kam » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Kam

Subject title: Kam's sketchbook (NSFW)

Hey all, I've been thinking about starting a sketchbook thread somewhere for a while, and I decided to finally do it, hopefully I won't forget and will try to update it, and since I'll have the mindset that I'll show people the stuff, I'll do a little better on them.
As for an introduction, I'm 20 years old as of a couple days ago, been a doodler most of the time, copying cartoon characters I like when I was younger, slowly got more and more away from art until about a year and a half ago, through the 3DS app Colors! 3D I got back into art (sorta), saw anime art and was inspired by it to start drawing stuff, but I gradually became aware that art has fundamentals and whether I like it or not I need to know some realism to make style work, slowly been learning that stuff though a lot of the time I don't know what I'm doing, if I'm doing it right, or in case of some topics I have absolutely no idea how to learn them, and there are probably some I'm not even aware of yet.
So hopefully with some more interaction with people I'll gradually become aware and if I can fight the depression and demotivation I face a lot of the time, I can get better at art.
Still not sure what I want to do with art, I'm a hobbyist for now and I don't really think about turning it into a career because I hardly believe that I could get good... anyways, I'll throw in old works from 2014 up until a few days ago which would be some traditional and digital works (got an Intuos Manga in August 2014, changed to Intuos Pro Medium a couple months ago because the small size just wasn't working for me)

so lets start with 2014, mostly colored pencil things, some digital.
Spoiler: show
First digital drawing with Colors! 3D, it's mostly a redraw of Jigglypuff's official art, I did some drawings with mouse before this but they were mostly vectors and there were very few of them anyway.
jj.JPG

Another Colors! 3D thing, there's about 6-7 of them and I'm probably putting up the worst examples, oh well.
j.JPG

After I got the tablet and suffered to get from absolutely 0 hand eye coordination to a little with it, this was the first not entirely failure and awful thing to come out of it, Solarmon from official artwork so it's a copy, again.
jjj.JPG

I think I'll put the traditional stuff after the digital ones, these are from around August until the end of the year, I didn't do much digital because I struggled a lot controlling the tablet and didn't discover the stabilizer in Sai until like, the middle of October, and when I did I misused it... anyways.
jjjj.JPG

jjjjj.JPG

jjjjjj.JPG

jjjjjjjjjj.JPG

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj.JPG

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj.JPG

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj.JPG

And now for some of the traditionals, Not going to put up the really early stuff because I don't even have photos of them, but I believe that I started doing my terrible anime sketches around the middle of summer, these are from around September till the end of the year.
c.JPG

Capture.JPG

h.JPG

hj.JPG

hjj.JPG

... I think that's enough, I mean they're more or less the same thing, fan art, a lot of Pokemon and Digimon lol.
Alright then, onto 2015, more or less still fan art, from what I remember there was a lot of watching tutorials and not drawing going on most of the time, I didn't have a sketchbook until March so I scribbled some stuff in my old school notebook pages, which ended up getting filled with either more dumb scribbles or "straight lines" and "ellipses" which I became aware of around March (I found Drawabox and succeeded at semi-half-assing lesson 1 and 2)

First background? I didn't use reference so that's why it looks weird, it was the first time I used perspective I think.
Capture.JPG

Stuff from January until May
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Apparently I tried to perspective again a month later, this time I tried to use reference, though I ended up basing it roughly off of our kitchen (and for the record it doesn't look this worn out) from my awful memory.
5.JPG

6.JPG

A rare attempt at creating a character, I sketched some crows and feathers then I drew this later, did it on one layer because I realized that's a thing, I remember struggling a lot on the pose, even though its' nothing complicated.
7.JPG

First photostudy attempt...
8.JPG

9.JPG

Seems like I reached the limit for attachments, I'll put up the rest in the next post.
Last edited by Kam on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby PitE » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:37 am

PitE

First off that jigglypuff is amazing. I just realized how similar those two characters are, it's almost uncanny :) And then the beedrill, Excadrill (drilllssslslsslll) and Hoopa look really good :D Reminds me of Gurren Lagann Splashes(if that's what they're called) :D

Postby Kam » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Kam

PitE wrote:First off that jigglypuff is amazing. I just realized how similar those two characters are, it's almost uncanny :) And then the beedrill, Excadrill (drilllssslslsslll) and Hoopa look really good :D Reminds me of Gurren Lagann Splashes(if that's what they're called) :D

Heh, thanks and that was actually inspired by a picture I saw that was a SSB4 screenshot with Jigglypuff edited as Nui and then I thought of doing that, and those are based on the Gurren Lagann eyecatch style, I did a few more but I think those are the better ones so I put those up.

Postby Kam » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:38 pm

Kam

And now with the rest, until hopefully it's done and eventually this starts turning into an actual sketchbook.
continuing on from June last year until the end of the year.
10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

I genuinely dislike this, but I'm just putting up anything that wasn't entirely a scribble and not necessarily only those that I like better.
13.JPG

14.JPG

I think this was when I found a tutorial on shading basic forms, so I actually tried to do it, in Photoshop, looking back now they look kinda incorrect
b1.JPG

b2.JPG

probably third photostudy attempt, redid the sketch three times, kinda got lost after an hour of working on it so I stopped here
b4.JPG

Portraits with colored pencils, I found them to be a lot more comfortable for me to use than graphite.
a1.JPG

A character I made and then gave her a maid outfit, there's a bit more of her later on
15.JPG

17.JPG

For the first time I tried to use reference properly for a background, admittedly I stole some of the values from a photo, but still tried to pick most of the colors myself, also a foreshortening attempt that got further than scribble phase.
18.JPG

Another character design thing, partially inspired by a drawing I saw of Redjuice, which is one of my favorite artists.
19.JPG

Capture16.JPG

I did the Inktober challenge, lasted until day 21, these are some of the drawings that I threw colors on.
a2.JPG

a3.JPG

a4.JPG

a5.JPG

tried to go for a "painty" style, it's really what I prefer over polished or soft shaded pieces, but I find it difficult to make it look decent.
20.JPG

the only thing done in November
21.JPG

And... didn't draw this month either until I found MoatDD's channel, got a different and better view on art and at the end of the month I tried to draw something so I did this, I guess style experimenting? did a few more similar after this.
22.JPG

And now we enter 2016.
d1.JPG

These are drawn requests, so that's why some of them are weird.
d2.JPG

the background on this is... traced? I put the picture underneath, color picked and painted over, I really hate doing things like that but since this wasn't a personal drawing I wanted to make it more presentable rather than just leaving them in blank space.
d3.JPG

d5.JPG
Last edited by Kam on Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Kam » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:58 pm

Kam

d6.JPG

d7.JPG

d8.JPG

d11.JPG

d12.JPG

May or may not somewhat represent me
d10.JPG

An attempt at a more realistic or something style, after I learned a bit of head construction
d13.JPG

Another character design thing, I can only draw dresses...
d4.JPG

d15.JPG

I drew two heads, then turned them into LoL characters, I don't play it and hardly know anything about it but I like the designs
d16.JPG

A painting of the newly announced Pokemon, I was confused with what I was doing with the color choices, and hopefully this is gonna be the last Pokemon fanart for a long time or forever, just really got into the thought of not doing fanart much anymore after this.
d17.JPG

Robot silhouettes, ended up going with #1 after asking some friends for opinions
12661840_449320961931443_1298371398037316210_n.jpg

Kinda tried to base it on a wasp, kinda... still really really new at this stuff so I really don't know what I'm doing.
d14.JPG

Another character
d18.JPG

And the last thing I did which kinda ended up getting scrapped, so this is as far as it went.
d20.JPG

And here we are, I got sad over my skill level again, and yesterday I failed my vow of drawing everyday this year, I hope I get back in the loop and creating this thread is kinda an attempt at that, so when that happens which hopefully won't be too long from now I'll finally be posting sketches and stuff here to share my progress.
Last edited by Kam on Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Kam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:15 pm

Kam

I might as well throw in some recent studies, these are quite messy and cluttered because I never had the intention of showing them to anyone but I'll try not to make a mess for the later ones.

30 second gestures, I did a large bulk of gesture drawings but threw them all away, these 30 second ones are the only survivors, there were a few more pages but the gestures were kinda jammed into each other but these were luckily separated.
Honestly I don't see much of a purpose in 30 second or even 2 minute gestures when you're so stressed over getting something down in the short time you have, I got a bit better at it in terms of speed and slowed down a bit because the proportions were going really out of whack, so in these I tried to keep proportions true to the reference as much as I can in the time limit.
also tried to be clean, I like the energetic and messy sketchy styles but I feel like getting into the habit of drawing messy all the time isn't good, but that's something I'll have to experiment with more.
DSC_0293.JPG

DSC_0294.JPG

portrait done in 30 minutes, used the head construction method provided in Michael Hampton's book (the only head construction method I've learned so far) so I tried to draw this head out of that and then place the features and finally add some not so good shading, the grain of the paper makes it harder but I probably shouldn't blame it on that.
DSC_0295.JPG

I hardly ever draw from life, don't see it as an absolute must to do but anyway, I drew a piece of cloth, kinda.
DSC_0296.JPG

studies off of Michael Hampton's book, heads drawn from reference and kinda tried to apply the head construction to them (these are older than the one on top)
the eyes with crazy eyelashes are without reference, that small sphere is terribly rendered, I can do better than that but both the shape not being a circle and being small kinda contributed towards making it worse.
DSC_0297.JPG

And some really messy arm anatomy studies, some are copies off of the book, some are my attempts at trying to draw those horrendous forearm muscles off of reference, basically trying to find them under the skin I guess, I kinda spent 3 days just figuring out the forearm, this is sometime after that 3 days, I got a really basic idea but it's something that needs a lot more study time.
I did more studies of the book, in fact I kinda went through all of it but not thoroughly, so that's something to do, they're just as messy or messier than this so it's best not to show.
DSC_0298.JPG

Well that's that, hopefully I'll be back with better stuff and I should probably stop writing stories for every picture, unless I should... I don't know really ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Postby Moe » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:31 am

Moe

Welcome to the forums. Nice work so far. I think you'll benefit from more sketching and less rendered/finished works just so you can build your mileage up faster.

Postby Kam » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:22 pm

Kam

Moe wrote:Welcome to the forums. Nice work so far. I think you'll benefit from more sketching and less rendered/finished works just so you can build your mileage up faster.

Thanks, and yes I believe I should really do that, the reason why I didn't sketch that much is because I tended to half-ass them and only put more effort on something I know I'm gonna line and color and that is a really terrible thing to do, still haven't gotten back into it but when I do I'll devise some plan to do a lot more sketching and maybe go with an idea like "finish one out of twenty sketches" or something so I wouldn't get lazy at taking something further than sketch phase.

Postby Idan » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:51 pm

Idan

Your studies, gestures and pencil drawings remind me a lot of my own from roughly two years ago :3 Keep doing them.
yesss the forearm is hard. I have never fully figured it out...
sketchbook
I believe in reciprocity in regards to constructive criticism in sketchbooks.
(In other words, tell me what you think about mine and I will most likely visit yours and do the same)

Postby Kam » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Kam

Idan wrote:Your studies, gestures and pencil drawings remind me a lot of my own from roughly two years ago :3 Keep doing them.
yesss the forearm is hard. I have never fully figured it out...

I have a lot of grinding to do, and I will, it's hard not to get discouraged but regardless I'll try.

Postby Kam » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:38 pm

Kam

Guess it's time to get back to work, I got really discouraged, but I promised myself not to give up on this, the actual hard times have yet to come anyway.
Some... form shading and form drawing I guess, got really anal about that cube and ended up spending like... 15-20 minutes just on that, I don't know how much more I should stress on this stuff, I know I should do them every now and then but just devoting all or most of drawing time to these gets really tedious and boring (also I hate twisting forms and I still have a hard time understanding them.)
criticism is welcome because that's one of the reasons that I decided to make a sketchbook thread.
Capturekj.JPG

And a sketch from a few weeks ago that stayed a sketch, I couldn't draw the hands and the pose is... meh, so I just left it at this
jolyne.JPG

Postby Kam » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:27 pm

Kam

I should eventually learn it, so these are to ease myself into painting from reference.
picked simple stuff, I didn't color pick and I couldn't because I had the reference on another thing's screen.
I eventually want to not smooth out stuff so much but for these I just tried my best to make them close to the reference.
hjh.JPG

and some... random junk, I don't have any ideas for anything at the moment so I just tried to do whatever that I felt would help me get a little better at drawing form from imagination (really need to work on it from reference more) that isn't just drawing boxes and spheres. these look really stupid but regardless I'll try to upload most or all I do.
my visual library is pretty much dead and non existent so I might do an hour of sketching of a specific subject everyday and see if that's gonna help, I'm not planning on learning to draw everything so I'll probably try to keep it limited for a good long while.
jkjlk.JPG

Postby benvsm » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:55 am

benvsm

Nice stuff man! :O Keep 'em coming!

Postby Valkhira » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:33 am

Valkhira

I saw Chaika. I already like this sketchbook.
Also, your character is adorable. And it's not the fact that she has purple hair and blue eyes, I swear... (<- Her own character has purple hair and blue eyes, totally biased).

Anyway, keep up with your practice, you're doing well ^^
My tradition is the art of superstition.
Follow the white rabbit: Alice's Sketchbook

Postby Kam » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:48 am

Kam

benvsm wrote:Nice stuff man! :O Keep 'em coming!

Thanks man, I'll try my best, well... I slowly have to ease myself into working more but it's happening.
Valkhira wrote:I saw Chaika. I already like this sketchbook.
Also, your character is adorable. And it's not the fact that she has purple hair and blue eyes, I swear... (<- Her own character has purple hair and blue eyes, totally biased).

Anyway, keep up with your practice, you're doing well ^^

Chaika is best and so is purple hair.
And thanks for the encouragement :) I'll try my best... well slowly try to get close to actually trying my best.

Postby Kam » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:12 am

Kam

Today's stuff, I think I... tried a bit harder than usual, hopefully I'll gradually do more but for now my speed is atrocious and worse than that my patience is even more atrocious.
anyway, perspective things for warm up, I really want to get decent at perspective, I should probably go back to studying more of it and trying to apply it to reference and imagination and whatever afterwards.
DSC_0298.JPG

the main idea with these was studying some hairstyles, kept it limited to short hair so I wouldn't end up confusing myself instead, also tried to "stylize" the references to not strictly copy them, did badly with some especially on the second page, I somehow do worse the more I do.
DSC_0299.JPG

DSC_0300.JPG

and some gesture drawing, 2 minutes, they're bad and I don't know why I slowed down so much, they look more like contour than movement and that's bad.
DSC_0294.JPG

DSC_0295.JPG

5 minutes, I'm going to hope today was a "bad day" for this, but then again everyday feels like that.
DSC_0296.JPG

30 minutes or so on this, proportions went off at some parts. I tried to be aware of what I'm defining, still don't have much anatomy knowledge so I'll gradually have to work on that.
DSC_0297.JPG

Another attempt at painting from reference, I'll try to keep it a daily thing and slowly make the subject more complicated, didn't really do well but honestly I got confused at some parts, I don't know how to deal with texture and small details, might be lack of patience more than technique but I don't know really.
dfhgfhgfh.JPG

Postby Ragamuffin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:55 am

Ragamuffin

The improvement is real. And as i understand it, details are simply a matter of "zooming" into specific areas and working on it. After you do that a bunch and zoom out again, it should look finished.

Postby Kam » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:13 am

Kam

Ragamuffin wrote:The improvement is real. And as i understand it, details are simply a matter of "zooming" into specific areas and working on it. After you do that a bunch and zoom out again, it should look finished.

I'll keep that in mind, I'm not a huge fan of really clean and rendered pieces but still I can't leave things rough all the time so I'll have to try to learn that.

Postby Kam » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:44 am

Kam

I think I ended up confusing myself on a lot of things by being impatient, so I'll try to more slowly go through anatomy and other things, and hopefully make my figures look less bad.
so I'll try it in the order provided in Figure Design and Invention.
I drew Redjuice eyes, and then some eyes from imagination, I still don't know exactly what direction I want to go style wise, if I do what I do most of the time I'll probably end up with something that's semi realistic which is fine but I'm still experimenting with that even though it shouldn't be a concern of mine too much at the moment.
DSC_0296.JPG

right is a copy of one of Redjuice's illustrations which I did badly on... his style is really hard to copy, or maybe I should just try to get better at redrawing.
To finally do something I should've done a long time ago, I took some simple objects from photo and drew through them, then tried some imagined angles which I drew small to fit them on the page... anyway, something that I'll try to do and gradually make the subject more complicated until I eventually get a grasp of form.
DSC_0295.JPG

Boxes from photos with the idea of drawing through, this is probably the simplest thing I could've picked but being hasty isn't gonna work so I'll have to take it slow and start from... 0
DSC_0294.JPG

instead of repainting something, I did this, some of my guesses were really off, I'll probably alternate between this and painting from reference and see if my color and value perception get better after a while.
1.JPG

2.JPG

I didn't do any figure drawing today, which is bad but instead I tried to draw a figure from imagination and I did terribly, oh well.
eh.JPG

and before that I drew this, I kinda like it... a bit, that's kinda rare, these were mostly so I wouldn't get stuck just studying.
ehhh.JPG

Postby Drawringer » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:16 am

Drawringer

huge improvement, good stuff

Postby Kam » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:18 am

Kam

Drawringer wrote:huge improvement, good stuff

Thanks, not sure about improving much but I'll try until I make a good amount of change.

Postby Kam » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:31 am

Kam

I really have a hard time getting how to twist boxes, didn't try it with things like cylinders or random stuff much but yeah, tried to learn this months ago and it only slightly made more sense this time around but still it confuses me a lot, might as well pretend this is really advanced and I should attempt it later on.
DSC_0295.JPG

More twisting form suffering and bows and ribbons, I drew and still draw ribbons and bows on characters often and I honestly never had a good idea on how they work, not saying I do now but at least I'll make them look a bit more decent from now on, hopefully.
DSC_0297.JPG

Form drawing practice and for now keeping it simple in terms of subject.
DSC_0294.JPG

DSC_0296.JPG

Terrible beans and robo-beans, I feel like some of the robo-beans should've overlapped and I didn't do that.
DSC_0298.JPG

DSC_0299.JPG

Painting from reference again, didn't really do well and I got the colors really off on the banana, I don't know how off the kettle is because I didn't check the colors, I struggle with this a lot, might as well keep at it and see where it goes, I imagine It'll be absolute hell if I try something complicated like a figure if these are hard for me.
Also not sure if it's great that I kinda abuse the blur tool (Sai), it probably isn't.
hjhkjhkjkh.JPG

enhjgjh.JPG

Postby piikeo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:03 am

piikeo

i really like those ribbons and bows!!
the shading on them is really nice
sketchbook | tumblr | instagram 18/pink is my favourite colour

Postby Kam » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:35 pm

Kam

piikeo wrote:i really like those ribbons and bows!!
the shading on them is really nice

Thanks, I've been trying to figure out how to shade things, I've been at it pretty much since day but I feel like only recently I can kinda get it... still feels like I don't but I just hope this feeling kinda goes away not too long from now.

Postby Kam » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Kam

Form drawing... things, I don't know if I'm doing this right, so if I'm not or if anything is off I'd appreciate feedback, I've been kinda depressed (more than usual) so I can hardly get myself to sit down and draw even though I really want to, so these are all from the last few days.
I'm trying to think of a variety of things to draw (both hard and soft surface stuff) and see if I can figure out the forms in a more basic sense (boxes, cylinders, spheres blah blah)
for some I was unsure of what I was doing, for some the cross sections felt a bit more right, I'm not a huge fan of literally breaking them down into the basic shapes so I didn't exactly do that, at times doing that proves to make it a chore to build on and add details which is what comes after this (I think?), it took me a while to realize that the main reason I couldn't draw construction is because I was too bad with proportion, so these are kinda for practicing that too, while trying to see them as forms, I still look at the negative shapes and angles to try my best at getting proportions right.
DSC_0296.JPG

I hate sketching with a felt tip pen
DSC_0295.JPG

DSC_0294.JPG

a crop of a crap, I've gotten really confused with how I should approach coloring (painting?) recently, from how to control the tools to what colors to pick, I know a bit of color theory and how light works and so on, but I tend to have a really hard time making sense out of how a color would look under different lighting, so that's one thing I have no idea how to learn.
aside from that, I think I should go back to using a brush setting that has a fixed brush shape and controls opacity with pen pressure instead, and maybe study a few artists and by that I mean color pick their work and see what they used, then try to remember them for later, that's more or less how I've approached learning color for most of the part till now.
jhkjh.JPG

Next

Return to Sketchbook