Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby XFlameR » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:50 pm

XFlameR

Subject title: Ambiguity's Sketch Dump

neat (2x)
that feet study wrecked me so hard, that I have to try it too.

Very nice studies and figure drawings! : )

Postby lilla » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:32 pm

lilla

Ambi doing gestures??? You've been converted!! xD But they definitely look neat (3x)

Postby Alpacky » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Alpacky

So... much... effort o-o
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 7)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Wyntry » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:34 am

Wyntry

Loving all the gesture studies, bro.
But I'm noticing a trend of awesomeness for all the art that you are doing for others. Lol. Maybe more polish, but definitely seeing it... that and I love seeing the realism flare out in your work in your faces. And you gots OC'S! Yay!
Great work, definitely seeing some epic in these studies and...
...dat bunny. Lol.
"Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing". -Yamaoka Tesshu
Sketchbook: http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9424
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/wyntry_art/

Postby pseudome » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:04 am

pseudome

Holy hell, you're really shakin' it with those gestures, they've got great flow!

Postby Ambiguity » Mon May 01, 2017 2:02 am

Ambiguity

@kaique: Thank
@flem: You totally should, and thank you :).
@lilla: Tbh I don't like doing timed gestures, too hard to get anything to stick, but thank you.
@Alpacky: So... little... gain _(:|/Z
@Wyntry: Probably, it's hard for me to be motivated when I'm working for myself, and I really hate doing bad work when it's for someone else. Thanks for the compliments. They aren't actually my OCs, it's just an inside joke I have with other artists where I caricature their OCs and call them mine.
@pseudome: Thanks, glad to hear it. Proportions are a bit all over the place though :P.

These probably aren't that exciting to look at, but I've noticed for awhile now that most concept artists and illustrators are more scribbly in their rough sketches than peeps like Proko and Lemen. I think it lends itself to "discovery" better when trying to invent a pose, so I decided to start doing that too instead of worrying so much about drafstmanship in the early stages:
This one started out the same as the others, but I wanted to see if I could take one of those to completion. I think the pose got a bit too stiff on me, and she doesn't really feel well grounded either :P

Postby Ambiguity » Wed May 03, 2017 7:07 am

Ambiguity

Painting practice, no under drawings:
Harder to get the drawing to look correct this way, but definitely more fun for me than starting with lines.

Postby geryes » Wed May 03, 2017 6:18 pm

geryes

Despite what you think I really like those last sketches you did and i'm glad you are taking a more relaxed approach to it. The sketches look well grounded and loose and I see what you mean by the finished one being a little stiff and less grounded, but it's still great that you did the exercise. I think you should try it some more since the initial gestures look so great.

I think as far as your more finished pose, it just needs a slight adjustment of the arms to feel a little more relaxed and grounded like the image below. Not saying it's the right answer, but i think it's in the right direction.

What do you think?
Spoiler: show

Also I think the paintings look great too. My favorite is Fox from Metal Gear Solid :)
I too mainly draw girls. Sketchbook

Postby Ambiguity » Sat May 13, 2017 10:07 am

Ambiguity

geryes: Thanks, and yeah I don't think the solution is as simple as a "slight adjustment" though. Looking at it now I'm noticing a lot of mistakes with it.

More painting practice:
I tried to do some stuff in line too after this, instantly started hating life lol. Linear work really isn't for me, but I do need it if I want to draw traditionally :P.

Postby Engell79 » Sat May 13, 2017 11:06 am

Engell79

I'll just say that robot face with the deep bump in its head I really like. The depth of the indentation has a great feel it's like looking down upon something wen you looking at the red circle.

To bad u don't like lines cuz I love watching your line sketches of figures, they're nice idea refrences to look at...

So please keep makin em to make my life easier ha ha ha....

Postby Ambiguity » Thu May 18, 2017 2:59 am

Ambiguity

@Lasse: Thanks, he's actually a character from a video game, so I can't take full credit for indented heads lol. Thanks man, I hope you don't pick up any bad habits from them, I try my best with them, but it really is a struggle to think in line. I'll probably still do them because I need to be able to draw traditionally as well, but I definitely want to paint more now :).

Painting I did of Kurisustinah's characters:

Postby Joyce-Art » Thu May 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Joyce-Art

Ohh love the lighting and the design of the creature in you latest piece!

Postby Steeliebob » Thu May 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Steeliebob

Ambiguity wrote:but I've noticed for awhile now that most concept artists and illustrators are more scribbly in their rough sketches...

You can always clean up later on, right? Especially in digital.
I like the clean drawings though. Impressive to me. :D

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:15 am

Ambiguity

@Joyce: Thank you :).
@Steeliebob: Yeah that's the idea, and I wouldn't be too impressed, just takes some slowing down and thinking in basic volumes, but thanks :).

I decided I'm not gonna be posting as much stuff, I think I've been too much about getting recognition and it's been affecting my practice negatively. Here's a piece I finished recently though, worked on it for 40hrs. I really tried to push my current abilities to their limits, so I think it's the most accurate gauge of my skill level to date:

Postby sanguine » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:16 am

sanguine

Wow, really nice work Ambi. It's beautiful. I love the dramatic composition and the colors!

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Ambiguity

@sanguine: Thanks sang'!

Portraits of art buddies:
It was actually pretty tough to paint these, I haven't painted portraits from ref' in so long(last one was over a year ago) and none of the colors I used are in the original references. I'd say I'm rusty, but actually looking back at my old portraits, I don't think I actually pushed them very far, so it's not surprising I was struggling.

Postby L3V » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:27 pm

L3V

Whoah both of these portraits are great!

Postby Artenthusiast » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Artenthusiast

holy crap ambi, those two portraits are amazing! i love the depth :O
Aspiring concept artist/illustrator/graphic novelist

"With great power comes great bullshit."

My sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p196780

Postby KitKat » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:49 am

KitKat

Your art is always so neatly rendered
Jealous~~

Postby kipzi » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:04 am

kipzi

Love the lighting in the portraits. The one girls eyes look cartoon big!

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook