Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:59 pm

Ambiguity

Subject title: Ambiguity's Sketch Dump

My sketchbook was taken down by accident, I'm re-uploading it exactly as it was.

--Start of old sketchbook--
Not all of these are very recent, but I'll post 'em just so I have something up here o.- :

I used multiple (poor quality)photos of the same person to construct this face. I dunno why my sketches of people always turn out too cartoony though :\.

This is actually supposed to be my sister, I forgot I drew this. The likeness is pretty good actually.

Something I drew like 2 years ago with tons of reference(including the pose at the top). I had intended to make a finished piece, but I'd rather study more instead of making a bunch of crappy "finished" works.

I don't remember what I was doing here, but the original file is called "FacialPartsStudy.sai" so yeah...

The bottom left was a study, the rest are just random sketches from my head(including the bottom right eye).

Probably my most recent sketch, it's actually a study of one of Sycra's(from YouTube) old videos. I'm not sure if the hair makes any sense the way I did it.
Last edited by Ambiguity on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:59 pm

Ambiguity

A quick study of an unborn baby's skull:
It's really hard to check myself against the reference when I have to look up at it instead of it being right next to the sketch like in Photoshop.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:00 pm

Ambiguity

I spent 3 hours on this so I dunno if you'd call it a study anymore. It's just not right, but whatever:

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:01 pm

Ambiguity

Not sure why I chose to sketch in blue...

Anyways, I did some skull studies for proportion reasons so they aren't super detailed:
I realized just how well divided most heads are after doing this. That's something that I've heard talked about before by many other artists, but it didn't hammer home until I actually did studies myself.

This also made me realize how much I need to work on controlling my lines, I'm always tempted to chicken scratch. That's something I picked up from others since I was young and I was never told it was bad until way later, so it's a hard habit for me to break.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:01 pm

Ambiguity

Some pretty meh proportion studies, I seriously gotta remember to work on my line smoothness =P.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Ambiguity

did some posing with the stick figure skeleton as per Sycra's suggestion.

I had intended to do this without copying poses, but I couldn't do it =P :

Getting foreshortening to look right with circles and sticks is hard for me q.q, I'm not sure the 8 head method works so well for that either *shrug*.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Ambiguity

Derp:

.:Edit:.
Done from memory this time:
I obviously cleaned up the lines as well, initial sketch was much messier.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:03 pm

Ambiguity

I noticed the rib cage on my last one was way too big so I did some drawing practice. I obviously didn't gain any sort of consistency. What else could I expect from 1 practice session though =P.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Ambiguity

I did this for showing Josian something, but I liked it so much I thought I'd post it here:

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Ambiguity

A few face studies(I don't know if I'm learning anything though ):
I'm soooo slow, I have to keep telling myself speed will come later, but it's still a bit discouraging(especially when a lot of others can fill huge pages no problem). I've actually been painting a lot of faces lately, but they've all been turning out horrible(probably because I was subconsciously trying get the sketches done fast) so I've just been scrapping them.

I really need a good method for studying surface features, I realized after doing these that I don't understand how things are supposed to look in perspective. Even the right face is turned ever so slightly, not sure that's executed well though.

--End of old sketchbook--

Postby Minako008 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Minako008

The only thing I can say is about the face on the right. Remember that the distance between the eyes is one eye.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Ambiguity

Yeah, I did that one like 2 or 3 times, I just wasn't getting it. The ref' isn't the best quality, and her face is just ever so slightly turned to the left(her right). I think my brain just really want her to be facing straight so I ended up with that wonkiness =P. Oh well, mistakes are just part of the process I suppose.

Postby You » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:19 pm

You

The baby skull looks cute and I like how the statue came out.

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:23 am

Ambiguity

You: Thanks for compliments, glad you liked them :).

Here's a painting I've been working on of my mother for the past few days. It wasn't really a study because I knew I was going to refine a lot, and I was really just doing it for doing it. I think having to fix all my major mistakes had to have helped me some though, right?:
I had initially intended to color it, but I abandoned that idea early on, I just don't think I'm ready to paint in color yet. I wasn't really sure what to do on the hair, but I think it looks ok, I like the airbrushed look of it.

This painting has undergone some major changes since the initial sketch, I really need to take my time when doing that. I envy people who can get a very good likeness with just a few simple strokes, I hope I can get to that stage someday. For now I'm quite proud of how this turned out, it was surprisingly fun(or stress free at least) to paint :).
Last edited by Ambiguity on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fenix_N » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:55 am

Fenix_N

Awesome painting. The smile with teeth showing tend to be very hard to do, but you got it right. Good work :D

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:10 am

Ambiguity

Thanks, the mouth probably took me the longest, it was pretty tough for me. I had a good time though :).

Postby You » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:52 am

You

I love how the painting turned out!

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:04 am

Ambiguity

Don't yell at me!!...And thanks :D.

Postby virtueone » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:35 pm

virtueone

Ambiguity wrote:I envy people who can get a very good likeness with just a few simple strokes, I hope I can get to that stage someday.

I know, me too!!! I'm struggling with a portrait right now - they are not always as easy as one might think! Lol.
Ambiguity wrote:Image

I think the left cheek looks a little flat, compared to the right cheek which looks more round. Well done though! I'd love to see more!

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:49 pm

Ambiguity

virtueone wrote:I know, me too!!! I'm struggling with a portrait right now - they are not always as easy as one might think! Lol.

People think they're easy!? Lol.

virtueone wrote:I think the left cheek looks a little flat, compared to the right cheek which looks more round. Well done though! I'd love to see more!
Woops, you're right, I forgot to blend that edge.

.:Edit:.
Fixed a few things, including the cheek as per virtueone's suggestion:

Next

Return to Sketchbook