Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:59 pm

Ambiguity

Subject title: Ambiguity's Sketch Dump

My sketchbook was taken down by accident, I'm re-uploading it exactly as it was.

--Start of old sketchbook--
Not all of these are very recent, but I'll post 'em just so I have something up here o.- :

I used multiple (poor quality)photos of the same person to construct this face. I dunno why my sketches of people always turn out too cartoony though :\.

This is actually supposed to be my sister, I forgot I drew this. The likeness is pretty good actually.

Something I drew like 2 years ago with tons of reference(including the pose at the top). I had intended to make a finished piece, but I'd rather study more instead of making a bunch of crappy "finished" works.

I don't remember what I was doing here, but the original file is called "FacialPartsStudy.sai" so yeah...

The bottom left was a study, the rest are just random sketches from my head(including the bottom right eye).

Probably my most recent sketch, it's actually a study of one of Sycra's(from YouTube) old videos. I'm not sure if the hair makes any sense the way I did it.
Last edited by Ambiguity on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:59 pm

Ambiguity

A quick study of an unborn baby's skull:
It's really hard to check myself against the reference when I have to look up at it instead of it being right next to the sketch like in Photoshop.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:00 pm

Ambiguity

I spent 3 hours on this so I dunno if you'd call it a study anymore. It's just not right, but whatever:

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:01 pm

Ambiguity

Not sure why I chose to sketch in blue...

Anyways, I did some skull studies for proportion reasons so they aren't super detailed:
I realized just how well divided most heads are after doing this. That's something that I've heard talked about before by many other artists, but it didn't hammer home until I actually did studies myself.

This also made me realize how much I need to work on controlling my lines, I'm always tempted to chicken scratch. That's something I picked up from others since I was young and I was never told it was bad until way later, so it's a hard habit for me to break.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:01 pm

Ambiguity

Some pretty meh proportion studies, I seriously gotta remember to work on my line smoothness =P.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Ambiguity

did some posing with the stick figure skeleton as per Sycra's suggestion.

I had intended to do this without copying poses, but I couldn't do it =P :

Getting foreshortening to look right with circles and sticks is hard for me q.q, I'm not sure the 8 head method works so well for that either *shrug*.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Ambiguity

Derp:

.:Edit:.
Done from memory this time:
I obviously cleaned up the lines as well, initial sketch was much messier.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:03 pm

Ambiguity

I noticed the rib cage on my last one was way too big so I did some drawing practice. I obviously didn't gain any sort of consistency. What else could I expect from 1 practice session though =P.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Ambiguity

I did this for showing Josian something, but I liked it so much I thought I'd post it here:

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Ambiguity

A few face studies(I don't know if I'm learning anything though ):
I'm soooo slow, I have to keep telling myself speed will come later, but it's still a bit discouraging(especially when a lot of others can fill huge pages no problem). I've actually been painting a lot of faces lately, but they've all been turning out horrible(probably because I was subconsciously trying get the sketches done fast) so I've just been scrapping them.

I really need a good method for studying surface features, I realized after doing these that I don't understand how things are supposed to look in perspective. Even the right face is turned ever so slightly, not sure that's executed well though.

--End of old sketchbook--

Postby Minako008 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Minako008

The only thing I can say is about the face on the right. Remember that the distance between the eyes is one eye.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Ambiguity

Yeah, I did that one like 2 or 3 times, I just wasn't getting it. The ref' isn't the best quality, and her face is just ever so slightly turned to the left(her right). I think my brain just really want her to be facing straight so I ended up with that wonkiness =P. Oh well, mistakes are just part of the process I suppose.

Postby You » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:19 pm

You

The baby skull looks cute and I like how the statue came out.

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:23 am

Ambiguity

You: Thanks for compliments, glad you liked them :).

Here's a painting I've been working on of my mother for the past few days. It wasn't really a study because I knew I was going to refine a lot, and I was really just doing it for doing it. I think having to fix all my major mistakes had to have helped me some though, right?:
I had initially intended to color it, but I abandoned that idea early on, I just don't think I'm ready to paint in color yet. I wasn't really sure what to do on the hair, but I think it looks ok, I like the airbrushed look of it.

This painting has undergone some major changes since the initial sketch, I really need to take my time when doing that. I envy people who can get a very good likeness with just a few simple strokes, I hope I can get to that stage someday. For now I'm quite proud of how this turned out, it was surprisingly fun(or stress free at least) to paint :).
Last edited by Ambiguity on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fenix_N » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:55 am

Fenix_N

Awesome painting. The smile with teeth showing tend to be very hard to do, but you got it right. Good work :D

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:10 am

Ambiguity

Thanks, the mouth probably took me the longest, it was pretty tough for me. I had a good time though :).

Postby You » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:52 am

You

I love how the painting turned out!

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:04 am

Ambiguity

Don't yell at me!!...And thanks :D.

Postby virtueone » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:35 pm

virtueone

Ambiguity wrote:I envy people who can get a very good likeness with just a few simple strokes, I hope I can get to that stage someday.

I know, me too!!! I'm struggling with a portrait right now - they are not always as easy as one might think! Lol.
Ambiguity wrote:Image

I think the left cheek looks a little flat, compared to the right cheek which looks more round. Well done though! I'd love to see more!

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:49 pm

Ambiguity

virtueone wrote:I know, me too!!! I'm struggling with a portrait right now - they are not always as easy as one might think! Lol.

People think they're easy!? Lol.

virtueone wrote:I think the left cheek looks a little flat, compared to the right cheek which looks more round. Well done though! I'd love to see more!
Woops, you're right, I forgot to blend that edge.

.:Edit:.
Fixed a few things, including the cheek as per virtueone's suggestion:

Postby virtueone » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:40 am

virtueone

No new art??? :o

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:14 am

Ambiguity

virtueone wrote:No new art??? :o

Haha, I know, I need to start drawing more(Lizard-sheep is putting me to shame). I want to work on my anatomy more, but I don't really know where to start(no money for a book :P), I was thinking practicing something like this(but with people instead of horses):
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/what-is-a-study-anyway/
I think it's probably more for form and proportion, but I'm sure that would help with my anatomy later.

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:06 am

Ambiguity

Constructive anatomy head studies:
(slightly cut off, right-click>open image in new tab for full view)
The ones with necks were example copies, the rest were from my head(didn't know how to draw the neck in all those poses). The ones with an "x" next to them are failed attempts. I wasn't sure about that top right one, he is supposed to be looking down, maybe because there is no features it's hard to tell though.

P.S. Pretty sure it's impossibru to draw perfect circles digitally without chicken scratching or "cheating".

Postby You » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:08 pm

You

You should post more!

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Ambiguity

I just posted today Mr. Hamtaro.

Next

Return to Sketchbook