Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Fenix_N » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:51 am

Fenix_N

Subject title: Fenix's Sketchbook

Hey guys, welcome to my sketchbook. I'm a student trying to become a professional artist. Feel free to comment on and critique my stuff, as it will help me improve. Also feel free to ask questions, and I'll help you out. I will be updating this sketchbook at least once a day to keep improving.

Goal - Professional Concept Artist or Illustrator

Programs - Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel Painter, Alchemy

Influences - Tsutomi Nihei, Frank Frazetta, Paul Richards, Feng Zhu, Kekai Kotaki, Akihiko Yoshida

Resources
http://www.homeofthenutty.com
http://www.creativeuncut.com/
Last edited by Fenix_N on Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Postby Fenix_N » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:08 am

Fenix_N

This is a Frazetta study I did yesterday. It was my first time attempting a Frazetta study since my skills have been improving lately and I finally felt like I was ready to do a study from Frazetta. I like how he paints his girls, very fleshy and a bit muscular, so I wanted to learn his style a bit. He sometimes just add pure black to a color to make his shadows. His shadows and highlights contain both warm and cool colors. Both of these contradicts what I have learned so far, but he makes it work, which is pretty amazing. This study was pretty difficult because there were so many colors I had to try to figure out. In the end, it took me about 4.5 hours.

Nudity
Spoiler: show
8-19-2012 Frazetta Study.jpg

An ant study from yesterday. Used references but establish my own perspective system and drew them at a slightly different angle to train my ability to draw in perspective.

A study of a Chinese repeating crossbow from today. I thought it was a genius design and wanted to learn about how it worked to help me in my own designs in the future.

Postby Fenix_N » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:04 am

Fenix_N

Perspective practice with no reference to test my memory.

Hand drawing practice from reference to work on one of my weak points.

Some drawings of clothing from reference to build up my visual library.

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Ambiguity

Nice update Fenix, especially the hands. I like that you drew some from really dynamic angles.

Postby virtueone » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:39 am

virtueone

Dude..... it sucks your sketchbook got deleted! But its awesome that you're steadily posting new stuff... keep up the good work! I know the ant images were mostly for perspective/study, but I'd love to see those with some more details like hair and shadows and stuff - makes me want to go draw some insects... Hehe. Thanks. ;)

Postby SeaQuenchal » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:52 am

SeaQuenchal

Love the Frazetta study Fenix. I'm just recently starting to notice his stuff, and by Crom he's awesome! It's interesting, the way that he puts a little muscle on his girls makes them more life-like and so, IMHO, more attractive; another seeming contradiction, because they always say not to make the women too muscular. I'm sure it's a case of "you've to know the rules in order to bend them." Great study!
"Every artist was first an amateur." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone." -Lucretius

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter!!!

Postby gvkch » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:56 am

gvkch

Lovely sketchbook so far! I hope you'll post more for us to see!
The nude study came out very nice. Hope to see more!
* * * I'm a collector of stars. * * *
(/°[]°)/ <[!]

Postby Fenix_N » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:08 am

Fenix_N

@Ambiguity - Yea, trying to build a 3d image of a hand holding a gun. I always had problems drawing it when I sketch and I figured I should tackle it.
@virtueone - It is unfortunate, but I figured I still got the benefits of improving my skills from updating my old sketchbook even if it is gone. Just gotta keep up the practice in this new sketchbook. As for detailing, I guess I should work on it in my drawings, but I tend to save that for painting. But I need to improve my drawings anyways, so I guess adding more detail is a good idea.
@SeaQuenchal - Haha, I completely agree on the girls, although it's pretty difficult to do. Thinking about it... whenever I add muscles to girls, I tend to draw their breast smaller and with very tight abs, and they end up looking a bit too manly. I think it's from watching a lot of MMA in the past and I end up drawing girls with the same body type when I add muscles to them. Well, I guess I gotta learn where to add the fat and where to add the muscles.
@gvkch - Haha, thanks! I'm expecting this sketchbook to fill up pretty quickly with lots of stuff :D

It was a busy day so I wasn't able to do many studies. I decided to try drawing equipment belts and straps since I have never actually decided a study to them before. When I try sketching them, they usually turn into a jumble mess of lines and I figured it was because I didn't really understand how they tie together. Well, I figured it was important to learn how to draw them right since they are usually one of the cool parts of a good design. The top 3 are from references and the bottom 3 are my own designs. Can't say I feel very confident about those designs.
8-22-2012 Sketch Straps.jpg

Postby marvel57 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:45 pm

marvel57

Fenix just checking out your work and it's pretty good . I love to see those faint construction lines, it shows your doing it right . A lot of people just dive in with a 12B :( pencil and try to erase and correct much better to work it out lightly then go dark with confidence.that's my two-cents worth. Keep going!

Postby Fenix_N » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:51 am

Fenix_N

@marvel - Thanks man. Yea, I use construction lines to establish proportions before I start drawing. It just makes drawing easier.

I did a character design today. I like how the lineart turned out, but not so much the coloring.

Postby Fenix_N » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:40 am

Fenix_N

I felt like my design could be stronger with a few minor fixes. I did a sort of self-critique.

Postby marvel57 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:07 pm

marvel57

That girls got some thick ol'legs 8-) it looks very clean,I can't tell if it's digital or freehand.

Postby SeaQuenchal » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:10 am

SeaQuenchal

She does have thick legs :D but I kind of like it! I think it's more realistic than the typical comic book approach; it reminds me of the way Crumb draws his girls.
Nice costume job and cool equip. belt!

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!

Postby Fenix_N » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:38 am

Fenix_N

@marvel - Hmm.. I didn't even notice that. I guess I need to do some figure drawing again. I drew it in photoshop and then inked it. I guess it's freehand since I didn't use the pen tool.

@SeaQuenchal - The legs were not thick on purpose, but thanks for liking it. I'm not sure if it would be more stylistically consistent if I draw thinner legs when I do lineart like this. I guess I have to experiment one day.

Well, no studies today, but here is the WIP I've been working on today. Going to try to finish it tomorrow.

Postby marvel57 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:51 pm

marvel57

:geek: Hey Mon I'll reserve judgement on your current piece , but I TOOK a HARDER LOOK AT YOUR YOUNG LADY DRAWING AND IT SEEMS THAT THE MODELING/LIGHT. Onher tunic cause left breast to disappear,below the tunic its looks right and then it goes flat. Am I right ? Oh well what are critiques for ?

Postby Fenix_N » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Fenix_N

Yea, it does look flat. Thanks for pointing that out. By the way, feel free to critique my current piece. I work in layers so I can still change a lot of stuff around. Let me know if you notice anything weird with it.

Postby SeaQuenchal » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:06 pm

SeaQuenchal

Awesome work, he looks totally bad ass! The light plays off the shoulders and the blade of the sword really well. The curve on the front of the breastplate looks off to me though. I get that from the bottom it curves out, then in, and then back out at the point but it looks like the point slopes too much to the right? Overall it's really nice and I think it's going to look great when it's finished. The armor has a real sense of bulk and weight to it! Can't wait to see the finished work.

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!

Postby Fenix_N » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:39 pm

Fenix_N

Good eye man.. it does look weird to me now. I'm going to try to fix as best I can.

Postby Fenix_N » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:50 am

Fenix_N

I think I fixed his chest armor. I am also still trying to figure out a design to add to his pauldrons. I think I'm going to work on it more tomorrow and actually finish. Classes starts Monday and I might lose steam on this project if I don't finish him before then.

Postby marvel57 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:26 pm

marvel57

Hey I finally saw your tribute to frazetta ha, I kept looking never noticed to button , it's pretty cool! Not too many tackle frazetta but you definately got look/feel and the spirit of his,nice, by the way check out my Sketchbook when you've got time

Postby marvel57 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:34 pm

marvel57

PS the dude in armor, there something out of whack with proportion,I think it's either the head is to small and/or the hips and legs too big. Maybe draw a layer over with the full body to see if it actually fits, good luck

Postby Fenix_N » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:08 am

Fenix_N

@marvel, I found a photo ref in a similar pose and overlay it over him and it looked alright to me. His knees were a bit too high so I readjusted it. I also did some other small adjustments and fixes to value and coloring. I think I'm going to call him done for now. Today has been a bit of a lazy day for me since it's Sunday. Might work on him again sometime in the future, but probably not.

Postby Fenix_N » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:00 am

Fenix_N

Wasn't really planning to, but just felt like doing some figure studies from reference.

Postby Fenix_N » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Fenix_N

Some skull drawings from last night. I didn't get into the figure drawing class at my college this semester, which is a bit disappointing. Although it still looks like it's going to be pretty busy so less time for digital art. I'm still going to try to update everyday, or at least every other day.

Postby You » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:06 pm

You

I like the hands. I suggest you work more on the way you draw feet.

Next

Return to Sketchbook