Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Reub » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:57 pm

Reub

Subject title: Reub's Sketchbook

Hi im Reuben Foster i am an 18 year old graphic design student from Teesside University. I have set out to learn and progress more in art, i draw a a lot but its mostly logo concepts and things along those lines, i want to take drawing further and learn i found Sycras videos which brought me here. My ultimate goal is to get to a high standard at which i can produce work along the lines of what you see people like sycra and jet producing and also develop my own style, i know its along road and i have lots to learn but i thought here may be a good place to start.

This is the first digital sketching i have done just learning the female front view proportions, while also just trying to get better at sketching on my Wacom. I think the rubric i made is correct, i used jets video on this subject :D I'm literally a newbie when it comes to this side of art and drawing but thats why I'm here to learn. :>
Untitled-3.png
Last edited by Reub on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Postby Reub » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:58 pm

Reub

Any advice on the things i should be doing to start off with is welcomed i need all the advice i can get :D

Postby caiowcxs » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:14 pm

caiowcxs

Welcome to the forum! Hope you have a lot of fun in here! Proportions area subject that i love to study, so its not a surprise when i see you starting from there. As far as i can tell, most of your measurements are correct but i would bring the "base of breasts" a little closer to the nipples (if you analyze some reference you'll see that, generally speaking, the nipples are somewhat close to the end of the breast). In my personal opinion measuring the tip of the fingers is not that important, but that is 100% personal. Other than that i recommend you use http://drawabox.com/, it's a great resource with lots of good exercises, just read through the lessons carefuly and take your time, repeat things untill you feel comfortable with them and try to add some of the exercises to your daily warmups (another thing that i higly recommend). I can assure you that your art journey is going to be tough, but extremely rewarding! Work hard and you will see improvement! If you need anything, feel free to ask me! :D
Check out my sketchbook!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17415

Postby Reub » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:23 am

Reub

Thanks @caiowcxs ill be sure to check out the drawabox website. It hasn't even been a week that i have been back at this yet but i have a long way to go and I'm sure its gonna be a bumpy but ugly rewarding ride :>
Last edited by Reub on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Reub » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:37 am

Reub

Just a sketch off a tutorial video, I'm just trying to get more comfortable using the Wacom (I'm not saying this is good i know its just copied of a video i didn't use my imagination :D)
tut-sketch.png

Postby Reub » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:59 pm

Reub

Gonna get some form sketches done :<

Postby Reub » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:55 pm

Reub

Started of just sketching out the female form and then just doodled for a few minutes :>
form-and-doodle.png
Last edited by Reub on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Reub » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:19 pm

Reub

Just a 5 minute sketch using my imagination :>
imagination-doodle.png
Last edited by Reub on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby sanguine » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:27 pm

sanguine

I recognize that girl from Marc Brunet's video:) I suggest you draw from reference more often, especially for skeletal anatomy so you can get your landmarks down. Can't wait to see how you progress!

Postby Reub » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:08 pm

Reub

@sanguine Thanks for the advice I'll try drawing from reference for my next entry, you see the thing I struggle with the most I would say is the face, every time I attempt the face it just looks flat and so basic I need to work on that a lot more, do you think drawing from reference will help with that at all?

Postby sanguine » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:19 pm

sanguine

Of course! It also doesn't hurt to learn from other artists, especially comic cook art and disney and stuff like that. It's good to see how other people simplify the forms. But there is definitely no way of getting around learning the actual anatomy of the face:)

Postby Reub » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:18 pm

Reub

WIP i have just been drawing using an reference image from jazzas reference pack, only put in about half an hour so far :>
reference.png

Postby Reub » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:32 pm

Reub

Gonna eat then get some practise in :>

Return to Sketchbook