Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby iqhunter » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:33 am

iqhunter

Subject title: Alice's path to Wonderland.

I love your poses and creature designs O.o You really have a lot of mileage and imagination! Keep it up ;)

Postby Fantelle » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:35 am

Fantelle

Man, this is one fantastic sketchbook! I love the magma whale, those really creepy sea creatures, and the stunning material studies. I love the variety of your work.

Postby Valkhira » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:32 am

Valkhira

Unknown001 wrote:
And remember: You're shit. You're terrible at what you do. So why care about the failures? Just be free to enjoy this path.

Yeah... why care for the failures when we are shit? xD
The problem is that I never find an idea for a piece now days or am too anal for perfection XD

Btw, nice pieces 0.0

Basically :P
But it is understandable to struggle with it, you just have to keep repeating yourself that perfection has to come one piece at a time.
And if you're all out of ideas, either take suggestions or brainstorm some thumbnails with crazy shit. That's always very fun for me x').

Oh and thank you very much! =).

Yare wrote:Great Sirens design, really liking the texture and gesture of the tails.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like them. I enjoy doing flowy and shinny stuff a lot ^^

KurisuStinah wrote:I like how dark the portrait painting is! Also, I wish I could draw animals like you _(:3/

I believe reference + practice is the key! And thank you n.n

Oblongly wrote:holy guacamole batman! :o Do you work as a concept artist?!? Geez, definitly some inspiration, makes me want to bust out some crazy designs. Bombdigitytastic work!

Your comment always makes me smile, it's so flattering! Thank you for the kind words, it would definitely be awesome to be a concept artist, and I'm glad that I can inspire you ^^

sanguine wrote:There are some really cool fishy concepts here:) Nice work!

Hopefully there will be more in the future, thank you! =).

Koźlik wrote:Great work on these textures! I really like the magma thingy :)
Also the mermaids look super cool! And the deers look cute :D

Yeah, I must admit I'm quite proud of the magma study, glad you like it! n.n
Thank you! ^^

XFlameR wrote:Those concepts man... I wish I could do that, I like the texture studies and the magma thing too... man... I have no words how to express myself

Those words were more than enough, thank you very much ^^

PuRin0 wrote:I love those fish sketches they're really cool :D

Yeah, abyssal fishes are awesome! Thank you ^^

iqhunter wrote:I love your poses and creature designs O.o You really have a lot of mileage and imagination! Keep it up ;)

Thank you, glad you like them! I'll definitely try to keep it up =).

Fantelle wrote:
    Man, this is one fantastic sketchbook! I love the magma whale, those really creepy sea creatures, and the stunning material studies. I love the variety of your work.

Thank you for the kind words! I'm happy that you liked them, I've surely enjoyed doing more varied work ^^
My tradition is the art of superstition.
Follow the white rabbit: Alice's Sketchbook

Postby Valkhira » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:33 am

Valkhira

Damn it's so so good to finally be back with you guys! I've missed you a lot :3 (Aaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwhh...holy shit kill me before I lay eggs).

Anyway, kawaii shit aside, I wanted to confess why I haven't been here this whole month: Besides a couple of days here and there (which is when I've managed to make this pieces), I haven't drawn anything at all. After taking some days to rest on Christmas, I couldn't do anything close to what my skill level should be at this point, and that hit me so hard that my motivation just died. I... agh, I'll admit it: I felt ashamed. I didn't want to share any of those terrible failures, but at the same time I was so sad that I couldn't share art, because that's one of my favorite things to do.

So I became a sad edgy chibi, looking sadly at the distance, thinking: "Damn. I suck so much, maybe I should rethink my career and become a wh-..."

...ANYWAY. After a lot of effort I went back to my usual self and just painted what I wanted to paint at that time, doesn't matter if it's bad or weird or difficult. Just. DO IT. MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE. And now I'm prepared to start getting on track again ^^! I really want to keep working on the new stuff I've been doing, especially the creatures =).

Portrait of a horny horned girl

Ghuleh

Creature designs.

Weirdness.

Worm dragon WIP.

Postby Ragamuffin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:28 am

Ragamuffin

Really nice to see you posting again!
I'm a big believer in the "JUST DO IT" attitude.

I think the character on the first pic looks fantastic!
Digging the dragon sketch too, that's a cool composition :)

Postby lilla » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:16 am

lilla

Awesome to see you back again! :) I really dig those creature designs!! :0

Postby Koźlik » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Koźlik

Welcome back!
It's awesome to see you again, especially with all of these awesome drawings and paintings ^^
I think that the Ghuleh is my favourite from this bunch, you used very nice colors!
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby KeaneFox » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:57 pm

KeaneFox

I love your dragon design. That's an interesting looking dragon. You have your own flavor of creature designs.
We can be hard on our self some times. Glad to see you are back!

Postby DRaff210 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:32 pm

DRaff210

I totally get what you mean about getting into a funk you can't seem to get out of. It really is frustrating when you can't seem to make anything that you think you should be able to. But! Hearing that you're getting back on your feet and doing what you love is really inspiring. The "JUST DO IT" attitude really is the only way to get better! Anyway, as usual, I love your paintings and creature/character designs, especially the more spooky stuff. The ones under the Ghuleh seem almost... plantlike? Or maybe aquatic?

Postby yume » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:44 pm

yume

Your ghuleh is very nice :D i love it !
Your material studies amd the mermaids look awesome as well :)

Postby PuRin0 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:20 pm

PuRin0

I really love your Ghuleh and creature designs *o* keep making awesome stuff !!

Postby Valkhira » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:19 pm

Valkhira

Ragamuffin wrote:Really nice to see you posting again!
I'm a big believer in the "JUST DO IT" attitude.

I think the character on the first pic looks fantastic!
Digging the dragon sketch too, that's a cool composition :)

Thank you! Let's hope I can post more from now on =).
Glad you like them! I definitely have to make more horned people, they're so cool ^^ I should finish the dragon, too... which is giving me a pretty good headache btw @__@.

lilla wrote:Awesome to see you back again! :) I really dig those creature designs!! :0

Thanks Lilla! I enjoyed making those a lot =D.

Koźlik wrote:Welcome back!
It's awesome to see you again, especially with all of these awesome drawings and paintings ^^
I think that the Ghuleh is my favourite from this bunch, you used very nice colors!

Hi! It's great to be back too, I'm happy that I could post something nice for you guys to see ^o^.
The Ghuleh is my favorite too, it was so cool painting her. Thank you! =).

KeaneFox wrote:I love your dragon design. That's an interesting looking dragon. You have your own flavor of creature designs.
We can be hard on our self some times. Glad to see you are back!

Thank you ^^ It's nice to hear my creatures look interesting.
And yeah, we sure can. Hope it would be as easy to be nice with ourselves, too xP. Glad to be back!

DRaff210 wrote:I totally get what you mean about getting into a funk you can't seem to get out of. It really is frustrating when you can't seem to make anything that you think you should be able to. But! Hearing that you're getting back on your feet and doing what you love is really inspiring. The "JUST DO IT" attitude really is the only way to get better! Anyway, as usual, I love your paintings and creature/character designs, especially the more spooky stuff. The ones under the Ghuleh seem almost... plantlike? Or maybe aquatic?

Absolutely! There is nothing better than the feeling of looking back at bad times from the good ones, too! And being proud of making nice stuff again =D. So it's always worth the effort. It's good to hear that's inspiring =).
I felt so surprised when I read that! I never intended them to be plant-like or aquatic, but after reading that and looking at them again... I can completely see where you're coming from! The mask and "tubes" kind of look like something to get air underwater, and the second one could very well be some kind of fungus or something similar. That's a cool idea, for sure! My first idea was for the first one to be a pterodactil-human hybrid living in a toxic wasteland and the second to be an infested human flesh abomination ^^

yume wrote:Your ghuleh is very nice :D i love it !
Your material studies amd the mermaids look awesome as well :)

So do I! She's especial to me now, for sure =).
Thank you! ^^

PuRin0 wrote:I really love your Ghuleh and creature designs *o* keep making awesome stuff !!

Thank you very much, I definitely will try to! =).

Postby Valkhira » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:20 pm

Valkhira

Mostly lineart today! I've been working on finishing the dragon piece and trying out landscapes on the side, but it's proving to be catastrophically difficult ='D. I'll still work on the dragon, for sure, since I've left unfinished way too many pieces now, but it'll be a very slow process, I believe. Still, even if it ends up not being as good as I wanted it to be, it'll still be a victory on my part =).

The landscapes though...

...how do you even do that. Halp. No, seriously now, it's so frustrating... because I'm not getting it at all. Any of it @_@.

I guess I'll pick a couple of days to dedicate exclusively to doing terrible landscapes and posting them here like "Hey guys, this is Alice, professional landscape artist, if anyone wants a tutorial I'll gladly make one in my 2.000.000 subscribers Youtube channel...".

The Deer Seer. Yeah, I like word plays.

A buzzing creature.

Fishes from imagination.

Sea Creatures from imagination: the tentacle is love, tentacle is life edition.

Figure study from reference.

Postby Ragamuffin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:29 pm

Ragamuffin

Look at all these beautiful eldritch creatures :D
And i feel ya about landscapes, they confound me too.

Postby Kam » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Kam

Those fish designs from imagination look pretty cool especially the tentacle edition ones
landscapes are difficult, but if you approach them the same way as anything else they'll become manageable, by that I mean thinking of them as simple forms, since you did take a look at the famous artists course the chapter on forms actually has a fair number of examples that are landscapes, what I think that really comes into play with landscapes is using scale and atmospheric perspective to convey depth, I can't say much since I'm scared of attempting them as well (I'm scared of attempting everything recently)
but anyway seeing them as the same simple forms makes them more manageable in a way, I feel like we're intimidated since we see them as something really huge so they must be tough to draw as well.

Postby Artenthusiast » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:38 am

Artenthusiast

One word: WOW!

Those designs, that figure painting. Holy moly thats impressive!
Aspiring concept artist/illustrator/graphic novelist

"With great power comes great bullshit."

My sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p196780

Postby PuRin0 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:39 am

PuRin0

Woah !! your creatures are just Amazing *o* !!

Postby Xiphor » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Xiphor

That figure study looks good :D How long did it take? Also nice creatures!

Postby Valkhira » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:34 am

Valkhira

Ragamuffin wrote:Look at all these beautiful eldritch creatures :D
And i feel ya about landscapes, they confound me too.

Thanks for the kind words of support =').

Kam wrote:Those fish designs from imagination look pretty cool especially the tentacle edition ones
landscapes are difficult, but if you approach them the same way as anything else they'll become manageable, by that I mean thinking of them as simple forms, since you did take a look at the famous artists course the chapter on forms actually has a fair number of examples that are landscapes, what I think that really comes into play with landscapes is using scale and atmospheric perspective to convey depth, I can't say much since I'm scared of attempting them as well (I'm scared of attempting everything recently)
but anyway seeing them as the same simple forms makes them more manageable in a way, I feel like we're intimidated since we see them as something really huge so they must be tough to draw as well.

Thank you so much Kam! You always have great information and feedback in your comments, and I appreciate that a lot ^^
I took a look at the chapters about form and landscapes, and it was very useful. I'll continue reading when doing more landscape paintings, for sure, although my biggest problem at the moment I feel is the... feeling of the painting and the detailing, I think. A lot of paintings have this seemingly effortless texture effect that make them look much more realistic, while the ones I have... well, first one is too simple, but the second one feels... cartoony, maybe? I'll do some research about it, might be that I do need especial landscape brushes for this (difficult to find for Krita though).

Artenthusiast wrote:One word: WOW!

Those designs, that figure painting. Holy moly thats impressive!

Thank you very much, glad to hear my stuff is impressive ^^

PuRin0 wrote:Woah !! your creatures are just Amazing *o* !!

Thanks! Happy that you like them =).

Xiphor wrote:That figure study looks good :D How long did it take? Also nice creatures!

Thank you! It took about 4 hours, I believe (I'm very slow, though) =).

Postby Valkhira » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:34 am

Valkhira

A lot of experimenting and practice of things I'm not good at this time, since I've been making slightly bigger circles each time around my comfort zone instead of going out for a walk (which is probably necessary, after all this time).

First painting attempt (with color variation).

Went for something extremely simple for the first one, just so I wasn't that scared about it.

Image Image

Second attempt (with weird variation)

Made it more difficult this time. I don't like that the rock formations look like simple planes and have no texture at all, but I had no idea how to add it. Another thing I'll have to learn!

Image Image

Creature design and color variations.

Sci-fi character design.

Because I think I've never done anything really sci-fi (at least not that I can think of!).
Also, I'm aware of the fact that the hand aiming at the viewer is hard to read, it's a tragedy I'll have to live with for a while now :cry: That being said, I think I like this one, and I'm not at all desperately trying to like it because it took me 10 hours to do, not at all =') (please help me).

Very sketchy sketches I did to battle art block

Postby KeaneFox » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:04 am

KeaneFox

ًWhat an amazing artwork and designs! you made so much in like two weeks

Postby Koźlik » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:46 am

Koźlik

These experiments with colors look intresting! The 2nd version of rock formations looks better for me, thanks to the colors it looks more deep. The creature looks cool too :D
The sci fi character design is very good, your hard work payed off! ^^ I love her clothing and weapons. Also the sketches from art blok look cute :3
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby PuRin0 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:28 pm

PuRin0

Really interesting color studies ! and I really like your "Very sketchy sketches" :D did you try adding some rim light ? maybe it will help popping out the hand more ? Great work keep making awesome stuff :D

Postby Valkhira » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:09 pm

Valkhira

KeaneFox wrote:ًWhat an amazing artwork and designs! you made so much in like two weeks

Thank you so much! Hope I can go back to that volume of work soon, and glad you like the designs ^^

Koźlik wrote:These experiments with colors look intresting! The 2nd version of rock formations looks better for me, thanks to the colors it looks more deep. The creature looks cool too :D
The sci fi character design is very good, your hard work payed off! ^^ I love her clothing and weapons. Also the sketches from art blok look cute :3

Yeah, it sure looks more appealing because of the variety of tones! And thanks for the kind words, always helps to keep them in mind when working so hard! =).

PuRin0 wrote:Really interesting color studies ! and I really like your "Very sketchy sketches" :D did you try adding some rim light ? maybe it will help popping out the hand more ? Great work keep making awesome stuff :D

Very good suggestion, thank you! I actually don't play nearly enough with light in my work, so trying to keep that in mind will surely be helpful in the future. I'll try to remember to play around with rim light some time ^^

Postby Valkhira » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:10 pm

Valkhira

It has been a very long time, everyone. I missed sharing my art, and most importantly, having any art to share in the first place.
My break was way too long, so I am fully prepared to leave it behind. Until then, here are some tiny stuffs I managed to do this past few month.

Also, sorry to everyone for the late replies! I just didn't want to bump my topic without any art to show :3.

Some random sketches:

Male torso studies:

Portrait study:

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook