Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Valkhira » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:23 pm

Valkhira

Subject title: Alice's path to Wonderland.

Enter.
If you dare.

Quick portrait I did while being frustrated with faces looking wonky and not like I want them to look. This one is a big step closer, and it didn't take me that much, so I'm okay with it ^^.

Now, I wanted to make a big change for the next year:

No more portraits (unless they're of men, photo-studies, other creatures or have enough detail for me to learn new things), more full body images, more action, more detailed backgrounds, more men, more objects, animals, perspective. Basically, more of everything and less of being limited by what I know how to do. I'm done with being afraid and sad that I didn't improve enough. I'm going to ask more for critique and tips for what to improve on faster. I'm going to work more... on working smarter. I'm going to challenge myself and embrace the ugly.

Before I was walking, with my eyes on the floor, like I always do.

I'm going to run. And if I fall, so be it, I like scars.

And remember: You're shit. You're terrible at what you do. So why care about the failures? Just be free to enjoy this path.

I know, I know, I'm an idiot, what can I do :lol: Here's the work for the last few days =D!:

Practice with weird poses, more rendering of the body and trying to add more colors into the skin. And I swear, I didn't want it to look sexual, she's just being baddass... naked :lol: :

Sketchy perspective practice from reference:

Whales:

Tried painting them without lines and without any soft brushes to blend:

My tradition is the art of superstition.
Follow the white rabbit: Alice's Sketchbook

Postby AlwaysARookie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:33 pm

AlwaysARookie

Valkhira wrote:...you should keep dreaming and being happy, no matter the circumstances. Or try to, at least ^^

I like that :)

Since I am studying noses at the moment I noticed the one in your new stuff and it seemed of to me. I wanted to know why and tried to do a paintover. Maybe this is a bit helpful for you but I have only looked into noses for about two days so maybe I am wrong. I noticed some bluriness again maybe it is because of the resolution you use or because of the round brush. Would you like to be reminded of that or is it like your style? Because then I'll just be quiet about it ;) I also tried to make the eyes a tad sharper. Can not say much about the rest because you are way ahead of me.

Spoiler: show
paintover valkhira.JPG
Always open for critique and hangouts (or similar apps).

Sketchbook

Postby lilla » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:21 pm

lilla

Those are some sick wales!! I know it's hard to leave the comfort zone, but I'm sure will plenty of things to draw that you will really really enjoy! maybe some monstrous creatures, maybe some creepy forests, or maybe cute guys, who knows, it's exciting to find out! :D good luck in the new year with the resolutions in advance! you made awesome progress this year :)

Postby KeaneFox » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:56 am

KeaneFox

Yeah don't ignore all the improvement you made in the last year.I wish you good wonderful luck in the new year :D

Postby Koźlik » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:01 pm

Koźlik

I love that weird pose one... tho it doesn't seem weird for me at all :lol:
Also great job with the portrait, as always :) The poses from references look solid too!
And those whales look amazing! ^^

I wish you good luck with the new year change! I know that you'll do great !!! :D
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby Icyhands » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:59 am

Icyhands

I like scars

Great attitude to take. Your work is awesome. Looking forward to next years stuff.
Sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9681 DA - http://icyhands.deviantart.com

'the hell are you reading this? You should be drawing!

Postby Valkhira » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:15 am

Valkhira

AlwaysARookie wrote:
Valkhira wrote:...you should keep dreaming and being happy, no matter the circumstances. Or try to, at least ^^

I like that :)

Since I am studying noses at the moment I noticed the one in your new stuff and it seemed of to me. I wanted to know why and tried to do a paintover. Maybe this is a bit helpful for you but I have only looked into noses for about two days so maybe I am wrong. I noticed some bluriness again maybe it is because of the resolution you use or because of the round brush. Would you like to be reminded of that or is it like your style? Because then I'll just be quiet about it ;) I also tried to make the eyes a tad sharper. Can not say much about the rest because you are way ahead of me.

Spoiler: show
paintover valkhira.JPG

Thank you very much for the feedback, it's very appreciated ^^
On the topic of blurriness: There are instances in which I'd say it could be an stylistic choice, since I like ethereal and ghostly feeling art, so for example the portrait I did a while ago with a very dark background an a woman looking into the light: that's meant to have a weird out of focus feel to it, so I wouldn't be against a bit of blurriness. For other portraits, especially if they aren't of a dark or very mystical nature (or basically if you wouldn't see any logic to the character being out of focus in some places or all), then that's a problem I have with soft brushes. I really need to practice with hard brushes (which I'm doing right now) and look for tutorials and speedpaintings of artists that mainly use soft brushes, since this has been a problem for me since I started rendering my digital paintings. So thank you, I'll surely keep working on it ^^
And the nose was undefined, yes. I rounded everything out too much and didn't mind the structure enough. I'll keep it in mind, thanks for the paintover (and you did a good job with it too, for having done just a couple of days of studying).

lilla wrote:Those are some sick wales!! I know it's hard to leave the comfort zone, but I'm sure will plenty of things to draw that you will really really enjoy! maybe some monstrous creatures, maybe some creepy forests, or maybe cute guys, who knows, it's exciting to find out! :D good luck in the new year with the resolutions in advance! you made awesome progress this year :)

Thank you very much Lilla! Oh Gosh, you're giving me so many wonderful ideas *-* As I already say in the next post, it is indeed difficult to challenge yourself and leave the comfort zone, but at the same time it has opened a thousand new worlds I'd like to explore, and now I'm just so sad that I can't draw them all right now :lol: But it is exciting, for sure. Like a new adventure ^^
Thanks! I guess I should, as always, be a bit less harsh on myself =).

KeaneFox wrote:Yeah don't ignore all the improvement you made in the last year.I wish you good wonderful luck in the new year :D

Thank you! Yeah, it was a mistake to be so focused on wanting to do better that I didn't appreciate my past hard work. I did work a lot and, I mean, the first year is where you figure out how to start doing stuff more than anything, and that's something I did. So I guess it was a good first year. Thanks again! ^O^

Koźlik wrote:I love that weird pose one... tho it doesn't seem weird for me at all :lol:
Also great job with the portrait, as always :) The poses from references look solid too!
And those whales look amazing! ^^

I wish you good luck with the new year change! I know that you'll do great !!! :D

Why am I not surprised :lol:
Thank you so much Koz, it's always nice to hear stuff like this n.n I'll try to make that change real, that's for sure.

Icyhands wrote:
I like scars

Great attitude to take. Your work is awesome. Looking forward to next years stuff.

Thank you very much, I'm very glad you find my work awesome. I'll definitely try to keep that up ^^

Postby Valkhira » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:16 am

Valkhira

Helloooooooo! I've been experimenting a lot with more animals, creature design, making more non-human characters and other stuff, and it has been very fun and interesting so far! Of course, having to do something almost completely new each day it's difficult, and it's even more so when you fail terribly :lol: ,but it is a great experience ^^

I have a lot of studies, but not only that, expanding what I draw has given me lots of ideas =D. Sadly, while I have a couple of illustration sketches done already, I feel like there is just way too much I wouldn't know how to do, so, they're unfinished. Hopefully that won't be for too long, though! n.n

More completely normal whales that wouldn't eat you alive:

Rock and stone studies:

Magma whale (aka DeathWhale). I wanted to do just a quick concept piece with this one, but I feel like it ended up feeling a bit... unfinished and unpolished. But I still like it, so I'll try to make it better next time ^^:

Another design for my elveons. I wanted to make them less human and work a bit more with white-ish hair. I also wanted to make the edges very clear on this one:

Creature teeth studies:

Deep sea fishes:

The illustration concept. It's very messy! I want her to be a giant kind of lamia, but instead of half-serpent, she's half-oriental dragon, some kind of spiritual or elemental wise creature that comes to temples from time to time to hear the needs of the humans. Or, you know, to fuck with them :lol: I don't know yet. I feel the need to write, since that would be more helpful for the backstory, but while writing has always been a great part of me, I feel scared of using too much of my time for it instead of working on art. But I'll see. For now, I just need to work on finding a good way to do the background and creating a first design of her, with oriental-fantasy clothing and all. It doesn't need to be perfect the first time, right?

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:20 am

Ambiguity

Wow, I wish I still had the imagination and creativity to come up with as much stuff as you do, it's why I only draw female portraits :).

Postby Engell79 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Engell79

im impressed

you have a very high diversity in your subjects of drawing, and u seem to pull it off looking really good.
from fish, to elves to magma.....

do you use lots of refrence for it, or is much of it "freehand?"

Postby Valkhira » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:40 am

Valkhira

Ambiguity wrote:Wow, I wish I still had the imagination and creativity to come up with as much stuff as you do, it's why I only draw female portraits :).

Thank you very much! I appreciate the compliment ^^ My way of being imaginative is just to take what I've learned and apply it to other things though (magma study + whales study = magma whale; fishes study + gesture = sirens), being what I've learned just random stuff from Pinterest. You should try it one day, if you want! It's pretty fun, and definitely helps with creativity =).

Engell79 wrote:im impressed

you have a very high diversity in your subjects of drawing, and u seem to pull it off looking really good.
from fish, to elves to magma.....

do you use lots of refrence for it, or is much of it "freehand?"

Thanks ^^ Nice to hear you're impressed!
Except for the human-like creatures (the illustration idea, the elves, the sirens on my next post) and some animal creatures (like the magma whale), every study I do is usually done with reference. For the latest animal studies (whales, fishes, deers) I search interesting poses/perspective and sketch very roughly the basic structure of the animal. After that I add a couple of details needed to make it look like the animal or that I just find cool. Then, without looking at reference (unless I'm lost somewhere) I do the lineart upon the sketches, taking liberties and trying to add and transform as much stuff as I can without it losing the vital likeness to the animal. With this first studies they're pretty similar, since I haven't drawn many animals; but it's a matter of practice.
But those are just to expand my visual library, so I can add cooler stuff to my characters and creatures. For other studies, like the material ones, I try to use as many references as possible, since that's the best way to get all the info you can on the subject and at the same time not completely copy the style of the one you're looking at.

Postby Valkhira » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:41 am

Valkhira

Material studies (multiple references): A redraw of magma, scales and white fur.
So I decided that I wasn't pushing myself as much as I could with my studies, and I wanted to take it to the next level, so I took as many reference photos of this materials I could find and tried my best to do them justice. I might have gone a little too far with them, since I slowed down to one per day (I am resting a bit now though, since it's Christmas ^^), but I'm pretty happy with them. The magma one is to draw another magma creature (or humanoid character) soon, since my first try could use a bit more polish. The scales and white fur are for my oriental dragon character!

Sambar deer studies (one reference each, visual library stuff).
Did you know that adult male and pregnant female sambar deers have a blood-red spot on their necks? Apparently is some kind of glandule that spills white liquid. Damn. Anyway, this are asian deers, and I believe the're the inspiration for oriental dragon's antlers (if they're not, well, they're very similar).

Sirens of the Mirror (from imagination).

"Don't fall into the water, Alice. They're crazier than you."

Do you know why some of my whales have spider-like eyes? I don't, but I think they do. This sirens prey on the giant creatures and attack them, taking advantage of their slow and clumsy moves. The eyes, that's what they want. Crush them, put them in their foreheads like treasured gems. They say it lets them look into the deep. They chant. I hear.

Fuck. Wonderland is leaking.

Postby Unknown001 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:47 am

Unknown001

And remember: You're shit. You're terrible at what you do. So why care about the failures? Just be free to enjoy this path.

Yeah... why care for the failures when we are shit? xD
The problem is that I never find an idea for a piece now days or am too anal for perfection XD

Btw, nice pieces 0.0
No excuses, you are where you are because of you and nobody else. Just stop coming up with excuses, get up and start running or time will leave you behind.

My sketchbook: http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68576

Postby Yare » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Yare

Great Sirens design, really liking the texture and gesture of the tails.

Postby KurisuStinah » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:53 am

KurisuStinah

I like how dark the portrait painting is! Also, I wish I could draw animals like you _(:3/

Postby Oblongly » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:33 am

Oblongly

holy guacamole batman! :o Do you work as a concept artist?!? Geez, definitly some inspiration, makes me want to bust out some crazy designs. Bombdigitytastic work!
F. 21. Working towards becoming a professional concept artist/ hobby animator

My Sketchbook
http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73873

Postby sanguine » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:34 am

sanguine

There are some really cool fishy concepts here:) Nice work!

Postby Koźlik » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:13 am

Koźlik

Great work on these textures! I really like the magma thingy :)
Also the mermaids look super cool! And the deers look cute :D
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby XFlameR » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:56 pm

XFlameR

Those concepts man... I wish I could do that, I like the texture studies and the magma thing too... man... I have no words how to express myself

Postby PuRin0 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:17 pm

PuRin0

I love those fish sketches they're really cool :D

Postby iqhunter » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:33 am

iqhunter

I love your poses and creature designs O.o You really have a lot of mileage and imagination! Keep it up ;)

Postby Fantelle » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:35 am

Fantelle

Man, this is one fantastic sketchbook! I love the magma whale, those really creepy sea creatures, and the stunning material studies. I love the variety of your work.

Postby Valkhira » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:32 am

Valkhira

Unknown001 wrote:

Yeah... why care for the failures when we are shit? xD
The problem is that I never find an idea for a piece now days or am too anal for perfection XD

Btw, nice pieces 0.0

Basically :P
But it is understandable to struggle with it, you just have to keep repeating yourself that perfection has to come one piece at a time.
And if you're all out of ideas, either take suggestions or brainstorm some thumbnails with crazy shit. That's always very fun for me x').

Oh and thank you very much! =).

Yare wrote:Great Sirens design, really liking the texture and gesture of the tails.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like them. I enjoy doing flowy and shinny stuff a lot ^^

KurisuStinah wrote:I like how dark the portrait painting is! Also, I wish I could draw animals like you _(:3/

I believe reference + practice is the key! And thank you n.n

Oblongly wrote:holy guacamole batman! :o Do you work as a concept artist?!? Geez, definitly some inspiration, makes me want to bust out some crazy designs. Bombdigitytastic work!

Your comment always makes me smile, it's so flattering! Thank you for the kind words, it would definitely be awesome to be a concept artist, and I'm glad that I can inspire you ^^

sanguine wrote:There are some really cool fishy concepts here:) Nice work!

Hopefully there will be more in the future, thank you! =).

Koźlik wrote:Great work on these textures! I really like the magma thingy :)
Also the mermaids look super cool! And the deers look cute :D

Yeah, I must admit I'm quite proud of the magma study, glad you like it! n.n
Thank you! ^^

XFlameR wrote:Those concepts man... I wish I could do that, I like the texture studies and the magma thing too... man... I have no words how to express myself

Those words were more than enough, thank you very much ^^

PuRin0 wrote:I love those fish sketches they're really cool :D

Yeah, abyssal fishes are awesome! Thank you ^^

iqhunter wrote:I love your poses and creature designs O.o You really have a lot of mileage and imagination! Keep it up ;)

Thank you, glad you like them! I'll definitely try to keep it up =).

Fantelle wrote:
    Man, this is one fantastic sketchbook! I love the magma whale, those really creepy sea creatures, and the stunning material studies. I love the variety of your work.

Thank you for the kind words! I'm happy that you liked them, I've surely enjoyed doing more varied work ^^

Postby Valkhira » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:33 am

Valkhira

Damn it's so so good to finally be back with you guys! I've missed you a lot :3 (Aaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwhh...holy shit kill me before I lay eggs).

Anyway, kawaii shit aside, I wanted to confess why I haven't been here this whole month: Besides a couple of days here and there (which is when I've managed to make this pieces), I haven't drawn anything at all. After taking some days to rest on Christmas, I couldn't do anything close to what my skill level should be at this point, and that hit me so hard that my motivation just died. I... agh, I'll admit it: I felt ashamed. I didn't want to share any of those terrible failures, but at the same time I was so sad that I couldn't share art, because that's one of my favorite things to do.

So I became a sad edgy chibi, looking sadly at the distance, thinking: "Damn. I suck so much, maybe I should rethink my career and become a wh-..."

...ANYWAY. After a lot of effort I went back to my usual self and just painted what I wanted to paint at that time, doesn't matter if it's bad or weird or difficult. Just. DO IT. MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE. And now I'm prepared to start getting on track again ^^! I really want to keep working on the new stuff I've been doing, especially the creatures =).

Portrait of a horny horned girl

Ghuleh

Creature designs.

Weirdness.

Worm dragon WIP.

Postby Ragamuffin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:28 am

Ragamuffin

Really nice to see you posting again!
I'm a big believer in the "JUST DO IT" attitude.

I think the character on the first pic looks fantastic!
Digging the dragon sketch too, that's a cool composition :)

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook