Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby piikeo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:06 am

piikeo

Subject title: Alice's path to Wonderland.

those folds studies are amazing omg
sketchbook | tumblr | instagram 18/pink is my favourite colour

Postby Valkhira » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:43 pm

Valkhira

Ragamuffin wrote:Nice! Is It Michael Hampton you're studying? or maybe Bridgman? I think i remember the seven types of folds from one of these books... hm, it's been a while since i practiced drapery.

On a separate note, there's something really cool about the hair on those first two figures :D

Thank you! I try making hair as dynamic and flowy as I can, or at the very least have it mark the direction of the gesture (or contrast it) ^^
Oh and I'm studying the recommendations from this post. For the types of folds I've generally used The Famous Artist's Course chapter 7 on drapery and clothing =).

KeaneFox wrote:Strong studies and very good work. Keep up.

Thank you very much, I'll try! =).

Xiphor wrote:Damn those cloth studies look so good!

Thank you! ^^

Artenthusiast wrote:Woaw some really nice things in your latest post!!

Thanks =D.

piikeo wrote:those folds studies are amazing omg

Thank you ^^.
My tradition is the art of superstition.
Follow the white rabbit: Alice's Sketchbook

Postby Valkhira » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:44 pm

Valkhira

Well, today I've come to the conclusion that I don't have art blocks: I have life blocks. 0/10 Do not recommend =').

A character sketch (aka Alice has no idea how horses work):

Metal study:

A couple of Diablo III inspired wizard sets. First one is inspired on the starting set and it's hopefully very different, which is good I think (although it looks more elven-ly than wizard-y), and the second one is a bit more similar to the original. The character is my wizard with the black soulstone... because that's the edgy thing to do, of course. Also... is that me trying out stuff in color? Damn:

Image Image

Postby geryes » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:55 pm

geryes

Love those drapery studies you've done. What do you recommend for a good drapery tutorial?
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:41 pm

NesoKaiyoH

Lovely work! I really like how you've shaded the gemstones on that last character. Definitely would suggest looking up horse anatomy though, those poor legs are difficult to take in xD

I drew over it a bit to give you more of an idea of the anatomy involved;

Spoiler: show

Basically I went to the source of what was wrong, the legs, and the length. This is the biggest problem with this drawing, so what I did was I drew over the original female figure, and I elongated the torso of the horse considerably, and also make it taller as I'd assume the horse part of the body is horse sized in relation to the human part? I drew a super basic skeleton of the legs and ribcage, and the brown symbolises the flesh and skin over the top. If you're struggling with something, don't be afraid to reference it or study it! Hope this helps anyways xD
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby Valkhira » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:37 pm

Valkhira

geryes wrote:Love those drapery studies you've done. What do you recommend for a good drapery tutorial?

Thank you! ^^ Well, the best source for me was The Famous Artist's Course, chapter 7 on drapery and clothing. That was difficult to get though, so in case you don't find it, this was recommended to me too: Link. It has the types of folds very well explained.

NesoKaiyoH wrote:Lovely work! I really like how you've shaded the gemstones on that last character. Definitely would suggest looking up horse anatomy though, those poor legs are difficult to take in xD

I drew over it a bit to give you more of an idea of the anatomy involved;

Basically I went to the source of what was wrong, the legs, and the length. This is the biggest problem with this drawing, so what I did was I drew over the original female figure, and I elongated the torso of the horse considerably, and also make it taller as I'd assume the horse part of the body is horse sized in relation to the human part? I drew a super basic skeleton of the legs and ribcage, and the brown symbolises the flesh and skin over the top. If you're struggling with something, don't be afraid to reference it or study it! Hope this helps anyways xD

Thank you very much =).
Haha, yeah I know, I haven't seen many horses in my life and it definitely shows :lol: . It was just a lazy sketch, that's why I said "fuck it" and drew it however a derpy horse would look in my mind, but that is definitely no excuse! Next time I'll take a quick look at reference before doing something like this, it doesn't take that much time anyway.
Oh and thank you so much for the critique, it was extremely helpful! The horse part is definitely bigger in many artworks, unless it's a deer or other smaller creatures. And the legs should definitely be longer. I'll take it into account next time ^^

Postby Oli » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Oli

nice studies there! What an improvement!
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Koźlik » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:40 pm

Koźlik

That's a pretty centaur lady :D
Your other stuff looks very good too. Especiallt the metal study.
Oh, and i hope that you feel better with your "life block" :<
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby Valkhira » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:21 pm

Valkhira

Oli wrote:nice studies there! What an improvement!

Thank you so much Oli, it's always nice to hear you've improved ^^

Koźlik wrote:That's a pretty centaur lady :D
Your other stuff looks very good too. Especiallt the metal study.
Oh, and i hope that you feel better with your "life block" :<

Oh thanks Koz, I'm a lot better now =D.
And thank you, I'm glad you like it, I was quite happy with that metal study ^^

Postby Valkhira » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:21 pm

Valkhira

Hello again! ^^
This is a piece I've been doing for the past few days, and it is inspired by one of the musicians I loved most as a child <3. It took me maybe too long to finish it (around 10 hours), but I think this time it was completely worth it: I feel like I've practiced and experimented with a lot of things, learned something more every hour that I was working on it =). Now I'll just go back to quicker studies though, hopefully I can post more here too.

Postby Valkhira » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Valkhira

Colored and final version:

...My childhood photo-editing skillz are showing :lol:

Postby Koźlik » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:32 pm

Koźlik

She looks so cute! I love the rendering and colors :D
Also good job with the details like her tattoos and the anatomy of her hand ^^

One thing that feels a bit strange for me is her further breast. Don't know if girls like to look at the reference photos of them as much as boys do, but you can try study from them a bit :P
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby KeaneFox » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:29 am

KeaneFox

Good work I love how you did the hand hair and all the details.
I agree with Koz on the breasts. I didn't study breasts so I'm not sure what is odd about them. Also don't be afraid of adding shadows inside the eyes. if the eye is in the shadow you can give it a bit darker value.
Its a gorgeous work. Your art going in a good direction.

Postby Valkhira » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:39 am

Valkhira

Koźlik wrote:She looks so cute! I love the rendering and colors :D
Also good job with the details like her tattoos and the anatomy of her hand ^^

One thing that feels a bit strange for me is her further breast. Don't know if girls like to look at the reference photos of them as much as boys do, but you can try study from them a bit :P

Thank you very much Koz! The hand gave me a lot of trouble, so I'm glad it looks okay =).
And you're so right about the breasts, I was so focused on finishing the rendering that I missed their misplacement. I think it's more of a problem with perspective than anything, but how could I say no to doing some boob studies :lol: I'll look at some reference next time, just in case. Ty =).

KeaneFox wrote:Good work I love how you did the hand hair and all the details.
I agree with Koz on the breasts. I didn't study breasts so I'm not sure what is odd about them. Also don't be afraid of adding shadows inside the eyes. if the eye is in the shadow you can give it a bit darker value.
Its a gorgeous work. Your art going in a good direction.

Yeah, the breast is too close to the other one I think. I didn't take into account well enough the volume of the rib cage when I was doing the sketch I think, I'll take more care next time ^^ Oh and thanks for the tip! I could have made that other eye darker, you're right =).
And thank you very much, it's great to hear that after so much work! ^^

Postby Valkhira » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:40 am

Valkhira

When I was a girl, I had a fear of spiders.

I was told they felt no emotion.

That their hearts never beat.

But I know the truth.

At the moment of the kill, they are never more alive.

Widowmaker. 5 hours.
I'm starting to try making faster pieces: after all, I need a lot of practice.
Text is from the Overwatch cinematic 'Alive'.

Postby Ragamuffin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:44 am

Ragamuffin

Great work on the last paintings! I like the hair on the tattooed lady :D

Postby Fantelle » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:49 pm

Fantelle

Awesome work, great line weight on your traditional stuff! ^^

Postby geryes » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:47 pm

geryes

I think this piece turned out really well. Great job on it. :)

I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby Engell79 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:23 am

Engell79

i know you do tons more advanced stuff, but theres something about this picture that just speaks to me, really like it.

Postby Steeliebob » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:19 pm

Steeliebob

The cupcake girl looks great. Good job on the painting work. :)

Postby lilla » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:38 pm

lilla

I love the tattoos on the cupcake girl! the perfect mix of badass and cute :D also great work on the last one, I so love all your female characters!

Postby DRaff210 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:40 am

DRaff210

Your paintings are wonderful! I think my favorite thing about your work is your sense of color - everything seems unified without feeling flat or boring. Like, the cupcake girl painting has a very prominent red/pink color scheme, but the focus is clearly on her face and her eyes. The lighting on the Widowmaker painting is really interesting, too!

Postby Decimus » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Decimus

Excellent feminine qualities in your drawings. They are giving me inspirations and ideas i want to carry out in the future after i finish my 3 month chore :evil:

I hope you continue with the clothing and hair development if that path complements your current one and i also agree about the difficulty of the male form. When i draw a full male especially with muslces it feels like parts of their bodies are naturally in conflict/fighting with each other, i dunno, that's one experiment i want to carry out in the future. As for you though i hope you continue developing your path.
a.jpg

Postby Valkhira » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:13 pm

Valkhira

Ragamuffin wrote:Great work on the last paintings! I like the hair on the tattooed lady :D

Thank you! That's one of my favorite parts, glad you like it too ^^.

Fantelle wrote:
    Awesome work, great line weight on your traditional stuff! ^^

Thanks! I focus a lot on that, nice to see it works =).

geryes wrote:I think this piece turned out really well. Great job on it. :)

Thank you very much ^^

Engell79 wrote:i know you do tons more advanced stuff, but theres something about this picture that just speaks to me, really like it.

I had so much fun doing that lineart... I love drawing flowy hair. I think I kinda know what you mean, that piece has a little place in my heart ^^ Thank you.

Steeliebob wrote:The cupcake girl looks great. Good job on the painting work. :)

Thank you =).
lilla wrote:I love the tattoos on the cupcake girl! the perfect mix of badass and cute :D also great work on the last one, I so love all your female characters!

I loved making those tatoos, and I really want to draw more of them, and more cute/badass stuff would be cool ^^ Thank you, I'm glad you like them =D!

DRaff210 wrote:Your paintings are wonderful! I think my favorite thing about your work is your sense of color - everything seems unified without feeling flat or boring. Like, the cupcake girl painting has a very prominent red/pink color scheme, but the focus is clearly on her face and her eyes. The lighting on the Widowmaker painting is really interesting, too!

Thank you for the kind words! I never thought I'd read something like that, to be honest: I'm not that familiar with color! But it is true that I try to make everything feel a part of the picture, and I like doing strong highlights and strong focal points. And the lightning colors on Widowmaker are one of my favorite things from it, so I'm very happy that others like it as well =D!

Decimus wrote:Excellent feminine qualities in your drawings. They are giving me inspirations and ideas i want to carry out in the future after i finish my 3 month chore :evil:

I hope you continue with the clothing and hair development if that path complements your current one and i also agree about the difficulty of the male form. When i draw a full male especially with muslces it feels like parts of their bodies are naturally in conflict/fighting with each other, i dunno, that's one experiment i want to carry out in the future. As for you though i hope you continue developing your path.

Thank you! Ethereal creatures and scenes are one of my favorite things, so flowing hair/cloth and gestures are going to be something I should be doing a lot more =D.
Yes, I couldn't agree more with that! To me drawing women is like bending air or water, while drawing men is like trying to make a rock dance. Maybe I just shouldn't be trying to make mountains do anything more than... being there :lol:
I should also look at male art to see how others do it, maybe there's something I haven't understood yet =).

Postby Valkhira » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:13 pm

Valkhira

An experiment on color and shape:

More shape-oriented cartoony stuff:

Female portrait study. I failed my goal to try realism, but I still pushed myself to work with color and practice hair a bit more:

With the reference:

And this is the one I've finished today. I don't know what I did to deserve this punishment... oh, right, I was very angry at myself for making another cute female portrait, so I made myself try to draw a sharp older male... and to make it worse, I fucking love this man, so it was painful to fail so much at trying to get his face right. In the end, I mixed all the tries I had and made it out of focus. And I kid you not, it was to represent my anger. Yay for artistic bullshit :lol:

I do like it that way though, I hope it looks cool to others too ^^:

With reference:

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook