Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Moe » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:08 pm

Moe

Subject title: Alice's path to Wonderland.

Those imagination figures have some pretty interesting silhouettes.

Postby rockmor » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:12 pm

rockmor

Very nice studies, keep'em up!

Postby Xiphor » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:47 pm

Xiphor

Damn those hands look so nice xD Good job man :D

Postby Josephcow » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:05 am

Josephcow

Wow you're recent figure and hand drawings are amazing! They look really solid

Postby Valkhira » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Valkhira

Kam wrote:Those figures from imagination turned out pretty well tbh, I wish I had the guts to attempt it more often but I only end up trying it when I want to attempt a more finished thing and that hasn't happened for a while now... the lines don't look too scratchy to me, at least... not scratchy in an unappealing way so I think it's fine, I don't think there's any reason to fuss over it too much when you can simply clean it up on a new layer, some pros are really anal about making clean lines even on the initial sketch but I honestly don't think it's possible to have great line economy without great experience and that's gonna take at least a few years of serious practice to get to.

Also it's fine to not do Inktober, I only wanted to do it to obligate myself to draw everyday but even though I'm behind on it a bit I still did draw everyday so whatever I guess? I'll probably catch up but I hate the idea of trying to make even small finished drawings so often because they never look finished and good to me, then the persisting problem of not knowing what to draw makes it difficult so I mostly just resorted to fanart... guess it's fine, for now.

Thank you Kam!
Yeah, I was a bit worried because of what all those pros usually say, but I do prefer to do a very messy first sketch and then make cleaner lines over it, so I guess it's ok.
Oh and I feel you with the Inktober bit, I didn't know what to draw anymore either, it was quite the headache ='). I thought that a good solution could be to do a theme, like the horoscope or tarot or something similar, and then apply it to something I am comfortable drawing (maybe faces of animals transformed into humans, and each one has something that reminds you of the animal they were), that way I'd knew what to do each day. Ultimately though, I believe the best thing one can do is to not be too harsh with the pieces: we often think they're worse than they really are, and if they're not studies, it is okey to not push ourselves too much and just enjoy the creative process for a while. After all, Inktober is just a fun challenge, right?

Chromab wrote:Hey, I just saw your inktober drawings and they are cool, but I guess is better for you to focus on studies.
Btw,
Kam wrote:Those figures from imagination turned out pretty well tbh, I wish I had the guts to attempt it more often but I only end up trying it when I want to attempt a more finished thing and that hasn't happened for a while now...
That's what I always do...I get bored doing studies and never finish them

Thank you. I'll probably do more inked pieces in the future, so my sketchbook won't be missing inks forever (hopefully!).

KeaneFox wrote:Good work on the hand studies.

Thank you very much ^^

Moe wrote:Those imagination figures have some pretty interesting silhouettes.

Thanks! I was trying to make them interesting, so I'm glad they are =).

rockmor wrote:Very nice studies, keep'em up!

Thanks! I'll try ^^

Xiphor wrote:Damn those hands look so nice xD Good job man :D

They may be good from reference, but they sure aren't when I do them from imagination, ha x'). Thanks! =D.

Josephcow wrote:Wow you're recent figure and hand drawings are amazing! They look really solid

Thank you very much, I'm happy to hear that =).
My tradition is the art of superstition.
Follow the white rabbit: Alice's Sketchbook

Postby Valkhira » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Valkhira

More figure drawing. Gesture from reference, everything else from imagination.

A couple of eye studies:

Postby geryes » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:47 pm

geryes

Those ones from your imagination turned out really nice. I really like the flow of your forms.
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby Valkhira » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Valkhira

geryes wrote:Those ones from your imagination turned out really nice. I really like the flow of your forms.

Thank you very much =D!

Postby Valkhira » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Valkhira

Moon priest.

5 hours.
I finally finished a piece! I know it isn't much, but I've left unfinished everything I've tried to do until know, so I can't help but feel just a little bit proud of myself =').
The hair gave me a ton of trouble, I've looked for tutorials on how to render it countless times, but I never find anything good that applies well to my way of rendering the face. I'll keep searching though, I'd love to do with digital what I do with my inks!
And now I should rest... It's dumb, but I've burned myself on this, I feel a bit dizzy @-@.

Postby aprilhare » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:02 pm

aprilhare

Hello!! It's nice to see how much you've improved since your first post. hmm for hair? maybe make it into a bigger clump so it's easier to shade idk
oooh i like your figure drawings and their poses have a lot of energy.
Keep at it!!
If I am worth anything later, I am worth something now. For wheat is wheat, even if people think it is a grass in the beginning.
sketchbook: http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66455
http://april-hare.tumblr.com
http://www.instagram.com/april.hare

Postby Grass » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:29 pm

Grass

Really love your studies and the last piece is quite awesome. Will you going to color it? Looking forward to see a colored version of that. Keep it up! :D

Postby Koźlik » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:41 pm

Koźlik

Those figures look really nice!
And I love the last finished piece. Good job! :D
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby geryes » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:27 pm

geryes

That moon priest looks awesome. Great job! :)
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby Valkhira » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:56 am

Valkhira

aprilhare wrote:Hello!! It's nice to see how much you've improved since your first post. hmm for hair? maybe make it into a bigger clump so it's easier to shade idk
oooh i like your figure drawings and their poses have a lot of energy.
Keep at it!!

Thank you very much! It's really nice to hear that I've improved, sometimes it's not that easy to see for yourself ^^ And yeah, I shouldn't be doing the hair as separated strands, but I'm having trouble trying to shade clups a bit more realistically. It might be just a matter of practicing though, so that's what I'll do. Thanks for the feedback =).

Grass wrote:Really love your studies and the last piece is quite awesome. Will you going to color it? Looking forward to see a colored version of that. Keep it up! :D

I wasn't going to color it, actually, as I thought of it as a black and white piece and I don't feel that confident with color yet. But it's good to try things, especially when you are not good at them, so I've colored it for you =D Hope you like it! It's a bit simple, but I'll surely do better in the future.

Koźlik wrote:Those figures look really nice!
And I love the last finished piece. Good job! :D

Thanks! I was having fun with the figures =D. And I'm glad you like that piece ^^

geryes wrote:That moon priest looks awesome. Great job! :)

Thank you, happy to hear that ^^

Postby Valkhira » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:56 am

Valkhira

Colored Moon Priest:

A little edgy sketch, because I was tired of making cute things that didn't feel much like me:

Postby KeaneFox » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:09 pm

KeaneFox

I find this very beautiful, I love dark horror themed art.

Postby Grass » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:28 pm

Grass

Valkhira wrote:Colored Moon Priest:

A little edgy sketch, because I was tired of making cute things that didn't feel much like me:

Wow! Thanks for the colored version. It's really nice with simple colors. Loved it because it adds mood in the piece. Also that last piece you made is really good! It's like a piece that was made with screaming pain or crippling depression. I dunno, I just felt it that way. And yes I like those kind of stuff. :D

Postby Kam » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Kam

Wow that last one... how even, teach meeee
seriously the values are amazing, the mood, the edges, everything is superb, the moon priest looks interesting too, though the perfect symmetry does look strange to me, that might be just me though.

Postby XFlameR » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:00 am

XFlameR

Yeah I agree with Kam, that last one has a superb mood. D:
I'm amazed by it. I love how it has a certain clarity even between the slightest value changes.

Postby Valkhira » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:27 pm

Valkhira

KeaneFox wrote:I find this very beautiful, I love dark horror themed art.

Thank you very much ^^

Grass wrote:Wow! Thanks for the colored version. It's really nice with simple colors. Loved it because it adds mood in the piece. Also that last piece you made is really good! It's like a piece that was made with screaming pain or crippling depression. I dunno, I just felt it that way. And yes I like those kind of stuff. :D

The Moon Priest does look better in color, I'm happy that I added it, and glad you like it =).
And thank you, it's nice to see people like that side of my art, especially because it's the one that's truer to myself ^^.

Kam wrote:Wow that last one... how even, teach meeee
seriously the values are amazing, the mood, the edges, everything is superb, the moon priest looks interesting too, though the perfect symmetry does look strange to me, that might be just me though.

You have no idea how happy it makes me reading those things (and it still does!) ='). Thank you!
About the other piece: I don't think it's just you, perfect symmetry does look weird to me too now that I look back at that piece, and it is understandable: if I remember correctly, human faces aren't exactly the same on each side. So she probably looks too 'perfect' x').

XFlameR wrote:Yeah I agree with Kam, that last one has a superb mood. D:
I'm amazed by it. I love how it has a certain clarity even between the slightest value changes.

Thank you so much for those kind words! ^^ It was really fun to work with the values of that piece =).

Postby Valkhira » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:27 pm

Valkhira

After almost a year of studying anatomy, I've decided to start studying something new: clothing! =D. I've taken into account the recommendations from the post I made asking for help on the subject, and they have helped me tremendously! So, again, big thanks to the people that helped me there! =D.

First tries from imagination:

A study of reference:

Warm-ups from reference, using random pics from tumblr:

Studies of the 7 types of folds:

- Pipe and zigzag.

- Spiral.

- Half-lock.

- Diaper.

- More diaper, drop and inert (and krakens).

- Inert.

And lastly, some studies of clothes on men, because I have a lot of trouble drawing anything that isn't a woman. Also, that last one's head is huge and I was too sleepy to change it. Damn it, now it's going to haunt me forever:

Postby Ragamuffin » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:34 am

Ragamuffin

Nice! Is It Michael Hampton you're studying? or maybe Bridgman? I think i remember the seven types of folds from one of these books... hm, it's been a while since i practiced drapery.

On a separate note, there's something really cool about the hair on those first two figures :D

Postby KeaneFox » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:25 am

KeaneFox

Strong studies and very good work. Keep up.

Postby Xiphor » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:02 am

Xiphor

Damn those cloth studies look so good!

Postby Artenthusiast » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Artenthusiast

Woaw some really nice things in your latest post!!
Aspiring concept artist/illustrator/graphic novelist

"With great power comes great bullshit."

My sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p196780

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook