Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Valkhira » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:48 pm

Valkhira

Subject title: Alice's path to Wonderland.

Hello, my name is Alice and I was going to call this "Alice's rabbit hole" but, for obvious reasons, I won't. A pity.
I am 20 years old, and have never taken any art classes in my life. To be honest, I didn't even take it too seriously until recently, when I madly fell in love with it (oh, paper, you know how to make me happy). Which means that, until around the 17th of November: no more than a couple of faces on a paper while in class, no tutorials, no classes, almost nothing. Yes, I'm quite fu-... at the beginning of it all.

Full backstory mode time! It happened in the week of 17-24th of November 2015: I had just finished FFVIII, and I was soooo enamored with the design of the witches! It was then that I decided to draw Ultimecia, inspired by this official artwork (http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091206123725/finalfantasy/images/4/4a/Dissidia_Ultimecia.png).

(Note: Sorry for the terrible photographs, I don't have anything but paper and my mobile's camera at the moment).

That's the result, after a couple of nights trying to make it work... somehow.
And why am I writing all of that bullshit? Basically because it makes me happy seeing my first kind-of-full drawing, nothing else. Every story has to have a beginning, right?

This are the rest of drawings or sketches I did that week:

Nova from Starcraft, whose face I destroyed with a lot of love, and a lot of hours.

Random girl. I asked for 3 or 4 colors to paint her with. Couldn't make it work any better with dark blue, light green, red and black (damn you bf!).

Vicar Amelia from Bloodborne (best boss, best boss).

And that was the start.

The 6th of this month is when I decided to make it official and started my real sketchbook, which at the moment is focused on human anatomy. I'll be posting as much as I can of it when I'm able of taking pictures.

Critics and tips are madly appreciated! After all, I'm the newbiest of them all, I have everything to learn :D .
My tradition is the art of superstition.
Follow the white rabbit: Alice's Sketchbook

Postby Vixie » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:24 pm

Vixie

Welcome to the forums, nice introduction :) You´re pretty good for complete newbie, so I´m sure you will do great with all the studies =)
Hello. How are you? Have a nice Day. I'm socially awkward, sorry.
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Postby caiowcxs » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:28 pm

caiowcxs

Welcome to the forum!! I really like your drawings (i thought the second one was kerrigan :p). I really want to see some studies. Keep going!
Check out my sketchbook!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17415

Postby Valkhira » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:41 am

Valkhira

Vixie wrote:Welcome to the forums, nice introduction :) You´re pretty good for complete newbie, so I´m sure you will do great with all the studies =)

Why, thank you! I sure hope I do ^^ (I'll make my hands bleed if necessary... AND THEN USE THEM AS REFERENCE :twisted: )

caiowcxs wrote:Welcome to the forum!! I really like your drawings (i thought the second one was kerrigan :p). I really want to see some studies. Keep going!

Thanks, I will! And yeah, she could totally be Kerrigan as a human too, I couldn't capture Nova's essence on her face :lol: . Hopefully I can change that soon.

Postby Valkhira » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:00 am

Valkhira

Shadows of Wonderland (or "How the fuck do I draw people").

Also known as the human anatomy part of my sketchbook as well as the first one. I'll just say that it is chaotic until a couple of pages into it, because I totally had 0 idea of what I was doing.

6/12/2015 - Very basic proportions, a bit of drawing from reference, a quick look into the bone structure of the human body and shading try.

Spoiler: show
ImageImage

Image Image

Image Image

8/12/2015 - A few pathetic tries with a complete "fuck it this is too hard", followed by a day of "chill out and draw some random things that make you happy. You know, naked elf girls and crying elf girls, the usual stuff". Also, those faces in the last page... must... resist... need to... cut it out...

Image Image

10/12/2015 - Tried out a bit of practice from Sycra's tutorial on twisting forms, practiced the torso, mutilated elf... one of this is not like the others.

Image Image

11/12/2015 - Saw Sycra's tutorials on connecting the arms to the torso as well as the one on the forearm, and drew a bit from the videos (if it isn't too clear: Pink goes to thumb, Blue to the palm and Green to the top of the hand). A few shadows from imagination, arms and poses from reference (with muscles of the upper torso and arms drawn).

Image Image

Image Image

12/12/2015 - More shadows and poses, with a bit of random "fuck it it's late and I'm tired" at the end. Oh, and ignore that elf that I am pointing out just now, you know... yes, that one.

Image Image

13/12/2015 - Random poses from imagination on the first page (it's the last page from the last day), followed by a few pages of poses from reference (with the time they took me, about an hour a page and 15-10 minutes for each figure). Also, a bit of a try at foreshortening in the last page.

Image Image

Last edited by Valkhira on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Valkhira » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Valkhira

14/12/2015 - Even more poses from reference (oh hey, an angel... elf... thing), study on the legs, and... my masterpiece! I call this "chicken wings": legs without feet because, like with hands, I didn' get to that part yet! Yay!

Image Image

15/12/2015 - More chicken wings, full poses from reference (except for: still no hands, feet or head fully drawn), oh hey, feet. I almost forgot: last pose and a happy elf with really weird hair, it's in the next day's pages.

Image Image

16/12/2015 - Studied feet and drew some from reference.

Image Image

17/12/2015 - Studied the hand and... you've guessed it, I drew some from reference. Then I said "fuck it" for a bit because hands were driving me crazy.

Image Image

Image Image
Last edited by Valkhira on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby lilla » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:14 pm

lilla

Hi and welcome! Really cool stuff for a total beginner :O Also love your sketchbook name, I think it's perfect : ) Looking forward to seeing more!

Postby Vixie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:40 pm

Vixie

I see you´re working really hard, jeep going! :)
Hello. How are you? Have a nice Day. I'm socially awkward, sorry.
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Postby Valkhira » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:01 pm

Valkhira

lilla wrote:Hi and welcome! Really cool stuff for a total beginner :O Also love your sketchbook name, I think it's perfect : ) Looking forward to seeing more!

Thank you! I'm glad you like the name ^^.

Vixie wrote:I see you´re working really hard, jeep going! :)

Will do, thanks! =).

Postby Valkhira » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:35 pm

Valkhira

20/12/2015 - Only three poses this time, but I am ill and have to work slowly. Anyway, I believe I found out that drawing a lot of poses as fast as I could wasn't the best for me at this stage, and taking my time seems to work better (at least with studying the anatomy in the reference photo). I also tried to actually draw the figures in a way I liked, instead of just copying the reference bit by bit, and only used it to check if something seemed wrong. Overall, I feel that even if I just drew 3 poses today, I learnt some really useful things and polished others that were driving me nuts.

I also suffered from a bit of art block the 18 and 19: Tried to practice, but didn't know exactly what to do, and I can asure you I didn't want to draw more hands (I was feeling pretty shitty, to be honest. Damn you body, stop getting sick, I need to draw!). I ended up just saying "fuck it" and drawed a bit of a random thing. It isn't finished at all, I'm just playing with different things here and there, seeing what may work or not, but it may be a fun side proyect (is that how it is called? Damn it, I need to learn the lingo ;_; Too many things to learn @_@ ).

(That's a giant Gorgon with an eye instead of a face, yes. It is supposed to be a Dark Souls boss, in honor of how many times I got killed on the first game this past couple of days)

Postby Valkhira » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:32 pm

Valkhira

21/12/2015 (And weekend of 18-20) - This was an old drawing I started a few months ago, and didn't finish because I thought "eh, not good enough, don't waste your time on this things". But it was a present for my bf, and he insisted that he would like it no matter how bad it could be compared to what I'd do in the future, so I thought it'd be nice to use it as a warm up and fun drawing, and complete it not only for him, but as a symbol of the path I've finally taken (look at it, look at the poetic bullshit).

For that reason I didn't focus that much on learning anatomy or anything this time, to be honest, I just wanted to warm up, complete a few parts and add a couple of things (Skulls, feathers, details on the armor and a bit more work on the hair). Still not finished, though. Also: I drew it from imagination, but used some pics for reference on the armor/hood.

Postby lilla » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:47 pm

lilla

Good job on the design of her armour! for an old drawing it sure is not embarrassing : D

Postby jachuu » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:18 am

jachuu

your linework is really amazing ^-^

Postby Valkhira » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Valkhira

lilla wrote:Good job on the design of her armour! for an old drawing it sure is not embarrassing : D

I had to correct a lot of things from the old drawing, but it is true that it wasn't that bad to begin with. Thank you for your kind words! ^^

jachuu wrote:your linework is really amazing ^-^

Thanks a lot! I did work a lot on that before getting into anatomy, it's nice to see it being noticed =).

Postby Valkhira » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:31 pm

Valkhira

22/12/2015 - Today I can't focus at all, no idea why. I still drew a few poses (found out I need to study the back and side views a lot), but they're messy. Really, reeeaally messy. Still learnt a couple of things from it, though. Mission accomplished.

I might try to draw a bit more now, just in case things calm down inside of me. I'd post those tomorrow, if they want to make themselves real.

But, until that... oh Hell yes, welcome to "Alice gets into hysteria mode with her pencil and says fuck it, before just tearing the paper apart and drawing whatever goes through her mind". It's messy, it has lines everywhere, it's not even correct, and I couldn't care less. I like the concepts, they were fun, and I might do clean versions when I feel better (or when I get into animal anatomy, so I can be more correct).

(This is my personal representation of a fed Vel'Koz, by the way)

Postby KeaneFox » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:42 am

KeaneFox

Very Nice! are you going to try digital art?

Postby lilla » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:50 am

lilla

Very cool! your figures are getting along fine :) one little tip for the one on the first page right bottom corner - pay attention to the balance of the character, feet should be underneath the head or it feels like she's tilting/going to fall :D

Postby Valkhira » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:42 pm

Valkhira

KeaneFox wrote:Very Nice! are you going to try digital art?

Thank you ^^. And yeah, in fact my objective is digital art more than traditional. Sadly I don't have a tablet at the moment, but if I am lucky enough I might be getting a Wacom Intuos Draw at the end of this month. I hope that's a good tablet to start with, it's the only one I've seen.

lilla wrote:Very cool! your figures are getting along fine :) one little tip for the one on the first page right bottom corner - pay attention to the balance of the character, feet should be underneath the head or it feels like she's tilting/going to fall :D

Hey, thanks! And God, you're right, I went blind with that one. It is indeed pretty off-balance. I will put it in my list to do a quick study about balance someday, just to have it clear. Oh, and I appreciate the tip, thank you!

Postby Valkhira » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Valkhira

23/12/2015 - Finally got back on track (or at least I hope so!), and drew some more clean figures to study the back and side views. I think after that I'll try some sitting and lying down poses, and finish the body anatomy part to follow it with some studies of the head/face.

Oh, and in between figures, when I needed to take a rest from studying, I drew some totally incorrect imaginary poses. When I study anatomy my poses end up looking lifeless to me, and boring, so I really wanted to just stop thinking and make the hands dance. As I said, they're not correct, but that wasn't what I was going for: I just wanted to give them life and meaning. And use a lot of purples and blues, but ssssh, Alice didn't say that.

Postby Andrix9743 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:57 pm

Andrix9743

You've got awesome drawings here. Good batch of first drawings got nice line quality. :) And most recent ones are great for study references. :D

P.S. You've got to draw someday Cheshire cat, just for fun of it. Wonderland without that cat wouldn't be full. :D
My sketchbook full o' random studies - Andrew's Sketchbook

Postby Artenthusiast » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:59 pm

Artenthusiast

Wauw impressive studies you got there 0_0... keep it coming and see the insane improvement between now and a year :-)

Those hands are amazing o.0.. most features look really good and so many studies done... damn xD gotta keep up with how much you draw ^^ I really like your work :-)

I really like the portrait faces and the detail of the flowers on the girls head are awesome!

As a tip try to keep the depth in your portraits!
Aspiring concept artist/illustrator/graphic novelist

"With great power comes great bullshit."

My sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p196780

Postby innyara » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:41 pm

innyara

Love the girl with flowers on her head from your firs post *-*
And really nice studies, can't wait to see how much you can improve :O
19-F-Spain
Love kitties and drawing >o<
Sketchbook http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17153

Postby Valkhira » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:49 pm

Valkhira

Oh my God, no, post, don't die on me, I only left for a daaaay!

Jokes aside:

Andrix9743 wrote:You've got awesome drawings here. Good batch of first drawings got nice line quality. :) And most recent ones are great for study references. :D

P.S. You've got to draw someday Cheshire cat, just for fun of it. Wonderland without that cat wouldn't be full. :D

Thanks a lot! And you're totally right, in fact I was going to fill my pages with Cheshire cats and white rabbits when I get to the animal anatomy practice (of course!) =).

By the way, that comment made me wanna draw some old-movies-chubby-Cheshires. So, super-fast and not-correct-at-all warm up time!

Chubby... cat... chubby adorable cat...

Artenthusiast wrote:Wauw impressive studies you got there 0_0... keep it coming and see the insane improvement between now and a year :-)

Those hands are amazing o.0.. most features look really good and so many studies done... damn xD gotta keep up with how much you draw ^^ I really like your work :-)

I really like the portrait faces and the detail of the flowers on the girls head are awesome!

As a tip try to keep the depth in your portraits!

Thank you very much ^^! I'm glad you like my work, and I appreciate the kind words.
And, yeah, depth is something I totally lack (or at least that's the impression I have). I may really need to do some studies on that daily while continuing with my other studies, because now that I got to the head, I can really see just how plain my drawings are. Yuks, need to work on that a lot. I need to find exactly how first, though.

innyara wrote:Love the girl with flowers on her head from your firs post *-*
And really nice studies, can't wait to see how much you can improve :O

I'll be completely honest and say that I love that one too, it ended up so pretty *-* Looking at that one is a guilty pleasure of mine, haha.
Oh and thank you! ^^

Postby Valkhira » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:55 pm

Valkhira

25/12/2015 - Some sitting, kneeling and random clean poses followed by a few more sketchy lying down ones (because I got too tired to make clean lines after so much work). With this I believe I've finished my basic studies on the body, though I'll keep practicing hands from time to time. After the last poses, there's my start with the head and faces. I drew a few cubes too, because I was having a bit of trouble with some angles of the face. Any tips on head angles/form practice?

Image Image Image

Postby Andrix9743 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Andrix9743

Awesome, there's cheshire cat :D And your figure studies are also great. Too bad I don't have dedication and passion to drawing, usually if anything I 'draw' comes out bad - I stop. :|
My sketchbook full o' random studies - Andrew's Sketchbook

Next

Return to Sketchbook