Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby VALLAHA » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:44 pm

VALLAHA

Subject title: laurenhiya21's attempt at remembering to post

Dude, nice progress over the span of two years.

Postby laurenhiya21 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:15 am

laurenhiya21

bonermonkeymilk wrote:I like your style.

VALLAHA wrote:Dude, nice progress over the span of two years.

Thank you! :D

Out most of the day today so I haven't done much, but I did some quick comp studies. A little annoying to do since I still can't figure to what sort of brush to use, but at least these are better than the last time I did comp studies :/
8-2-17-compStudies.png

Postby laurenhiya21 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:51 am

laurenhiya21

Didn't think I'd be doing anything else today but I was bored and so I did a quick thing. Not sure if I want to try to finish it or not since the colours are all poop and it's not very interesting anyway haha.

8-2-17-laurahmWIP.png

Postby laurenhiya21 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:20 am

laurenhiya21

Did a few comp studies and a colour study today (plus some traditional stuff but I'll scan that tomorrow ha). I don't really like how they turned out, but that's how it goes. I'm still getting used to these sorts of studies I guess haha.

8-7-17-compColourStudies.png

Postby everfae » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:17 pm

everfae

Oooh your work is so vibrant and fun! I love your torso sketches.
you can call me flower if you want to
instagram
my sketchbook

Postby laurenhiya21 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 pm

laurenhiya21

everfae wrote:Oooh your work is so vibrant and fun! I love your torso sketches.

Thank you! :)

More torsos! I switched to pencil for these, but I might switch back to copics or ink as I don't really like using pencils that much. I don't mind pencil for construction stuff but shading, but I don't like using it for these for some reason :/ Also a copic thing with an OC because new sketchbook woo (blonde is hard to do since I don't have the right colours bleh)

8-1-17-rnd.png

8-2-17-torsos.png

8-7-17-torsos.png

8-7-17-torsos2.png

8-7-17-torsos3.png

8-7-17-torsos4.png

8-7-17-LCopics.png

Postby laurenhiya21 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:58 am

laurenhiya21

Not too much today, but I did do a few colour studies... These are rather difficult ha. I get a bit frustrated with these which is why there are only two :l

8-8-17-colourStudies.png

Postby laurenhiya21 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 pm

laurenhiya21

Woo! 100 torsos finished! :) Not sure if these studies have helped or not but... hopefully it has even if they still need a lot of work haha.

8-10-17-torsos.png

8-10-17-torsos2.png

8-10-17-torsos3.png

8-10-17-torsos4.png

Postby laurenhiya21 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:30 am

laurenhiya21

Stuff from the past week-ish. Mostly did some (bad) arm & leg studies and some (really bad) colour studies. I still need to figure out how to draw landscapes and how to use copics haha.

8-10-17-rndCopics.png

8-11-17-rnd.png

8-14-17-armsLegs.png

8-14-17-armsLegs2.png

8-14-17-armsLegs3.png

8-14-17-armsLegs4.png

8-15-17-copicLandscape.png

8-16-17-colourStudies.png

Postby Weaver » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:59 am

Weaver

I like your method on breaking down painting studies. Good job!

Postby Idan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:47 pm

Idan

Yay, a lot of studies! Keep at the painting ones especially. At least I find them very helpful when I actually force myself to do them. I also think that it's helpful to check your colours after you finish, colourpicking he original painting. You can find out what are your usual mistakes this way - for example, I have a tendency to use warm colours instead of cool ones, even when I paint blues and greens I make them warmer than they are. It's good to know where you're off, usually.
sketchbook
I believe in reciprocity in regards to constructive criticism in sketchbooks.
(In other words, tell me what you think about mine and I will most likely visit yours and do the same)

Postby laurenhiya21 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:37 pm

laurenhiya21

Weaver wrote:I like your method on breaking down painting studies. Good job!

Ah I didn't come up with that haha. With those I've been going through Art Camp, and that's how they break up master studies. Thanks though!

Idan wrote:Yay, a lot of studies! Keep at the painting ones especially. At least I find them very helpful when I actually force myself to do them. I also think that it's helpful to check your colours after you finish, colourpicking he original painting. You can find out what are your usual mistakes this way - for example, I have a tendency to use warm colours instead of cool ones, even when I paint blues and greens I make them warmer than they are. It's good to know where you're off, usually.

Yeah I'll definitely keep at them :) Even if they are difficult and a bit frustrating, I think I've been getting better at them ha. And I'll try using the colour picker next time! I have heard of doing that but I've been forgetting to try it myself :|

Woo more stuff! Unfortunately I think a lot of these turned out pretty awful :| I think the legs and arms are a bit better than the last ones though, so yay?

8-16-17-DGLbad.png

8-18-17-badStillLife.png

8-18-17-rnd.png

8-21-17-rndCopics.png

8-22-17-shoebill.png
Tried to use pencil guidelines with copics. It's not perfect (and I got lazy with matching the background colour) but I think it looks okish?

Ref:
Spoiler: show

8-26-17-badC.png
I tried to make the body work, gave up and then tried to at least make the face work. No luck there :/

8-27-17-armsLegs.png

8-27-17-armsLegs2.png

8-27-17-armsLegs3.png

8-27-17-armsLegs4.png

Postby laurenhiya21 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:59 pm

laurenhiya21

Just something sort of quick I did last night with my OC. At first I tried to do it all painterly style, but that wasn't going well so I switched to using lines and recoloured the whole thing. Lined version is so much better looking, even if it's not great. It is certainly better than something similar I did in 2016 though haha

8-28-17-LHmdeDum-bleh.png

8-28-17-LHmdeDum-better.png

2016 comparison:

Postby RAC00NIE » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:38 pm

RAC00NIE

Your sketches look pretty nice. Are you learning any fundamentals now? If not, I would advise you to start. Learning fundamentals helps so much! :)

Postby laurenhiya21 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:49 pm

laurenhiya21

RAC00NIE wrote:Your sketches look pretty nice. Are you learning any fundamentals now? If not, I would advise you to start. Learning fundamentals helps so much! :)

If studying anatomy doesn't count as fundamentals, then no, I'm not ha. I've tried DrawABox, but I found it to be super dull and I wasn't feeling good about it at all so I stopped. I probably should be doing more fundamental things, but right now studying anatomy is a little bit easier for me to get myself to actually do, so I've been sticking with that and ArtCamp. If I found a good way to study them without getting bored to death, then maybe I'll more fundamental things ha.

And thinking about that, I might go back to copying Brague stuff, but I'm not sure if I should or not :/ (not sure that counts as fundamentals though haha)

Postby laurenhiya21 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:09 am

laurenhiya21

Ugh I haven't posted in a while. School was killer this quarter :( I didn't draw much at all... That's how it goes sometimes I guess :/

Anyway, I'm not going to post most of the things that I did draw (they're mostly just rough scribbles), but I did do some colour studies right before classes started. Not sure how they turned out though ha.

9-18-17-colourStudies.png

Also today I started on a master study. I didn't work much on it so I have a ways to go if I want it to be finished. Not sure how finished I want it to be, but we'll see how long my patience lasts I guess. Colours are way off so far, but I think it's going ok for my first full master study.

12-18-17-kelpieMasterStudyWIP.png

Ref:
The kelpie.jpg

Postby ehlihr » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:01 pm

ehlihr

woooooaaaa master studies are so intimidating but that looks like a really good place to start!!! good luck, your work is really beautiful!!!
18 year old mostly self taught loser. sheridan illustration 2023

Sketchbook
Website
Instagram

Postby laurenhiya21 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:40 am

laurenhiya21

ehlihr wrote:woooooaaaa master studies are so intimidating but that looks like a really good place to start!!! good luck, your work is really beautiful!!!

Thanks! I agree that master studies are definitely intimidating. I'm struggling a bit with it since it's my first one and I'm having a hard time with my brushes :/

Just some quick digital things. I'm still figuring out Clip Studio Paint's brushes...

12-18-17-rnd.png

12-20-17-rnd.png

Postby DRaff210 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:08 am

DRaff210

Great output of work! It's this sort of dedication that dramatically boosts your improvement. :)

One thing I suggest: try using a soft brush to block in the colors for your studies at first, and then go in on top of that and block in colors more solidly so that your edges are stronger. To me, it looks like you're using a hard round brush with opacity based on pressure sensitivity, which gives your paintings this sort of smudgy quality, like it's been smeared with vaseline. It's something I've struggled with (and still struggle with) for a long time, and I noticed a huge improvement when I started paying attention to edge quality.

Just a suggestion, though. Keep up the great work, and I look forward to seeing a lot more! :P

Postby laurenhiya21 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:38 am

laurenhiya21

It's been a little while! School has ben rough again ha... I haven't drawn as much as I would have liked, but I did draw! Here's some of the better stuff. I took a photo for these to save myself some time (even know I'll eventually scan these for my purposes anyway ha), so sorry if some things are a bit blurry or not flat.

art-summary-2017-small.png
I like doing a yearly summary of my art (when I can remember to do one ha). I tried to pick my best 9 drawings from 2017.

2-13-rnd.jpg

2-17-barguePlateI5.jpg
Bargue copies. I'm still only on the first part haha (Plates I, 5 & I, 6)

2-18-Lsword.jpg
Swords are hard (my OC)

2-18-1hrPose.jpg
1hr drawing from ref

2-20-rnd.jpg

2-20-lfaces.jpg
Expressions are also hard (my OC again)

2-22-rnd.jpg

2-23-sapphy.jpg
Really drawing in general is hard ha (another OC)

2-24-barguePlateI7.jpg
Bargue copy. Plate I, 7

2-24-barguePlateI8.jpg
Bargue copy. Plate I, 8. The large dark sections are difficult to do with mechanical pencil.

2-26-legs80.jpg
A while ago I started attempting to draw 100 arms and legs. This is a continuation of that. These are with refs.

2-26-legsRef.jpg
More arms and legs with refs.

2-26-legsLAst.jpg
Last of the 100 arms and legs! No refs.

2-26-windyConcept.jpg
For a prompt to pick a random song and draw something for it.

2-26-windy.jpg
This didn't turn out so well whoops.

2-27-rnd.jpg

Postby laurenhiya21 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:22 am

laurenhiya21

It's been a while since I first started doing this master study, but I haven't had much time to put more work into it until recently. It's pretty difficult and exhausting though so I still have a long way to go on it. I'm not used to doing more painterly things and I want to get better at it, so hopefully I can stick with this until it's somewhat alright.

3-1-18-kelpieMasterStudyWIP.png

Ref:
The kelpie.jpg

Postby fi_le » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:47 pm

fi_le

Hey, welcome back!

Since I'm pretty new, this is my first time looking through and I really like everything :) You have just the right mix of original and studies in here, so that's cool, too.
Ragarding the study, I'd say that another punch of dark values wouldn't hurt. I did a Rembrandt study recently and I was super surprised how black (and satured) it actually gets, maybe you'll feel the same.

In any case, I wish you the best with your art! Have a great day.
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby ChocoCookie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:17 pm

ChocoCookie

It's cool to see someone do master studies! I want to start doing some as well but I'm a little scared xD
Plus I don't enjoy reproducing other people's art, so I haven't started one yet.

Yours looks good so far though. Just a bit smudgy (that's something I personally don't like). I'm sure it'll be fine in the end though!

Postby laurenhiya21 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:39 pm

laurenhiya21

fi_le wrote:Hey, welcome back!

Since I'm pretty new, this is my first time looking through and I really like everything :) You have just the right mix of original and studies in here, so that's cool, too.
Ragarding the study, I'd say that another punch of dark values wouldn't hurt. I did a Rembrandt study recently and I was super surprised how black (and satured) it actually gets, maybe you'll feel the same.

In any case, I wish you the best with your art! Have a great day.

Thanks!
And yeah, I noticed the value thing too haha. They definitely need a lot more work. Painting and colours are not really my strong points :?

ChocoCookie wrote:It's cool to see someone do master studies! I want to start doing some as well but I'm a little scared xD
Plus I don't enjoy reproducing other people's art, so I haven't started one yet.

Yours looks good so far though. Just a bit smudgy (that's something I personally don't like). I'm sure it'll be fine in the end though!

Thanks! It's definitely difficult so far, but I hope it will be helpful haha.
Hopefully I can fix the smudgy later. I just wanted to get some colours down to start (also I'm still figuring out what brush is the least painful to use for this...)

Anyway I did do some more work on the master study! Not much but it's something?
3-6-18-kelpieMasterStudyWIP.png

Also started working on something else as a birthday present for my mom :) It's based on a photo she took while we were in Europe. It's got a long way to go (especially since all my grays and light greens ran out of ink!), but hopefully I finish it in time.
3-15-18-SalzburgWIP.jpg

Postby laurenhiya21 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:47 am

laurenhiya21

Just some copics doodles... The Bulbasaur thing (a Bobasaur!) is something I did based on another artist's idea (Shattered Earth), and I thought I would one draw myself.

Bulbasaur is hard to draw and also I forgot what paper I was using so the markers bled all over the place. Oh well :/

3-18-18-copics.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook