Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Markus Creation » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:08 pm

Markus Creation

Subject title: Sketchbook of Markus Creation

jachuu wrote:don't sell yourself short [...] i like your art

Thank you jachuu, thats very nice to hear!

I guess you referred to my last video in which i sounded a bit harsh to myself? I redid the video-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i87N3YUcfkE

And then i did two more videos about my latest head-drawing-studies -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP_2eumxxFA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuplIUG99Po

And for those who dont like to watch the videos, here you have the gist of it (but without explanation :P ) :

loomispic.jpg

skullpic1.jpg

skullpic2.jpg

Postby Markus Creation » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Markus Creation

Head practices:

angles_face_small.jpg

angles_skull_small.jpg

facespractice_small.jpg

Not paying attention to his stuff was the reason why my first 100 faces sucked.
So, remember: dont forget the skull underneath the face!

and new vid about that stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF-qePSoOao

Postby DancewithSHINee » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:31 pm

DancewithSHINee

You have some pretty steady improvement, keep it up
My only suggestion is to maybe not focus on so many things at once? It may be stunting your improvement to some degree.
"I'm Number 2, looking for a girlfriend who can make bombs and good food."
14 y/o
Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17060
Tumblr: http://dancewithshinee.tumblr.com/

Postby Vixie » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:33 pm

Vixie

I paritially agree with SHINee (is that how I should adress you? :roll: ). You want to work on one step at the time, so at one stage you focus on skull, then simplified construction of head, then add more details/planes to that construction and finally add facial features. I deffinitely don´t want to sound mean, but right now it looks like you are guessing a lot of stuff going on on head, especially placement of facial features. Maybe I´m wrong, but from what I see it looks like you construct the base, but then you only guess where to put eyes, nose and mouth, because there are no guidelines showing construction of those. Hope you are not offended by what I said and I wish you best luck with your studies =)
Hello. How are you? Have a nice Day. I'm socially awkward, sorry.
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Postby Zab » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:39 pm

Zab

Sorry if you wrote/said it before and I'm not just paying attention :) But would you care to explain the whole ''draw a 100' of stuff'' concept? What's it meant to achieve? How is it meant to achieve that? How are those 100 things meant to be drawn - quickly, sketchy or with a ref to study closely for every one, or close study to start with and then more from memory?

I'm curious :)
I agree with Vixie btw. I see some nice improvement but I feel there might be a bit of guesswork going on, maybe because I don't understand the 100-practices very well.. if you do those from memory without having everything ''right'' there, won't it engrave the wrong forms to muscle memory? Or is there some other idea behind it?

Postby DancewithSHINee » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:40 pm

DancewithSHINee

Zab wrote:would you care to explain the whole ''draw a 100' of stuff'' concept?

I haven't done one of the 100 challenges, but I believe you use a reference for the majority, if not all of the drawings, to improve your skills in that particular area-like faces or hands.
Vixie wrote:I paritially agree with SHINee (is that how I should adress you? :roll:

Yes, shinee is fine, some also call me dance. I'm fine with either :)
Last edited by DancewithSHINee on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 y/o

Postby Markus Creation » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:42 pm

Markus Creation

@ Zab:
The draw 100 concept is something that I picked up somewhere in this forum from a phrase like `in case of doubt, draw 100`.
For me, i use it (in this case it were faces without using reference,because that was the subject i want to get better) and it is beneficial for the following reasons:

first, you get to draw. You have a lot to draw, so you dont just draw for example two faces and then stop and think you were done. so first of all it gets you drawing.

second, when you draw 100 drawings of something, each single drawing will not be very precious to you, so that you do not fear to make something wrong or stupid. this leads to you being able to try out stuff and figure out what works or doesnt work. If you try something and screw the drawing up, doesnt matter, you will do 99 more of them.

and third, and this is the most important point that I figured out while doing this for example with the faces:
If you draw 100 of something and you are not really able to do it well, the drawing-100 will NOT teach you how to do it well, BUT it will teach you what always goes wrong and you will learn what it is that looks off all the time and then you get a clue what exactly to study about your subject. for example you may not know what you do wrong on faces all the time, but maybe you recognize after several faces, that you draw the forehead in a way that looks weird all the time. then you can go and study foreheads to figure out what was wrong.

of course the number 100 is random and could easily be reduced to 50 or something else, but the more you do, at least for me, the easier you get it a flow state, where you dont overthink everything and just draw and try stuff.

and yes, if you dont look at what you have done and dont think about what is wrong with those drawings, then you possibly would engrave your mistakes in your brain.
But at least for me, I dont mindlessly let my hand and arm move around and memorize the movements, so there is no danger that `false muscle-memory` draws always small chins, when i want them to be bigger after studying them.

summary:
it makes you draw more. it makes you try stuff. it makes you find out what you should study about the thing you drew. the number 100 is random and could be less. If you do it without afterwards analyzing what you did, you could engrave false things into your brain. You can do this with reference or without reference, you have to know what you want to get better at so you can adjust.

(disclaimer: maybe there is some person with a special "draw 100 method" that says otherwise in some points, but this is how I used it till now.)

Postby DancewithSHINee » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:45 pm

DancewithSHINee

I think a lot of people stem the 100-somethings from Bridgman's book? but don't shoot me if I'm wrong ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Hundred-Hands-Dov ... 048622709X
14 y/o

Postby Zab » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:00 pm

Zab

Thanks for the explanation, both of you :) I understand it better now.

Postby Markus Creation » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Markus Creation

Oh, guys, btw. the other night i drew this. Its from my favourite game again. So its FanArt (and of course not from complete imagination, but it turned out nice in my view) .

MarkusCreation_Gothic_FanArt_Nameless_meets_Milten_signed_small.jpg

Postby Zab » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:16 am

Zab

Nice, good way to put your practice into use :) Interestibg perspective as well.

Postby Markus Creation » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:35 pm

Markus Creation

A video on how to draw cats and adding stuff to the visual library just in between:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylj0aEXBBqg

Postby Zab » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Zab

That is a good method :)
To make it more extensive one could study the sceleton from different angles, take a look at major muscles and study photos even more But the method would be the same :)

Postby Markus Creation » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:14 pm

Markus Creation

Zab wrote:To make it more extensive one could study the sceleton from different angles, take a look at major muscles and study photos even more

You are absolutely right!

Postby jachuu » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:05 pm

jachuu

what game is that art from? i agree that the perspective is quite good and it adds a really interesting element to the drawing :D

Postby Markus Creation » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:29 pm

Markus Creation

jachuu wrote:what game is that art from? i agree that the perspective is quite good and it adds a really interesting element to the drawing :D

Its from the game Gothic (1) . And I did another one of those. Btw its in a Moleskine Sketchbook. I dedicate it to the game. :)

If you watch these I really recommend opening the music in a new tab, so its not so boring.

Here is the Making-Of the first one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9PDEP0M24Y

Here is the Making-Of this second one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGpW3jTesH4

And here is the second picture:

MarkusCreation_Gothic_Fanart_Thorus_signed_small.jpg

Postby Zab » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:06 pm

Zab

Nice time-lapses! Enjoyable to watch :)
I wonder if you have the possibility to set up a webcam (or fixate a cellphone camera or something) and take more frequent pictures while you work (maybe 30 sec intervalls), without moving the camera from the sketchpad. I dunno, I just think it would be neat :)

But it's nice to see the process :)

Postby Markus Creation » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:52 pm

Markus Creation

Zab wrote:I wonder if you have the possibility to set up a webcam (or fixate a cellphone camera or something) and take more frequent pictures while you work (maybe 30 sec intervalls), without moving the camera from the sketchpad.

YES! I need more and better equipment! I could do so much better videos! I already have all that stuff in my mind! :D

Postby Markus Creation » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:46 pm

Markus Creation

So, I bought a used, cheap graphic tablet. Now I can go digital.
What did I do first?

One Piece FanArt (scene from the anime) :

MarkusCreation_FanArt_ZorroSanjiKuma_small.jpg

Postby Zab » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:37 am

Zab

Yay for cheap, used graphics tablet! :D
Looks like it's working :) What program are you using?

I don't think I'm familiar with the anime, but nice to see yur version of it.

Postby Markus Creation » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:06 am

Markus Creation

@Zab: I tried it in Krita, because I saw that in your videos.

Sooo, here is the recorded speedpaint version of the Fanart above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHZL4Znm9Es

It was a test for my recording. And it was good that I did it, because all the coloring was not recorded. :D So next time I did it better.

AND NOW THE BEST : I am a concept artist for a small game now :)
I am allowed to show the stuff I create, so here is my first concept and a speeddrawing of it :

(Its a RPG in a medieval setting. )

MarkusCreation_ConceptArt_Landsknecht_small_NoText.jpg

And here is the
SPEEDDRAWING OF IT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYgh8h1ZxbQ

------

Postby Zab » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Zab

Wow, congrats to the art job! :) That's amazing.

Hehe, yay, I'm making people use my favourite program :P The speedpaint looks good, I did wonder about the sudden color :P Nice to see you work.

Postby Markus Creation » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:08 am

Markus Creation

Zab wrote:Wow, congrats to the art job! :) That's amazing.

Oh, thank you, but now that I read that maybe I have to prevent misunderstanding.
It is not a job. I am making concept art for them, but the whole game is more like a hobby project.
So its not a company or something like that!

But I like the idea of being a concept artist for a game anyways. :)

Postby Zab » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:23 am

Zab

Well it's still a job as far as I'm concerned :) Hobby-level or not, you're making something for someone else like they want it, right?

I've made a few logos for small companies/projects, I concider those as jobs as well ;)

Postby Markus Creation » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Markus Creation

Hey guys! Here's your sexy Christmas Present for this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQxW-6Xe6os

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook