Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Markus Creation » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:46 pm

Markus Creation

Subject title: Sketchbook of Markus Creation

Holy re-used joke on a webtoon! Hallelujah! I found a tutorial for the right settings and now am able to draw smoothly!!

I was right, the problem was the not 1:1 translation of my hand-movement onto the screen.

You may not see the difference without feeling it while drawing, but I assure you the difference is tremendous!

Left one done before and right one after:

knights_small.jpg

Postby Markus Creation » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Markus Creation

knights_colored_small.jpg

Postby Markus Creation » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:44 am

Markus Creation

knight_colored_small.jpg

Postby Markus Creation » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:48 pm

Markus Creation

Helm_small.jpg

Postby Markus Creation » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:17 pm

Markus Creation

ww1_small.jpg

Postby sanguine » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:39 pm

sanguine

I like that painting. The values are nice and solid. Next time, I would push the contrast even more, and try and get some dramatic cast shadows and hue shifts in the colors. Just some suggestions:) Seeing a lot of improvement here, can't wait to see where you go next!

Postby Markus Creation » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:04 pm

Markus Creation

sanguine wrote:I like that painting. The values are nice and solid. Next time, I would push the contrast even more, and try and get some dramatic cast shadows and hue shifts in the colors. Just some suggestions:) Seeing a lot of improvement here, can't wait to see where you go next!

Thank you Sanguine for feedback and suggestions! Will see if I can apply it on some next pictures.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: this design is not by me, its from a game. I just studied this armor. Not sure about this one, because the fur kind of sucks and looks unrealistic on my pic. Besides that kind of okay.

armorstudy_small.jpg

Postby Koźlik » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:57 am

Koźlik

I see that I'm not the only one who likes knights :lol:
I like the helmet painting tho i think that you can study the form of it a bit more because at first it might look simple but when you draw it it gets complicated :)
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby Markus Creation » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:15 pm

Markus Creation

I made the process of the last picture (the armor turnaround) into a video as a speeddrawing.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA692SrjLzg

(btw. i am confused about the meaning of speeddrawing. Isn't it both a speeddrawing- when I draw something in a very short time and also when I draw normal, but record it and speed the video up very much? Or do those processes have other names?)

Postby Moe » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:12 pm

Moe

I may be wrong but I think when you speed up a video it's called a timelapse, when you do a drawing that would normally take an hour in 5 minutes it will be a speed drawing.

Postby Markus Creation » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:50 pm

Markus Creation

Moe wrote:I may be wrong but I think when you speed up a video it's called a timelapse, when you do a drawing that would normally take an hour in 5 minutes it will be a speed drawing.

Makes sense.
--------------------------------------------------

Here's my Lifedrawing session from today. I really like how it turned out.

Lifedrawings_small.jpg
Last edited by Markus Creation on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Shao » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:24 pm

Shao

just curious, why are you making this sings? you think someone will still your artwork? )

Postby Markus Creation » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:42 am

Markus Creation

Shao wrote:just curious, why are you making this sings? you think someone will still your artwork? )

Its for me to know when I did it and in case people find art that I did but dont know who did it. But you're right, i forgot to write the full name, too.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Life Drawing.

Lifedrawings2b_small.jpg

Postby Markus Creation » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:34 am

Markus Creation

I began creating my own world now.
This week I made several drawings of it and I made all of them into a timelapse video. This time I did not make only timelapse with maybe music, but I tried to make it more interesting and talked over it.
Initially I wanted to make it 30minutes, but I had some trouble talking so much. I made it 16 minutes now.

It would be awesome if some of you could find the time to watch it and give me some feedback on the format, on my ideas and on the drawings. Especially the format, because I plan on making a series out of it.

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLYBkvGN6QU

And because I don't want to only post a link, here is the first picture from the video, a set of thumbnails:

landscapesThumbs_small.jpg

Postby Koźlik » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:29 pm

Koźlik

I'ts nice to start a personal process.
I've watched your video and i like the blacksmith's building you've drawn there. With the windmill I'd suggest you to don't be afraid to draw over the form and add a bit of perspective to make them look more realistic :)
Also with the thumbnails if there's going to be that village that you mentioned somewhere on the picture I'd suggest to mark a space that that village will occur so the viewer know how big it is compared to the rest of picture.
And don't be afraid of practicing drawing longer lines. The hand skills comes after some effort ;)
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:51 pm

NesoKaiyoH

It's good to see you've started on your world building! I know how difficult it can be, and to study everything in a world that makes it believable and realistic is an incredibly hard task and takes many years to master. However, I've been doing it a long while now and the only things to have come out of it is all good things! I've enjoyed it so much and the freedom to be able to create your own worlds and characters is absolutely fantastic.

Saying that, I'd suggest you definitely do a lot of studies on this journey, like a heck of a lot! xD It's good to have a balance between memory and studies, but if you haven't built a memory first then you have nothing to work on from your visual library. Either way I wish you the best of luck!
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby Markus Creation » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:14 pm

Markus Creation

@ Koźlik: Thx for your feedback and Input! Cool, that you watched it! Yes, showing the village in the context of those thumbnails I should do. Not exactly sure what you mean by `dont be afraid to draw over the form to make it realistic`.

@ NesoKaiyoH: Thx for your feedback and Input! Lots of studies, got it! Good thing about that is, that studies themself can look very nice, so theres something to show.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

blacksmithRemake_small.jpg

windmills_small.jpg

windmills_mood_small.jpg

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:39 pm

NesoKaiyoH

I've noticed also your colours are very typically of colour, if that makes sense. Colour wouldn't look that bright or saturated in real life unless influenced by powerful sunlight. Saturation usually comes in the shadows, and you have bounce light from the sky. Your colours are too monotone and lack variation. For instance the sky would graduate from different shades of blue and even reds and greens and purples depending on time of day, and grass would have reds, pinks, yellows, browns etc in it as well, also dependent on time of day. I think it'd be good to do some researching into that, James Gurney's Colour and Light: A guide for the Realist Painter would help a lot.
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby Markus Creation » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:23 pm

Markus Creation

NesoKaiyoH wrote: [...]Your colours are too monotone and lack variation.[...]

You are right, I noticed that myself,too. I have a bit trouble with weaving another color(-tone) for example into the sky without it looking like some floating, dark blue object. I guess I have to practice blending there. Okay, If you say Gurney would help, maybe I will order that book. I have "Imaginative Realism" but the other one not, yet.

Postby Markus Creation » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:47 pm

Markus Creation

Episode 2 of "Creating my own world":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCIE5EbEp0I

@NesoKaiyoH: Of course I could not implement your suggestions with more diversified colors, yet. But I have it in mind and try to learn that for some of the next pictures. Takes at least a little bit of time.

And here's one page of studies/sketches from the video:

VillageSketches_small.jpg

Postby Xiphor » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:01 pm

Xiphor

Looking good Mark. Now ik that you dont work with pen and ink, but I know a channel on youtube that does a lot of tutorials on urban sketching and stuff and I think youll find a lot of it usefull. Talk about how to direct a persons eye, create interest in certain places of the drawing, and also the art of suggestion in drawing(not drawing everything, but making a suggestion of what is there without actually drawing it). He also has great stuff on environments like trees, rocks, cliff-faces and a bunch of other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LighterNot ... helf_id=14

Thats a set of playlists that I think youll find quite useful, you can pick and choose at your own pace :D

Postby Markus Creation » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:53 pm

Markus Creation

Markus Creation wrote:Episode 2 of "Creating my own world":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCIE5EbEp0I

And here's one page of studies/sketches from the video:

VillageSketches_small.jpg

Xiphor wrote:Looking good Mark. Now ik that you dont work with pen and ink, but I know a channel on youtube that does a lot of tutorials on urban sketching and stuff and I think youll find a lot of it usefull. Talk about how to direct a persons eye, create interest in certain places of the drawing, and also the art of suggestion in drawing(not drawing everything, but making a suggestion of what is there without actually drawing it). He also has great stuff on environments like trees, rocks, cliff-faces and a bunch of other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LighterNot ... helf_id=14

Thats a set of playlists that I think youll find quite useful, you can pick and choose at your own pace :D

Thx, Xiph. I will check that out! ;)

Postby Markus Creation » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:53 pm

Markus Creation

Also from episode 2

VillageMood_small.jpg

Postby Markus Creation » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:44 pm

Markus Creation

Very quick facial expression sketches (wanted to make them all just into smiley-faces, but got way too detailled)

expressions1_small.jpg

Postby Markus Creation » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Markus Creation

facial expressions reduced to smiley faces a bit better this time

expressions2_small.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook