Page 1 of 2

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:55 am
by JesseT
I think I'll start presenting my digital work here. Keep me posted on your thoughts.

I'll start with photo and life studies. This is mainly going to be a journey of color exploration to start. And alot of digital painting.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:32 pm
by Fergato
Hey buddy, welcome! Nice start. :)
Can you tell us something more about yourself?

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:20 pm
by JesseT
Fergato wrote:Can you tell us something more about yourself?


Hey thanks man :D Uh I'm 24, I'm from California and I have been drawing the better part of my entire life, but only recently started seriously considering it as a career. Before about a month ago I had never even touched photo reference or committed real time to practice, but I had frequently spent hours in front of my computer with stacks and stacks of printer paper just drawing faces and poses in ballpoint pen. I'm pretty new to color theory, but I find that supplementing my digital sessions with copious plein aire oil painting has really improved my eye rapidly. I think that in a perfect world I wind up a cover illustrator, splash arist, concept artist maybe even stray more towards industrial and environmental subjects. I'm really just at the starting point, but I like doing it all. I think that covers the main bases. As far as personality goes, I think I'm a nice dude, so if you have any questions about my art or direction or if you need help and think I can help, don't be afraid to ask and I surely won't be afraid to ask you the same haha.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:07 pm
by Zearthus
@JESSET
Hey mate welcome aboard! Good to see new members, and thanks for sharing your story. I assume you already have a couple of books to learn from right? If not you can check this discussion for things you can try, and sources:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15422

And yeah, hope to see more of your posts. Have fun man!

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:20 pm
by Fergato
JesseT wrote:
Fergato wrote:Can you tell us something more about yourself?


Hey thanks man :D Uh I'm 24, I'm from California and I have been drawing the better part of my entire life, but only recently started seriously considering it as a career. Before about a month ago I had never even touched photo reference or committed real time to practice, but I had frequently spent hours in front of my computer with stacks and stacks of printer paper just drawing faces and poses in ballpoint pen. I'm pretty new to color theory, but I find that supplementing my digital sessions with copious plein aire oil painting has really improved my eye rapidly. I think that in a perfect world I wind up a cover illustrator, splash arist, concept artist maybe even stray more towards industrial and environmental subjects. I'm really just at the starting point, but I like doing it all. I think that covers the main bases. As far as personality goes, I think I'm a nice dude, so if you have any questions about my art or direction or if you need help and think I can help, don't be afraid to ask and I surely won't be afraid to ask you the same haha.


Hahaha, I won't be afraid to ask or question.
Draw draw and draw and when you don't feel like doing it, draw at least fifteen minutes, anything.
I'll keep an eye on your post. :)

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:43 am
by JesseT
Just another color study. Trying out some African skin tones. I kinda threw in the towel after about 3 hours. This is not easy, but I can tell you I learned alot.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:03 am
by JesseT
Zearthus wrote:@JESSET
Hey mate welcome aboard! Good to see new members, and thanks for sharing your story. I assume you already have a couple of books to learn from right? If not you can check this discussion for things you can try, and sources:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15422

And yeah, hope to see more of your posts. Have fun man!


Hey man, thanks! I have been working pretty hard on photo study and plein aire these days due to my previously abysmal approach towards color. That's my main project right now. I'm gonna start trying to post my original works in the next couple of weeks, but I think that my fundamentals need immediate improvement before I can do them justice. Thanks for the resources, I'll be sure to check 'em out!

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:22 pm
by Wyervan
I love the different colors you use only on skintones. Please keep drawing!

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:37 pm
by JesseT
Wyervan wrote:I love the different colors you use only on skintones. Please keep drawing!


Thanks for watching, man. I will hopefully start putting up some original works pretty soon if I can get my mind right haha.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:49 am
by JesseT
Trying to apply color studies to imagination stuff. I'm pretty happy with it.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:06 pm
by JesseT
Somewhat rendered. I think this study is over. Done completely from imagination. Mostly experimenting.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:16 am
by JesseT
Done been figuring our how do use photoshop more and more. Just making some faces all day.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:22 am
by JesseT
I did a quick 45 minute thing of my cousin on her phone. She was moving around alot, so I couldn't fix many of form issues at the end, but I liked the colors and setting pretty well.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:11 pm
by Vixie
it looks good for such a quick sketch =) did you draw it on something portable or did you have a good view from PC? =)

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:18 pm
by JesseT
Vixie wrote:it looks good for such a quick sketch =) did you draw it on something portable or did you have a good view from PC? =)


I have been using a Surface pro 3 for most of this stuff. I have never really known how to use photoshop effectively until recently and I'm having a really fun time.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:49 am
by monrx
nice stuff! I really love the colors on the african skin tone study

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:55 pm
by JesseT
monrx wrote:nice stuff! I really love the colors on the african skin tone study


Hey thank man. I have been trying to get my colors from observation on lock :D

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:48 am
by JesseT
Did a self portrait recently purely to use as an avatar on stuff. Mostly a color/portrait study. I think I did reasonably well. I think all together it was about 4.5 hours.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:27 pm
by Fergato
Awesome updates man!
I really really like the african skin tone study. I think you should get back to it. ;)

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:38 am
by JesseT
Experimenting a little bit with color and tools in Ps. All from imagination.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:38 am
by JesseT
Some short study of a scholar. Didn't color the glasses. All from imagination this time. I'm happy with it.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:47 am
by JesseT
Just drew some faces for funsies. Thought they were kinda nice.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:17 am
by JesseT
I worked on this a little more. Rendered out her chest and arms a bit and made the hands read a little better. Will probably keep working on it a little bit.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:12 am
by JesseT
Character illustration sketch. Experimenting with work paths and clip layers. Been also trying to practice gesture/proportion from no reference/memory. Extensive minute poses etc.

JesseT's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:14 am
by JesseT
Hitchhike angel. Starting to render. I think I'm like 2 - 3 hours deep right this moment.