Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Lunknown » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:21 am

Lunknown

Subject title: Lunknown's Scribbles and Sketches

I am a teenager, and have been drawing seriously for about a 1 and a 1/2 years. I also have been interested in ceramics and jewelry for give or take four years. I primarily sketch traditionally, but draw digitally occasionally.

Thanks for stopping by, and here are some of the sketches, drawings, jewelry, and other crap I've made :).
Any feedback and constructive criticism is welcome :D
Cardinal.jpeg
Peony Smaller Pixel Size.jpeg
Sketch of a peony flower with copics. I tried to use a larger variety of color and include colors like greens and purples, so it's not just shades of red.
Light Computer Smaller Pixel Size.jpeg
I don't have a picture of the finished drawing, but I blacked out the windows in black vertical lines, and darkened the floorboards and table to try to add contrast and draw people's eyes to the girl.
Last edited by Lunknown on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Lunknown, 16 year old aspiring artist
Sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12857

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:54 pm

NesoKaiyoH

I quite like the detail in the last one, especially on the floorboards. Although it kinda looks like she's missing parts of her arm and shoulder hah
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby Lunknown » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:52 pm

Lunknown

Yeah. I don't have a picture of the finished drawing, but I generally darkened everything to bring more contrast to the girl and the computer, and of course filled her arm in.

Postby welume » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:55 pm

welume

Cool, I love these marker drawing :D

Postby DancewithSHINee » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:32 am

DancewithSHINee

Wow, these are amazing c:
"I'm Number 2, looking for a girlfriend who can make bombs and good food."
14 y/o
Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17060
Tumblr: http://dancewithshinee.tumblr.com/

Postby Lunknown » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:43 am

Lunknown

Thanks you so much!!!

Here are a few watercolors I've been working on.

The first one with the blue bird was to get the hang of watercolors, since I was struggling with them before.

The second horse painting was an assignment that was supposed to incorporate how warm colors pop and cool colors recede. I used warm colors for the horse, and desaturated warm colors for the shadows and darker areas, and cool colors for the background.

The last one with the three birds is a WIP assignment that's supposed to use a pair of complimentary colors. I'm not sure if it was my best idea to use all three pairs. I'm not sure if the entire rainbow is too much. Any thoughts?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Postby crow » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:59 am

crow

The feathers on those birds and especially the robin (robin? red bird? first post) are gorgeous. I really like the color and attention to detail.

Postby Lunknown » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:39 am

Lunknown

crow wrote:The feathers on those birds and especially the robin (robin? red bird? first post) are gorgeous. I really like the color and attention to detail.

Thank you! It's based off of a cardinal. I was experimenting with copic markers.

Postby Lunknown » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:56 am

Lunknown

After a few epic failures with faces, I got into the zone and drew a few faces that I really like. I feel like I used a fewer number of lines/did fewer number of "trial and error" lines that I usually draw to try to get the right angles down. I don't know if this is actually true, but I also feel like I used fewer lines to describe the people more accurately than I normally do.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Postby Lunknown » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:37 am

Lunknown

I know this forum is mostly for drawing/painting and stuff of that sort, but here is one of the necklaces I finished a few weeks ago. I used 12/0 seed beads and gold superduos. I was pleasantly surprised it didn't take as long to make as I was expecting it to be. It took around 3-4 hours, while other projects of mine have taken like 12 hours, more or less.
image.jpg

Postby Tuna863 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:50 am

Tuna863

Your art looks really good! And glad that there's another traditional artist here :)

Just one thing that I could advise is to bring more variety in the thickness of your lines (mostly for the copic marker pictures), they just look a little bit too thick. But it's probably just me xD;;
♢ 17 ♢ F ♢ An aspiring artist ♢
(Also an Evangelion fanatic)

Sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12835
My Tumblr: http://quietly-drawing.tumblr.com

Postby Lunknown » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:50 am

Lunknown

Watercolor practice. The colors are pretty desaturated in the photo though. I'm working on learning how to block in the face quickly, without erasing and redrawing my pencil marks a billion times. I thought a good way to practice that would be to sketch people in water colors, since they're permanent (and I also need practice in them too).

I think the top ones are pretty awkward, but I really like how the bottom ones turned out, especially how the complimentary colors slightly blended together where the hair meets the face.
image.jpg
Last edited by Lunknown on Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Lunknown » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:58 am

Lunknown

Tuna863 wrote:Your art looks really good! And glad that there's another traditional artist here :)

Just one thing that I could advise is to bring more variety in the thickness of your lines (mostly for the copic marker pictures), they just look a little bit too thick. But it's probably just me xD;;

Thanks! I find that my sketches tend to look better when drawing traditionally.

Yeah, I have a problem with variation of line. It doesn't help that I like to use mechanical pencils when sketching :?. I try to use the pointy and flat side of the lead (since it usually gets pointed to one side when I draw) but there's only so much variation you can get with a .7mm wide piece of lead.

Postby Rose-Davies » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:51 am

Rose-Davies

I love your watercolours. :shock:

Postby Hybridcity » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:22 am

Hybridcity

Ooh, I really like the silhouette-faces you just posted. They're super cool, and I really like that individual blue bird you painted on the branch. The only problem I've spotted thus far in this sb, is the horse. It's snout (?) is too small at the end. :>

Just watch out next time! c:
18 year old person doing the art thing

InstaGRAM: https://instagram.com/hybridremmie/
SketchBOOK: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17689

Postby Lunknown » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:51 pm

Lunknown

Hybridcity wrote:Ooh, I really like the silhouette-faces you just posted. They're super cool, and I really like that individual blue bird you painted on the branch. The only problem I've spotted thus far in this sb, is the horse. It's snout (?) is too small at the end. :>

Just watch out next time! c:

Thanks! I mostly draw people, but I have been trying to branch out into animals a bit, so I'm not a one-trick pony

Postby Lunknown » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:08 am

Lunknown

More watercolor sketches! I like the top ones, but I feel kinda iffy about the bottom two, especially the jaw region of the blue guy. Are there any anatomy issues or something, or is it just the awkward length and width of the mouth/dark blue region?

I'm learning how to draw figures, and know basic head proportions. I am going to start learning the bone structure and muscles and all that stuff. Any crits on my figures? Here are the reference pics I used.

http://images.metmuseum.org/CRDImages/g ... 138723.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... G_0548.JPG

The second one in blue is supposed to be from below, but I was feeling pretty lazy and didn't try to really exaggerate that though.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Postby plixik » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:55 am

plixik

I always love colorful birdy art. Nice work.

Postby Lunknown » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:06 am

Lunknown

Not exactly a sketch, but I taught myself book binding basics from Sealemon's YouTube video!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Postby Lunknown » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:10 pm

Lunknown

People sketches!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Postby Greep3r » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:14 pm

Greep3r

Birds! yaay! :D
Really love your diversity in your work, same goes for your jewelry. Really nice stuff. Keep going mate! :)

Postby Lunknown » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:30 am

Lunknown

I've been working on rendering the form and planes of the face, rather than the features, and adding a larger range of values in my sketches.

Thoughts?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Postby Lunknown » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:33 am

Lunknown

Doodle
image.jpg

Postby Tuna863 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:43 am

Tuna863

Liking your renderings so far. One this I'd advise to do is to make your shapes stronger and more defined. The sketchiness of the renderings is kind of getting in the way of telling apart a mass of shadow from a mass of light. Focus on blocking out the masses of shadow instead of sketching them in (draw an outline and then shade it in). It really helps to make your work read as the forms you're trying to represent.

But what do I know, I still have a lot to work on too. Just something that I noticed ;w; A good artist friend of mine used to get up on my case for doing the same thing, so I've been working on it too.
Working with charcoal really helps! Because it's so difficult to sketch well with charcoal, you have to focus on laying down values instead of lines (if that makes sense). It also helps you achieve a full range of values. :) I'm bad at explaining things, but hopefully you got something out of this aha;;;
♢ 17 ♢ F ♢ An aspiring artist ♢
(Also an Evangelion fanatic)

Sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12835
My Tumblr: http://quietly-drawing.tumblr.com

Postby Lunknown » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:07 am

Lunknown

Tuna863 wrote:Liking your renderings so far. One this I'd advise to do is to make your shapes stronger and more defined. The sketchiness of the renderings is kind of getting in the way of telling apart a mass of shadow from a mass of light. Focus on blocking out the masses of shadow instead of sketching them in (draw an outline and then shade it in). It really helps to make your work read as the forms you're trying to represent.

But what do I know, I still have a lot to work on too. Just something that I noticed ;w; A good artist friend of mine used to get up on my case for doing the same thing, so I've been working on it too.
Working with charcoal really helps! Because it's so difficult to sketch well with charcoal, you have to focus on laying down values instead of lines (if that makes sense). It also helps you achieve a full range of values. :) I'm bad at explaining things, but hopefully you got something out of this aha;;;

Thank you! I never thought about that. I'm really trying to draw people more quickly and accurately. This will help a lot!

Next

Return to Sketchbook