Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

 

Postby Gasoline-Girl » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:44 pm

User avatar
  Gasoline-Girl
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: Germany

Subject title: Ria's Sketchbook

Hello! My name is Maria and I'm a 15 year-old from Germany.
My ambition is to become a professional comic and concept artist.



I discovered this weird thing I call the triangle torso (It's a bit useless since that's not exactly the thorax and when you do that triangle thing you can't move the shoulders but whatevs)
mah.PNG
meh.PNG
mö.PNG
muh.PNG
mi.PNG
I also doodled a bit
Last edited by Gasoline-Girl on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

 

Postby welume » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:44 pm

User avatar
  welume
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:28 pm
Location: Poland

Hey, welcome to the forum :D
Drawings look very nice but you should work on your line quality, so it won't look like a fur :P
Keep up the good work ;)

 

Postby z4m97 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:37 pm

User avatar
  z4m97
Posts: 2118
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:00 am
Location: unknown

triangle torso is really interesting, im still trying to get better at drawing humans, but i make a totally different approach...without guidelines properly said, just sketching the overal volumes then defining the countours :D

about your line quality i dont know if thats your issue or a tablet issue, as drawing digitaly is goddamn hard...anyway its going great so far ria :)
welcome to the forums :D

 

Postby Gasoline-Girl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:52 pm

User avatar
  Gasoline-Girl
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: Germany

welume wrote:Hey, welcome to the forum :D
Drawings look very nice but you should work on your line quality, so it won't look like a fur :P
Keep up the good work ;)


Thank you!
I kind of like that it looks like "fur". It looks like I was trying, but not too hard. Sketchy sketches are a cool thing


z4m97 wrote:triangle torso is really interesting, im still trying to get better at drawing humans, but i make a totally different approach...without guidelines properly said, just sketching the overal volumes then defining the countours :D

about your line quality i dont know if thats your issue or a tablet issue, as drawing digitaly is goddamn hard...anyway its going great so far ria :)
welcome to the forums :D


I think it's always better to do the guidelines than just sketching it
You should totally try it!
Also thank you!

 

Postby z4m97 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:35 pm

User avatar
  z4m97
Posts: 2118
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:00 am
Location: unknown

Gasoline-Girl wrote:
welume wrote:Hey, welcome to the forum :D
Drawings look very nice but you should work on your line quality, so it won't look like a fur :P
Keep up the good work ;)


Thank you!
I kind of like that it looks like "fur". It looks like I was trying, but not too hard. Sketchy sketches are a cool thing


z4m97 wrote:triangle torso is really interesting, im still trying to get better at drawing humans, but i make a totally different approach...without guidelines properly said, just sketching the overal volumes then defining the countours :D

about your line quality i dont know if thats your issue or a tablet issue, as drawing digitaly is goddamn hard...anyway its going great so far ria :)
welcome to the forums :D


I think it's always better to do the guidelines than just sketching it
You should totally try it!
Also thank you!

i learnt the guidelines, so now i dont need that many of them...just a few for proportions and reminders for angles xD

 

Postby Gasoline-Girl » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:13 pm

User avatar
  Gasoline-Girl
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: Germany

I'm slowly getting better
black woods nzmph.jpg

 

Postby TheRainbowRose » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:27 am

User avatar
  TheRainbowRose
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:33 am
Location: Connecticut. USA

Nice work! For that portrait, I'd say that your face/head proportions are really good, the only thing I find off is probably the eye shape and maybe the position of the ears. Dark skin has a whole lot of range of value, so don't be afraid to add those light colors!
Professional procrastinator and over-blender
Check here for all my social media! http://morasanders.flavors.me/

 

Postby Gasoline-Girl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:47 pm

User avatar
  Gasoline-Girl
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: Germany

TheRainbowRose wrote:Nice work! For that portrait, I'd say that your face/head proportions are really good, the only thing I find off is probably the eye shape and maybe the position of the ears. Dark skin has a whole lot of range of value, so don't be afraid to add those light colors!


Thank you!
I'll do better next time I draw dark skin. :D

 

Postby Gasoline-Girl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:54 pm

User avatar
  Gasoline-Girl
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: Germany

Color Practice!!!
I was too lazy to do the hair. nah.
I've noticed that she looks too pale, but I'm afraid to use darker colors, because then the character would look old.
skin.jpg

 

Postby Gasoline-Girl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:52 pm

User avatar
  Gasoline-Girl
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: Germany

I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING
ha.png

 

Postby Gasoline-Girl » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:56 pm

User avatar
  Gasoline-Girl
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: Germany

This is Phoenix. (She doesn't have a real name yet)
She's one of the side characters in the comic idea I've had for a few weeks.
Is there anything I could correct?
phoenix.jpg

 

Postby Gasoline-Girl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:52 pm

User avatar
  Gasoline-Girl
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: Germany

Wow. I haven't updated my sketchbook for soooooooooooooo long.
Have a modern!Grantaire sketch
Capture.PNG

 

Postby Greep3r » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:19 pm

User avatar
  Greep3r
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:05 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Hey mate. Nice start.
Definitely try some different expressions (study how muscles work etc.)
Other than that, as always, hone your fundamental skills (anatomy, values, colors - fairly easy to understand -, perspective,.. ) since without it you will struggle alot. Ofc. don't forget to use your imagination from time to time.
Cheers.! :)

 

Postby Gevoian » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:20 pm

User avatar
  Gevoian
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:46 pm

i think u could correct line quality as welume mentioned, it will make your work and oc look more defined and less distracting from the messy lines, you can also identify the character easier.

 

Postby DancewithSHINee » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:20 am

User avatar
  DancewithSHINee
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:34 pm

Yes, line quality makes such a difference in art. It would allow everyone to understand you sketches better, too cx
Also, it looks like you don't draw full body figures much?
"I'm Number 2, looking for a girlfriend who can make bombs and good food."
14 y/o
Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17060
Tumblr: http://dancewithshinee.tumblr.com/

 

Postby Gasoline-Girl » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:27 am

User avatar
  Gasoline-Girl
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: Germany

Greep3r wrote:Hey mate. Nice start.
Definitely try some different expressions (study how muscles work etc.)
Other than that, as always, hone your fundamental skills (anatomy, values, colors - fairly easy to understand -, perspective,.. ) since without it you will struggle alot. Ofc. don't forget to use your imagination from time to time.
Cheers.! :)


Thank you! ^^ I'm trying to do that more often, but all my studies are in some folder on my laptop and they're all messier than the pics above, so I don't upload them.


Gevoian wrote:i think u could correct line quality as welume mentioned, it will make your work and oc look more defined and less distracting from the messy lines, you can also identify the character easier.


I'm working on it, but it's pretty hard for a amateur like me. I don't have the patience to sit in front of one drawing just because of the line art. Do you see my problem? :(


DancewithSHINee wrote:Yes, line quality makes such a difference in art. It would allow everyone to understand you sketches better, too cx
Also, it looks like you don't draw full body figures much?


I do draw full body images, but they're all in that one folder and it's not very pleasing to look at them.

 

Postby DancewithSHINee » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:19 pm

User avatar
  DancewithSHINee
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:34 pm

You know, if you spend more time on the lineart the whole drawing will improve and you'll learn more as an artist. After a while you won't have to sit there forever because it will be easier for you to make the clean lines.
"I'm Number 2, looking for a girlfriend who can make bombs and good food."
14 y/o
Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17060
Tumblr: http://dancewithshinee.tumblr.com/

 

Postby Gasoline-Girl » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:35 pm

User avatar
  Gasoline-Girl
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: Germany

DancewithSHINee wrote:You know, if you spend more time on the lineart the whole drawing will improve and you'll learn more as an artist. After a while you won't have to sit there forever because it will be easier for you to make the clean lines.


So basically you're saying a good drawing takes it's time?

 

Postby Gasoline-Girl » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:36 pm

User avatar
  Gasoline-Girl
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: Germany

I've done the line art and the flats of the modern!Grantaire drawing.
Capture.PNG

 

Postby Gevoian » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:50 pm

User avatar
  Gevoian
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:46 pm

Why not use pencil tool and use tablet sensitivity to draw lighter so at least when u make dark lines they are at necessary places

 

Postby DancewithSHINee » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:11 pm

User avatar
  DancewithSHINee
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:34 pm

That's exactly what I'm saying. You can't expect a good drawing to come form five minutes of sketching.
"I'm Number 2, looking for a girlfriend who can make bombs and good food."
14 y/o
Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17060
Tumblr: http://dancewithshinee.tumblr.com/

 

Postby Gasoline-Girl » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:23 pm

User avatar
  Gasoline-Girl
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: Germany

Gevoian wrote:Why not use pencil tool and use tablet sensitivity to draw lighter so at least when u make dark lines they are at necessary places

I'll try to think of that next time I'm drawing. Thank you. ^^

DancewithSHINee wrote:That's exactly what I'm saying. You can't expect a good drawing to come form five minutes of sketching.

Sadly ^^'


I've finished the drawing and I feel kind of unsatisfied with it.
Capture.PNG

 

Postby DancewithSHINee » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:52 am

User avatar
  DancewithSHINee
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:34 pm

Maybe it's the colors? Everything is kind of dull, if you bold some of the colors it might look better :D
"I'm Number 2, looking for a girlfriend who can make bombs and good food."
14 y/o
Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17060
Tumblr: http://dancewithshinee.tumblr.com/

 

Postby Greep3r » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:29 pm

User avatar
  Greep3r
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:05 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Nose is little bit off in terms of anatomy.
That aside, agree with Shinee, experiment more with colors, don't be afraid of it :)

 

Postby Gevoian » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:59 pm

User avatar
  Gevoian
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:46 pm

DancewithSHINee wrote:Maybe it's the colors? Everything is kind of dull, if you bold some of the colors it might look better :D

and the shape of the eyes

Next

Return to Sketchbook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests