Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:57 am

supremeleaderbobo

Subject title: supremeleaderbobo's sketchbook extraordinaire

i'm not exactly sure if i'm doing this right, and i just joined, but i really like this whole sketchbook thing; anyways i only have sketches really going back to last year when i started to try to learn how to draw. i was always one of those kids who was notably worse at drawing and painting than all of the other kids, and in all of my art classes i got incredibly bad marks going back to middle school. anyways, that's some background, but right now i'm a freshman in college and i'm 18. i hate that i didn't start drawing earlier, and really i only started last year, so my coordination and understanding of basically everything is pretty rough, but as sinix infamously claims, 'pshh yeah you can like totally get super good at art in a year', so basically i'm trying to do that by the end of the year. also, i don't really know if this forum is still super active, because i've been watching sycra videos from like 5 years ago and then realizing that it's now like 5 years later, so thats the weirdest feeling.

ok, enjoy this weird stuff; oh! i'm one of those stereotypical guys who likes anime too, so have fun looking at cruddy anime knockoffs. p.s., most of my influence later on comes from a guy named andrea cofrancesco, or @andrewcockroach on instagram. he is so so so so so so good if you like cute, but also just really high quality stuff. my other favorite artists are of course bobmeatbag and sycra, but just sycra's pointy chin stuff. it's so damn cool...
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG
enjoy this gorgeous portrait of a handsome anime man
IMG_0033.JPG
gold standard of abs
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG
stanley from the office
IMG_0040.JPG
i think this was when i discovered sinix, and a lot of the stuff for a while reflects his videos
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
hey man you like drawing wow crazy me too what are the odds wow small world wow

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:13 am

supremeleaderbobo

aaaaaand more stuff
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG
this was around when i realized that i had absolutely no idea how to draw girls and that i hated everything i had drawn so far
IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
clearly great art going on here
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0071.JPG
i started doing these fancy studies because they made me feel as if i was learning a lot
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0073.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG
too cool for reference
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0079 (1).JPG
IMG_0080.JPG

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:26 am

supremeleaderbobo

aaaaand even more stuff
IMG_0081.JPG
i basically quit drawing for a few months after this because i was so frustrated
IMG_0082.JPG
aaaaaaand this was when i came back to drawing about a month ago, i saw @parkjinsuky on instagram's work and really liked it, but i had absolutely no ability
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG
hehe i like this guy
IMG_0086.JPG
aaaaand here i realized that i really liked cartoony stuff but i had absolutely no clue how to do it
IMG_0087.JPG
aaaaaand i turned this into a finished drawing but its too big so i'll upload it later
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG
this was about where i saw what i really really liked and wanted to draw and refine a lot
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG
monky
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG
*sad bean noises*
IMG_0105.JPG
foot yuum

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:35 am

supremeleaderbobo

these are within the last week
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG
in case you didn't know how to draw a really cool pose
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG
doesn't this just make you feel so excited
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG
i really felt like this guy is in a style that i just want to refine; i really like how low the mouth rests with this styel
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
some rocky figure drawings
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG
these are really really rough; forgive me, this was only my second day figure drawing
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG
mega bruh moment; tried face gesture

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:42 am

supremeleaderbobo

aaaaaaaand sorrrrryyyy this is the last bit; some of this is from today. i feel like the biggest change in the recent month is just having been drawing stuff i actually like........ which do that if you're not! what am i doing, giving advice. i'm a total newb. anyways, thanks if you're still scrolling through this :D you're the bomb dot diggity wiggity piggity higgity com(mie).
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG
aaaaand these are some ones that got off on a crazy rough start today
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG
the head is way too freaking large, but this was the first time i kind of just tried to flesh out an idea so i was excited
IMG_0143.JPG
i like this dude, i think i would have fleshed out this idea more
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0146.JPG
aaaaaand i stopped while i was ahead today, because i liked the pose this girl with the cruddy looking axe had (ignor the failure above)

Postby fi_le » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:25 pm

fi_le

A big welcome to the forums, great to have you.

You're a fast learner! There are a lot of beautiful lucky shots in there that you can be proud of, especially the skulls and eyes. Damn those sinixy eyes are great, why can't I do those....A few suggestions from me would be:
-More reference, a lot more from life (maybe a nice chair?)
-Try a thick pen for a day

I hope you get better than me quickly, you can do it! Keep drawing!
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:13 am

supremeleaderbobo

hey thanks so much for the feedback!!! yeah, honestly i'm bad at drawing but really bad at life drawing, so I was kind of avoiding it, but you're totally right I definitely need to work on that. i'll probably throw that in my next sketch dump. thanks dude!!!

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:29 pm

supremeleaderbobo

if anyone wants to do a sketch over of this really messy line art that would be cool; i'm not really sure how fabric works, but i'd love to learn
hairblowingpaintoverrequest!!!butsmol.jpg

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:06 am

supremeleaderbobo

eeeeeeeh ok lemme know what you think of this wip. i feel like the gesture is lackluster and the more i look at it the less i like it. ANY critique is super greatly appreciated, and if you do a paint over i will worship you like a god. anyways, have a goooooooood night,

oh also, if you're interested in doing a contest in the arena, hmu, because i would totally kill just to draw with a few people and see what happens.
samsons and delilahh rough.jpg
yeah so this was the first bit; i did some pretty good looking hands before this, but they got cropped :'(
samsonanddelilahlineart.jpg
aaaaaaaand just before the final lineart. let me know if the proportions feel right; i was a bit apprehensive with the girl's head.

Postby PitE » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:08 am

PitE

Wasaaaaaap

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:33 pm

supremeleaderbobo

heyyyyyyyy @PitE. avert your eyes from these ungodly images.

Postby Agitato » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:07 pm

Agitato

Critique for your last post: her left leg is way shorter than her right; her right thigh is very long. I would study up on the rhythms of the legs, yours are looking too symmetrical in curvature currently (snowman effect). Her right humerus is too long and her forearm is too short. Right arm longer than left overall. The pose lacks 3-dimensionality. The concavity of her hips is a bit strange imo, but idk may be just a stylistic thing that just isn't to my own taste. The way her hair is sitting on her head suggest a hat rather than hair imo. Head looks like it's not centered on the neck. Cute face tho uwu

Things to study: Proportions, simplified figure constructions, perspective, figure rhythms, anatomy. Hope this helps!
Last edited by Agitato on Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely.

Instagram DeviantArt Tumblr Artstation
Sketchbook
Discord: Agitato#8432

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:41 pm

supremeleaderbobo

dude thanks so much @agitato. i think i'll submit the paint i did yesterday, but yeah there's so much totally broken stuff. and it's so damn stiff! but i didn't realize that until i looked at some unstiff stuf. thanks for the honest critique, i can't find that anywhere. btw, your figure drawings are insane and your gorls are mighty cute uwu

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:34 pm

supremeleaderbobo

ok here's a color of the last one; a lot of problems with this picture that became less and less obvious the longer i was looking at it. anyways, here it is. i have a long way to go, but i suppose the key is consistency with these sorts of things.
she'sgunnahituRENDEREDbutcropped12.3.19.png

Postby Agitato » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:34 pm

Agitato

supremeleaderbobo wrote:dude thanks so much @agitato. i think i'll submit the paint i did yesterday, but yeah there's so much totally broken stuff. and it's so damn stiff! but i didn't realize that until i looked at some unstiff stuf. thanks for the honest critique, i can't find that anywhere. btw, your figure drawings are insane and your gorls are mighty cute uwu

Yeah no problem man! And thanks xD

supremeleaderbobo wrote:ok here's a color of the last one; a lot of problems with this picture that became less and less obvious the longer i was looking at it. anyways, here it is. i have a long way to go, but i suppose the key is consistency with these sorts of things.

The final definitely has a charm to it lol, I like the angularity. And yep, just keep with it! As a beginner I think it's most important to learn how to learn, how to think about and conceptualize and dissect things. I've been studying art seriously since 2017, so a yearish longer than you have, so I'm still noobie at a lot of things too, but I think this understanding of things has been a huge help to me. It just takes time for everything to break down and reform in your mind. IDK about getting to a pro level in a single year like Sinix suggests, I already missed that train xD. Maybe if you were super dedicated every single day, my stamina for art isn't enough currently. I'm trying to work on that though!
Sincerely.

Sketchbook

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:46 pm

supremeleaderbobo

oh sinix...

yeah it kind of blows my mind that he was able to do that! but i understand when i watch his twitch streams because he's really thinking about what he's doing and all of his pieces are guided by rules regarding form and stuff. that's crazy how far you made it since 2017! your sketches are mind blowingly economic with lines, something i just can't do yet. also your graphical work is sick. what's your end goal?

Postby Agitato » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:38 pm

Agitato

supremeleaderbobo wrote:oh sinix...

yeah it kind of blows my mind that he was able to do that! but i understand when i watch his twitch streams because he's really thinking about what he's doing and all of his pieces are guided by rules regarding form and stuff. that's crazy how far you made it since 2017! your sketches are mind blowingly economic with lines, something i just can't do yet. also your graphical work is sick. what's your end goal?

I feel like I still have a ways to go hah, thank you though xD. Yeah those graphic portraits were a lot of fun, I'll prob be doing similar for a while, good practice breaking things into light and shadow decisively and designing shapes.

To blow up, and then act like I don't know nobody. :lol: HAHAHAHA :lol:
Serious answer to your question: character illustration. League splash artist or similar is what I'm aiming at currently. Character design eventually too I hope, but I haven't really worked on that at all yet so idk really lol.

What about yourself?
Sincerely.

Sketchbook

Postby svarn » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:40 pm

svarn

Since you were asking for a critique / overpaint.

In general I'd suggest to be more mindfull of your proportions, and try not to exagurate as much untill you have a better grasp on human figure. You seem to be treating it rather loosely at the moment which has it's advantages, but on the other hand you end up with arms that probably hang below her knees.
Spoiler: show

Postby fi_le » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:24 pm

fi_le

Woah, amazing paintover!
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:51 pm

supremeleaderbobo

hey thanks @fi_le!!! i was just kind of screwing around and i didn't really indicate much form, but it was fun to see what you can do with a little bit of color. i didn't really indicate much of any form at all, actually. and no shinies! how could i forget shinies...

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:56 pm

supremeleaderbobo

@agitato i love the shark teeth guy. yeah your improvement was super fast. how many hours were you putting in every day? my goal... ehhhhhhhhh i'm not really sure, but if i can draw and create characters, as vague as that is as a goal, i would love that. not as a career i don't think, but who knows, if anyone wants to do art for a job its just a matter of how many hours they're willing to put in i think.

i like just being around art, honestly, so even if i had some menial mundane job but at a studio or around other artists, i would love that so much. i really hadn't drawn anything until i was 17, so that is really aggravating to me now, but hey its never too late to start. you're stuff is so good man, and your figures studies are uh...very uhh...very nice hehe...

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:00 pm

supremeleaderbobo

@svarn OH MY GOSH THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR A PAINTOVER :DDD. thank you man, just for putting in the time. yeah, there's a lot really screwy with it, and you're right, i don't really understand the fundamentals well regarding face planes, even basic proportions.

right now i'm studying the planes and forms of the body actually because i drew a dood and then i tried to turn him for a character sheet and i had a 'o fuc' moment when i realized i just don't even has basic abilities in that regard. thank you so much for the critique, and seeing your paint over really gives me a lot of help regarding process and using 3d forms to construct a figure.

Postby Agitato » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:13 pm

Agitato

@svarn echoing the others, nice paintover! Did much more with less than my block of text accomplished xD

supremeleaderbobo wrote:@agitato i love the shark teeth guy. yeah your improvement was super fast. how many hours were you putting in every day? my goal... ehhhhhhhhh i'm not really sure, but if i can draw and create characters, as vague as that is as a goal, i would love that. not as a career i don't think, but who knows, if anyone wants to do art for a job its just a matter of how many hours they're willing to put in i think.

i like just being around art, honestly, so even if i had some menial mundane job but at a studio or around other artists, i would love that so much. i really hadn't drawn anything until i was 17, so that is really aggravating to me now, but hey its never too late to start. you're stuff is so good man, and your figures studies are uh...very uhh...very nice hehe...

Haha that's good, woulda been awkward if that reference made no sense xD

Hmm I'm not exactly sure, not as much as I feel I should've though, honestly. If you average all the days by hours spent it's probably pretty abysmal because of "empty" days. I had a span this past year where I barely did anything for like 3ish months, and similar the year before that. Usually it's around summer, I get busy with familial obligations and stuff. BUT the important caveat here is that even if I haven't done any art for a while, I am almost always thinking about it, obsessively, and supplementing those thoughts with reading. So I've been studying pretty continuously even when I'm on a lazy streak, if that makes sense. But yeah, in my natural state I'm pretty much the living warning about not letting theory outstrip performance, so I'm constantly trying to fight this tendency. I have been getting better about it lately! Part of it is in general I don't do enough finished pieces. When I am working on something finished it becomes very easy to slide into the 8 hours+ a day that's often cited as being part of serious study; it's hard to get much done with less. Sorry to talk about myself this much in your sketchbook, feels like I'm hijacking it lol, but I find it hard to answer the question succinctly.

Nothing wrong with keeping it a hobby! I know I have my doubts if deciding to pursue it professionally was for the best or not.

Regarding age, I wouldn't sweat that at all lol, you're fine man. 17 is plenty young; making art wasn't even an idea that popped into my head until I was 19, almost 20. And then I spent a year as a hobbyist making some of the cringiest anime art I've seen. Before that my last experience with art was in art class in middle school xD. And the great Craig Mullins didn't start illustration courses until he was like 22 iirc, before that he was in industrial design. Quality of study counts for a lot, and I think that often most of it when people are young is just quantity.
Sincerely.

Sketchbook

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:38 am

supremeleaderbobo

i love cringey anime art, i produce it regularly @agitato.

that's super interesting what you said about just studying and being obsessed over art. i think i heard sinix say something similar, where he said even when he took like a whole year off, he was still obsessing over art from every aspect. there definitely is a lot of information that seeps into the brains just by consuming and then analyzing.

by the way dude, just judging by your recent fheng zhu style studies, i have literally do doubt that you could have a career in art if you are as good as you are. you probably get a lot of commissions, no? bobby chiu has a lot of thoughts regarding mentality when it comes to pursuing in art, which i think are really enlightening if you ever have a free moment to listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KmgN8M ... =BobbyChiu. i feel like bobby is just the epitome of understanding that with art, its just a matter of whether you want it or not, not so much whether you can, because you totally can, and especially looking at your stuff dude...like man...

haha oh my gosh no you're not hijacking my sketchbook, i'm just glad to have people actually comment and care so much about me, some random guy on the internet in the ugliest phase of drawing.

thanks for the comment regarding age, btw. that's something i get anxious over, but it's stupid. yeah, you're definitely right about that.

i read you play piano, btw? were you classical or more improv hobbyist?

Postby Agitato » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:53 am

Agitato

Oh yeah I still actually like anime as a style, I'd say it's the #1 reason I got into art in the first place by a long shot. But when I first started out, man I was bad lol. Sinix's sketchbook tours of his earliest drawings made me feel a bit better since he started late too. I'd say I was a bit better starting out, but not by much xD.

supremeleaderbobo wrote:by the way dude, just judging by your recent fheng zhu style studies, i have literally do doubt that you could have a career in art if you are as good as you are. you probably get a lot of commissions, no? bobby chiu has a lot of thoughts regarding mentality when it comes to pursuing in art, which i think are really enlightening if you ever have a free moment to listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KmgN8M ... =BobbyChiu. i feel like bobby is just the epitome of understanding that with art, its just a matter of whether you want it or not, not so much whether you can, because you totally can, and especially looking at your stuff dude...like man...

Haha well thanks for the vote of confidence man, I'm def trying to ramp up my efforts to get there. I can kinda relate to Sinix a lot actually, in not initially really knowing what I wanted to do (I thought I would go into science for my whole life, majored in computer science for a semester before dropping it because it wasn't speaking to me). To give an idea, one year in high school I took a second AP science class instead of an elective where I was originally gonna put art; being a pro artist was the farthest thing from my mind. Now I'm feeling kind of aimless in my early 20s and wasting too much time, which I know is a regret a lot of artists cite later on. I think the internet era is somewhat unique in this, especially nowadays, with so many websites/apps literally designed to try to pull you in and hold you there as long as possible. This leads into the commissions thing; I've only done a few for friends/family so far. Since almost no one knows I exist, getting a higher than zero amount of commissioners is a bit tricky xD. I need to get finished pieces moving out the door regularly so I can build up a follower base for commissions. Right now I'm gearing up for this moving into the new year, gonna be too hectic with holiday stuff coming up. But in the mean time, I'm gonna study up on some lose ends and then really make a push starting in January to get noticed!

I listened to the Bobby Chiu video and I really ought to watch his vids more lol. Extrapolating on his idea, I think I've been studying with a lot of effort and logic, but not as much time as I could've. My brain gets tired lol. But there's only one way to build stamina. I need to push myself more. I'm starting to get into a rhythm though, it's becoming easier and more fun to do studies. Coming back from a lengthy break is the worst lol, de-rusting is the worst feeling. Better to just not stop.

Yeah, it's nice to just chat actually. Forums are so inactive these days it seems like to have any conversation you need to necro a long dead thread or come up with some new topic on the spot yourself xD.

supremeleaderbobo wrote:i read you play piano, btw? were you classical or more improv hobbyist?

Neither, actually. I taught myself to read and play, similar to how I'm doing with art now, but with less good books to learn from. Piano actually led me back into the arts and got me started drawing! But I dropped it this past year to focus more on art, and now I'm remembering how much I miss it :(

Thanks for listening to my rambles lol, I feel like I'm venting a lot in your sketchbook so sorry about that again ._.
Sincerely.

Sketchbook

Next

Return to Sketchbook