Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

 

Postby MartiMa » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:21 pm

User avatar
  MartiMa
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Subject title: Martina's Sketchbook

I'm new and I'm here looking for critics and tips on how to improve. I'm basically self taught, but this year I started my fist year at art school. Thanks in advance for any help :D

These are some life drawings I did in the past weeks

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

 

Postby Josephcow » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:54 pm

User avatar
  Josephcow
Posts: 809
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:46 pm

These are really nice drawings! What kind of art school do you go to? Have they given you any tips?

I think you can still improve the proportions especially of heads, but the overall proportions are overall well done. The sense of form could be increased by having a more consistent tone for the shadow. In the one of the archer especially, there isn't clear light and shadow, rather different patches are different tones, exaggerating each muscle. Conceiving the small parts in context of a larger whole is really important. For example, on the arm of the archer, each muscle is heavily defined. But the shading should reflect that those muscles belong to an overall form of the arm which is a simple cylinder.

 

Postby arodude » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:51 pm

  arodude
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:42 am

I agree with Josephcow, it might be worth blocking out the shadows instead of hatching them. Proko has a useful breakdown on drawing shadows on forms. I'm really impressed with what you've posted so far and look forward to more updates.

 

Postby MartiMa » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:39 pm

User avatar
  MartiMa
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Thanks to both of you, your comments are really helpful! I'll read the link and try to focus more on shadows and proportions on the next works!

@Josephcow: I go to a traditional art university in Italy, but I don't know the proper English name for it. They didn't give me almost any tips bcs they believe more in expression than tecnique :/

 

Postby Josephcow » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:05 am

User avatar
  Josephcow
Posts: 809
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:46 pm

@Josephcow: I go to a traditional art university in Italy, but I don't know the proper English name for it. They didn't give me almost any tips bcs they believe more in expression than tecnique :/[/quote]

Sorry to hear that, I was afraid that might be the case. It almost always is. :/

 

Postby MartiMa » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:09 pm

User avatar
  MartiMa
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Last 2 life drawings. I tried to focus more on the big shapes
Image Image

 

Postby Polymath » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:48 pm

User avatar
  Polymath
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:22 am

"traditional art university in Italy"
that sounds soo good. So you are in the birthplace of the Renaissance and probably are learning from the descendants of the great masters?

Your life drawings already look incredibly good.

... but what does this mean? "they believe more in expression than tecnique :/"
do they teach at all?

Do you have any specific goals or projects you wanna do?

 

Postby MartiMa » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:01 pm

User avatar
  MartiMa
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Polymath wrote:"traditional art university in Italy"
that sounds soo good. So you are in the birthplace of the Renaissance and probably are learning from the descendants of the great masters?

Your life drawings already look incredibly good.

... but what does this mean? "they believe more in expression than tecnique :/"
do they teach at all?

Do you have any specific goals or projects you wanna do?


Well, I study in Florence so I'm really in the birthplace of the Renaissance :)

And to answer your question: no, they don't teach you anything. Everyday we have a model in class for drawing and painting, but that's it.

I'd like to get better at foundamentals, because I don't know anything about them. As I said I'm basically self taught (I'm an engineer) and I'd really like to improve and learn things.

 

Postby Agitato » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:06 pm

User avatar
  Agitato
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:01 pm
Location: United States

Those last two figures are quite nice! I'm really awful with pencil/hatching T_T

MartiMa wrote:I'd like to get better at foundamentals, because I don't know anything about them. As I said I'm basically self taught (I'm an engineer) and I'd really like to improve and learn things.


I'm self-teaching too, but to me there seems to be plenty of great material on the internet to learn from. I could give you some recommendations if you like!
Bound fast unto our fate
One path, one burden great
Yet ever do our aching souls point Heavensward
Ever rings out our song

DeviantArt Instagram Tumblr Artstation
Sketchbook

 

Postby MartiMa » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:56 pm

User avatar
  MartiMa
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Agitato wrote:I'm self-teaching too, but to me there seems to be plenty of great material on the internet to learn from. I could give you some recommendations if you like!


Yes, please, I'd love to :D

 

Postby Inkey » Wed May 01, 2019 10:29 am

User avatar
  Inkey
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:02 am

Your figures are gorgeous. I aspire to express the figure in the way you do, it's inspiring. I offer nothing of feedback other than my awe. Good job love to see more! xD
A drawing a day keeps the evil demons at bay.
[Sketchbook] [DeviantArt] [Instagram][Discord art community]

 

Postby Agitato » Thu May 02, 2019 9:49 pm

User avatar
  Agitato
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:01 pm
Location: United States

MartiMa wrote:
Agitato wrote:I'm self-teaching too, but to me there seems to be plenty of great material on the internet to learn from. I could give you some recommendations if you like!


Yes, please, I'd love to :D


Hm well, for videos I'd recommend Sycra (ofc), Sinix, Ahmed Aldoori, Marco Bucci, REIQ, Kienan Lafferty, and Proko. For books I'd recommend Steve Huston's figure drawing book and Anatomy for Sculptors (There are a ton of figure drawing books out there as I'm sure you know, I just found these two particularly useful for me personally), Scott Robertson's books (How to Draw and How to Render; these two are extremely dry but if you can get through the material the information is very solid), and Color and Light by James Gurney.

I'm probably forgetting something somewhere and you prob already know of quite a few of these, but hope this is helpful! :D
Bound fast unto our fate
One path, one burden great
Yet ever do our aching souls point Heavensward
Ever rings out our song

DeviantArt Instagram Tumblr Artstation
Sketchbook

 

Postby MartiMa » Sat May 04, 2019 10:41 am

User avatar
  MartiMa
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Inkey wrote:Your figures are gorgeous. I aspire to express the figure in the way you do, it's inspiring. I offer nothing of feedback other than my awe. Good job love to see more! xD

Thanks a lot! Coming from you it's a huge complimento :o

Agitato wrote:
MartiMa wrote:
Agitato wrote:I'm self-teaching too, but to me there seems to be plenty of great material on the internet to learn from. I could give you some recommendations if you like!


Yes, please, I'd love to :D


Hm well, for videos I'd recommend Sycra (ofc), Sinix, Ahmed Aldoori, Marco Bucci, REIQ, Kienan Lafferty, and Proko. For books I'd recommend Steve Huston's figure drawing book and Anatomy for Sculptors (There are a ton of figure drawing books out there as I'm sure you know, I just found these two particularly useful for me personally), Scott Robertson's books (How to Draw and How to Render; these two are extremely dry but if you can get through the material the information is very solid), and Color and Light by James Gurney.

I'm probably forgetting something somewhere and you prob already know of quite a few of these, but hope this is helpful! :D

Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually didn't know almost any of these artists (only Sycra, MArco Bucci, Proko and Steve Huston) and now I can't wait to go and find more about them and their works. Thank you


A quick sketch and a not well done portrait from life

Image Image

 

Postby arodude » Mon May 06, 2019 8:14 pm

  arodude
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:42 am

I really dig the shading on the portrait from your last post. Do you ever work digitally or do you prefer to work traditionally?

 

Postby MartiMa » Wed May 08, 2019 9:29 pm

User avatar
  MartiMa
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 pm

arodude wrote:I really dig the shading on the portrait from your last post. Do you ever work digitally or do you prefer to work traditionally?

I did work digitally but i prefer to work traditionally. I like the feeling of the pencil on the paper and the fact that you have to be careful bcs you don't have ctrl+z

 

Postby MartiMa » Mon May 13, 2019 10:10 am

User avatar
  MartiMa
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Image Image

 

Postby MartiMa » Wed May 22, 2019 4:54 pm

User avatar
  MartiMa
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Image Image

 

Postby Polymath » Thu May 23, 2019 12:55 pm

User avatar
  Polymath
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:22 am

Are these the models that sat in front of you in your classes?
Its traditional, right? Why are there no construction or measurement-lines whatsoever? Do you put down everything like it has to be in the end right from the start? Thats cool.
Also you are pretty good at shading with pen (is it?), I think.

 

Postby MartiMa » Thu May 23, 2019 7:52 pm

User avatar
  MartiMa
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Polymath wrote:Are these the models that sat in front of you in your classes?
Its traditional, right? Why are there no construction or measurement-lines whatsoever? Do you put down everything like it has to be in the end right from the start? Thats cool.
Also you are pretty good at shading with pen (is it?), I think.


Yep, those are all life drawings I did in class.
There are costructions, but I do those very light, so they disappear once I do the shadings or simply erase them if they're still visible when I finish the drawings.
All the drawings are made with pencil (usually 3B) or charcoal pencil.

 

Postby MartiMa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 am

User avatar
  MartiMa
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Quick sketches 20' and 15'
Image


Return to Sketchbook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Reginapa and 5 guests