Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Kilhwch » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:09 am

Kilhwch

Subject title: Kilhwch's Sketchbook

At long last, I had some time to scan a bunch of images, so I thought I'd post a sketchbook. I've been reading the site for over a year; lurking. Only recently have been making comments, because so many people's sketchbooks are so inspiring and I really like the community here.

A bit of background about me: I have a film degree and my job is somewhat related to design and user interface/user experience (UI/UX). Not a lot of fine art, but I have enough down time at work to draw most days.

Story time: I drew a lot as a child, and I was known for it. People said I was good, but I got in trouble a bunch for drawing in class; had pictures torn up by teachers, etc. Then I transferred from public to private school (because: fighting) and the kids there said my drawings were crap compared to this other kid. He was beyond me in skill, so they were right. I kept trying to draw but was discouraged. Those kids would beat me up (private school doesn't stop fighting), but the other artist (he had the same name as me, ha...) he would just shrug his shoulders when they made fun of me. He wasn't too much of a jerk. One time he did a "paint-over" (it was chalk on the blackboard, but whatevs) of one of my skulls and showed me some ways to basically add expression to a skeleton which I thought was pretty cool.

Around this time I was getting more and more into video games and that was something I was really good at; I have a very good memory and even if I'd beaten a game years before someone could call me up and ask me for help when they were stuck and I could walk them through it over the phone. So I continued in that vein after that, and I never really drew consistently until quite recently. I'm trying to improve my skills and recently started taking a figure drawing class.

My art leans primarily toward portraits, figures, and character/creature design. I like storytelling, so anything that allows me to convey a story (movie-making, music, writing, art, comics) is of interest to me.

With that out of the way, I'm gonna start posting images. These are gonna be from oldest to more recent... some of the old stuff is ridiculously bad. Some NSFW. I'll probably spoiler a lot of the junk so people don't have to wade through all of it. I think I read somewhere there's a 20 image limit per post, so I'm gonna break them up like dat.

Enjoy?

Spoiler: show
Dat face, egads.
An attempt at Hulk and Tarzan.
No; Sonia is not da bomb. :(
The head on top was my attempt at drawing an 'interesting' face. The one on the right, fat-ish

Postby Kilhwch » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:29 am

Kilhwch

Round 2: Fight!

More fatty. And a wide-shouldered... woman?
Animal study.
Inspired by Meilin from the now-defunct Rusty Hearts. I liked how her mouth was not a complete line.
Tarzan "orthographic." In quotes because it sucks.
Series of story boards and lightning/camera set-ups for a short film I did.
Kiba and Hinata tied up. Attempt at foreshortening.
My poor attempt at drawing my DnD 4e Elven Warlord
Border element sketches for a menu UI.
Ideas for a vehicle based loosely on the original Blaster Master game for the NES.
Random DnD campaign notes.
Durrrr
3D model concepts for a dice box.

Postby Kilhwch » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:45 am

Kilhwch

Uf. Starting some NSFWs.

Sitting? I dunno.
More high-angle perspective/foreshortening attempts with Sakura.
I don't hate this face.
Aaaand....regression.
Bottom is character concept for a friend's game.
Overhead plot plan of a castle and tower.
Gun-toting cyborg gal.
Pleasant, floating Sasuke. Makes perfect sense.
Animal/Gravity study. #Sarcasm
'Nother image of the character for my friend's game. She's a secretary/ tutorial assistant.
Um, a Blacksmith? A Merchant?
This is my expression as I look at a lot of these.
Sketches for a 'Cuatro de Mayo' party invitation, complete with piñata and a pitchfork with 4 tines. I think I put too much thought into this, but it was for my birthday, so...
Moar secretary.
Sketch for a different friend's game. Actually used reference :P
Last edited by Kilhwch on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Kilhwch » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:53 am

Kilhwch

Round 4

Regression!
Character concept for a game where the scarf has powers like Spawn's cloak.
More regression back to sucktown.
Yay I found Peter Han. Don't worry, I won't upload all the circles and lines I draw while I'm at work. I swear, if anybody saw what I was doing, they'd think I was a crazy person.
Bowie hair.
Fill the page, bitch! Top left gal from reference; the rest not so much.
More menu stuff.

Postby Kilhwch » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:02 am

Kilhwch

Ok, the following are from sketchbook 2, which I started much more recently. For the most part I'll just throw these out there without spoilers, unless it's gesture drawing trash or blatant nudes. Some of the 30 second gestures are atrocious as I had nfc what I was doing and the images changed before I could make any good work.

Postby Kilhwch » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:09 am

Kilhwch

Slogging along... I think I was better with these gestures as I had more of an idea how much I could get down in the alotted time.

Some sketches of people while in the tea house:
Marker bled through from the other side.

Back to timed poses...
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-aldqGEGo3v0/VCkKFt2dmSI/AAAAAAAACOk/7w3gzJIr7ZM/w620-h876-no/IMG_0036.tif[img]

Doodles in coffee shop:

Postby Kilhwch » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:21 am

Kilhwch

Moving on...

Image Image
His nose is too far down, but I did like how the dog's eye turned out.

Studehs
Timer is too fast :(
I said "show me ladies feet!" and they were all, "Ballet slippers!"

Drew a stanchion and trash can while waiting at the airport. People kept walking up to me and screwing with the reflections. Little kid was on the plane, looking at me. Tried not to be creepy while drawing her. Gave up.

Drew my friend's kid. Not much better luck.

Waiting to board plane back home.

These were drawn in almost complete darkness in the plane:

Circles?

Went back and spent some time on a few of the eyes.

Postby Kilhwch » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:34 am

Kilhwch

These are from my figure drawing class. I've been to two. Yay for naked people.

My teacher is kinda weird and curmudgeonly. He showed up late to the first class, told us all there would be no model, and that he was busy curating an art show downstairs for some dude from Belguim. Then he said we were welcome to come down and drink some wine. Oh, and he took a phone call in the first five minutes cuz he had to help the Belgian guy out by "carrying some shit." Haha. I love you, professional community college teacher! We all grabbed the syllabus off the desk while he was downstairs, and when he came back up, he was like, "Do you need me to read this to you?" I was like, no; but some older lady wanted him to go over "the parts [he] thought we should know." So he basically read the materials list. Granted, I was the only person on day 1 who showed up with an art board and charcoal pencil. One kid rolled in wielding nothing but a blue ball point pen. NO PAPER. Maybe he kept some in his sweatpants; I dunno.

So yeah; we've had 4 classes (1 with no model, 1 where I was away in Montreal) - but I've only drawn in 2.

After the first class, my teacher told me I drew too small. So for the second model, I tried to fill more of the page.

Messed up and used newsprint on a long pose here:

So that's it for now. Yeesh. Going to bed. Probably gonna call out sick tomorrow; I'm coming down with a sore throat :(

Postby Malcom » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:02 pm

Malcom

proportions are something you need to work on. Im guilty of this as well but the more studies you do, the better you get. try just doing every piece on its own first so you have an better sense of how things look. Also add small parts of the rest of the body afterwards just to check things to see if they work.
Hope this little tip helps

Postby Kilhwch » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:09 am

Kilhwch

I try to block out the entire thing before going in and refining, yet still the heads turn out a bit too small. The horizontal reclining pose was pretty weird; foreshortening of the feet was a disaster, but it made her look like she was kinda popping out of a genie bottle.

Here is some digital stuff. Mostly I just bang away at something until I'm tired or it ceases to interest me. I usually start a new image after that.

doodles.

Some muddy colors to brighten your day.

Did face work, got bored.

Self-portrait from a mirror which was far away. And I need glasses.

Attempt at painting with no hard linework.

Ya, I dunno.

Thought it was a cool pose.

More stylized self-portrait. From a photo.

Attempting Kienan Lafferty's technique for painting faces/blending.

Postby Kilhwch » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:59 am

Kilhwch

Been sick. Antibiotics all used up, but still congested and sore throat-ed.

quick gestures:

20 mins:

1 hour-ish

random SB:

WIPS:

Postby Victor » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:11 am

Victor

looking good, keep it up

Postby Zearthus » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Zearthus

You know what you're doing, keep the mileage going :D :ugeek:
BEHANCE: https://www.behance.net/brian-hermelijn
SKETCHBOOK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8158&hilit=Zearthus&start=540

"I do not sugarcoat, rather I write my honest opinion"

Postby kikiko24 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:48 pm

kikiko24

Looking good, nice to see you getting lots of practice in! There was an ink piece you did on the side of one of you sketches that I thought was really interesting too!

Postby Kilhwch » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:20 am

Kilhwch

Thanks, all. I've been drawing nearly every day, but dragging out the scanner and photochopping the dumb big ones is a pain. I'll try to post more pics tomorrow.

Postby Kilhwch » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:36 am

Kilhwch

Apologies for the blurred text. While it is in code, it's an easy one to crack, and I am writing a script while doodling.

I liked the foreshortening and angle of the camera in this so I made a little sketch.

Failing at eyes.

Was drawing a gal as she was adjusting her hair. Also another girl came into the coffee shop with these amazing shoes. I don't know how women walk in these.

This was the back of some gal helping her boyfriend with homework or something.

Postby Kilhwch » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Kilhwch

Have had a new teacher in figure drawing for the past few weeks. An odd juxtaposition. She is free and hippy-like; goes on 'art retreats' in the woods to make art for weeks on end with no outside contact. And yet, she forces us to use certain mediums, draw a certain way... Like when trying to do gestures, she wants me to scribble around wildly "from the middle," and build the form. I try to do what she says, but she keeps saying I'm doing it wrong - it's like
http://youtu.be/ZiLs2kEZ8CA

Nothing I make in that class is worth keeping any more. I'm really only there for the model now, and the teacher has us doing ridiculous exercises that make all my proportions effed up. Sometimes she makes us do things without using the model; they're just sitting there bored on their phone with the robe on. What a waste. Anyway.

Some sketchy-stuff:

took an unflattering image of jlaw and softened it. I liked her expression; just not the picture.

random anime-style thing

Flying naked dude

Katttty Perrrry. Her eyes are inspiring to me, and I had fun with her hair.

Karen Gillan. the pic had these cool highlights in her eyes; prob gonna draw over in pshop.

Maaaaaaaaatt Daaaaaaaamonnnn... I liked his eyebrow. This is only like the second or third time I've tried to draw glasses on a face. I almost left them out, but felt I should at least try. Its an added 3d object (incl the face ofc), so it seemed important to give it a shot.

Return to Sketchbook