Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Poisonous Froad » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:31 am

Poisonous Froad

Subject title: Poisonous Froad's Sketchbook

Hi, I've only recently been trying to improve my artwork. Here's a bunch of stuff I drew in the past two months, from earliest to most recent (which is still in progress...)

two male face sketches

female face sketch, also an alien

using manikin thing

three characters, the last one I'm not so big on because of the depth, face, hand, and cloth, I plan to redraw it

most recent
Last edited by Poisonous Froad on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
✎ 26 years old, currently getting back into drawing and looking for critique and help to improve. Feel free to ask me for my Skype for drawing together!
Sketchbook ✍

Postby Wyntry » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:09 am

Wyntry

Quite a lot of improvement in 2 months. Very good. Also, It is always a good thing to experiment, make things different, make new things. I looked at one of them that had 4 eyes, thinking I crossed mine to see the two pairs. Lol.
Your last piece could use some edits in proportions and the shape of the hands. (You know that, though. lol.) Hands are a difficult process sometimes, but just something to practice more. Also, the shoulder on the right seems a little dislocated. My favorite is the girl in red. Its very well done as far of proportions, composition, placement, and anatomy.

So, let's add it up.
Weaknesses so far I have noticed.
-Values (I haven't seen much contrast in lights and darks)
-Patience (take more time on your work, I saw that most of the hands you did were well done, but the last one seemed to be done in a hurry. Its always good to go through a couple of clean up steps before you finish.)
-Fluidity (Too much Stiffness. Its good to capture the energy or motion of someone or something.)

Strengths: Proportions. (Everything seems about the right size)
Placement: (Its all in the right places.)

Further tips: Other than what I have mentioned, it would be cool to see what kind of expressions you could come up with, or poses in different angles. Do different things, the more you get out of your comfort zone, the more you're learning.

If you need any more tips or need me to elaborate, just let me know. I figured since you took art in college, most of this should be rather common, but all colleges aren't created equally, regardless that they all charge way too much. :mrgreen:
"Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing". -Yamaoka Tesshu
Sketchbook: http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9424
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/artofwyntry/

Postby Zimatrix » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:37 pm

Zimatrix

Really nice start to your sketchbook, I can't wait to see your further improvements. From what I can tell you're making good progress already which is nice. Personally I think your drawings look a little stiff and I think that's because of practising with the mannequin - A lot of artists buy those things to learn how to draw the human body in any pose but they simply don't move like real humans. Try looking up some photographic references online (or go to a life drawing class if you can) and do some gesture drawings to really understand how to make your characters feel alive.

Postby masaothedog » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:42 pm

masaothedog

I can't wait to see more! You've got a strong start!

Postby fleur » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:00 pm

fleur

http://i.imgur.com/Oem6ts3.png
Was this with reference?
If so, take a look at the character's right arm, it looks as if it's bent way too much towards the right!
Great start to your sketchbook, keep up the good work!
21-F-England

Postby Poisonous Froad » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:32 am

Poisonous Froad

@Wyntry: Thanks so much! Yeah, the last one is kind awkward with the arms and hands. I'll post the reference image (censored because it's a nude) in a minute. I do take quite a long time on all of these (well over 2 hours for the later things, not nearly as long for the face sketches and manikin) - but the latest one of the girl in the brown suit thing is driving me up a wall. I do need more patience in general though! Also, yeah, I agree about the values and stiffness. I still "see" things as stiff and static as I did when I was a teenager and drew Fire Emblem fan art all the time. Therefore, I unfortunately need a reference all the time at the moment. Someday I hope I can just draw the human form without pictures to help me.

Could you elaborate or more tips if it's not too much to ask, please?

@Zimatrix: Gesture drawings are going to be a priority of mine so things aren't so static. Thanks!

@masaothedog: Thank you!

@fleur: As mentioned to Wyntry, yep, it's a reference. Her right arm is indeed giving me trouble [same with the hand]. Thanks for you too!!
Here's the reference.

Also, here's what I'm currently drawing. I wanna try different body types.

EDIT:
✎ 26 years old, currently getting back into drawing and looking for critique and help to improve. Feel free to ask me for my Skype for drawing together!
Sketchbook ✍

Postby Poisonous Froad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Poisonous Froad

fresh off my hard drive!
Sketchbook ✍

Postby explosivedesign » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:58 pm

explosivedesign

Good good, I'm seeing improvments in your last posts, your starting to understand the figure more. If you mainly want to draw characters and people you should (through my experience) study the figure, then proportions and then anatomy, after that you can study gesture and give more life to your drawing which I finally managed to do, but try to avoid doing two or more things at a time as it will mess your progress up, and of course theres no right answer on what to study first but this is just some advice coming from my experiences studying, so at the end its up to you which areas you study and draw. Either way keep it up and you'll improve :).
Im Alex, a Digital Artist Wanna'be

Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11305

Postby Poisonous Froad » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:08 am

Poisonous Froad

explosivedesign wrote:Good good, I'm seeing improvments in your last posts, your starting to understand the figure more. If you mainly want to draw characters and people you should (through my experience) study the figure, then proportions and then anatomy, after that you can study gesture and give more life to your drawing which I finally managed to do, but try to avoid doing two or more things at a time as it will mess your progress up, and of course theres no right answer on what to study first but this is just some advice coming from my experiences studying, so at the end its up to you which areas you study and draw. Either way keep it up and you'll improve :).

Thanks! I want to focus mostly on people for now but in the future I want to get back to drawing animals and stuff. I've also gotta study for cloth works, I figured. I'm having quite the trouble drawing clothes that are on people that aren't long and thin like Pearl [the slender girl with white skin in my first post.] Especially shirts! Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself though. I've got books on the human figure, I guess I should draw on paper and study how humans work.
Sketchbook ✍

Postby Poisonous Froad » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:55 am

Poisonous Froad

I decided to go with figure drawing for a while instead of diving into characters as I originally did. It might be tough to fix up my foundations, but I'll do my best!

I think maybe I should have used a picture with more lighting? But here is a badly "censored" nude model next to a figure drawing I did.

If you want to see the version that doesn't have the poorly-drawn-on bikini, click here. I realize the figure I drew is much more angled and isn't as natural as the woman's pose. So then, I did this:

question:
I'm going to read some art books and then practice with my tablet tomorrow. It's a little weird not drawing directly ON the "paper" as I do not have one of those screen tablets that are a lot of money, but practicing still helps. Should I use pencil/charcoal on paper instead? Here's what my desk looks like.
Sketchbook ✍

Postby explosivedesign » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:37 pm

explosivedesign

Yeah that's it, if you like doing studies like that then that's fine but I would say get a lot of "Variety" of poses and gestures, this way you'll always be drawing something unique and different, which lets you draw more of the body in action. The study you've posted is looking fine, another thing i did when i was doing my figure studies is if I liked the pose and my drawing of it ill carry on neatening it up and adding more detail, I think this is a good idea to do here and there. Keep it up though :)

Postby Poisonous Froad » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:48 am

Poisonous Froad

explosivedesign wrote:Yeah that's it, if you like doing studies like that then that's fine but I would say get a lot of "Variety" of poses and gestures, this way you'll always be drawing something unique and different, which lets you draw more of the body in action. The study you've posted is looking fine, another thing i did when i was doing my figure studies is if I liked the pose and my drawing of it ill carry on neatening it up and adding more detail, I think this is a good idea to do here and there. Keep it up though :)

Thank you! Earlier today and by earlier today I mean 3 AM, I sketched the first random nude model I landed on when scrolling through pictures. I got a pregnant woman. I never drew one of those before.

Again, I censored it. Nothing vulgar at all about the nude body but there are minors on this site. Anyway, I drew in with teal a few corrections on some mistakes I and a few friends found. They don't do art but anyone can tell when some anatomy is off even if they can only draw like a circle.

I'll start the male form soon.
Sketchbook ✍

Postby camille » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:01 am

camille

ey Froad, I like the costume design on this http://i.imgur.com/f0HrhzX.png reminds me of an old cartoon I used to watch growing up :)

i think you're doing well on your figure drawings. Sycra recently put up a video on figure drawings so it's perfect timing i'd say. the green lady's left leg could be foreshortened (is that a word?) more. and i'd agree with you on lengthening the torso on the pregnant pink lady. it's good that you can spot what needs to be corrected. keep posting! :D
---

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Mr. Disney

Sketchbook : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11485

Postby Poisonous Froad » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:49 am

Poisonous Froad

camille wrote:ey Froad, I like the costume design on this http://i.imgur.com/f0HrhzX.png reminds me of an old cartoon I used to watch growing up :)

i think you're doing well on your figure drawings. Sycra recently put up a video on figure drawings so it's perfect timing i'd say. the green lady's left leg could be foreshortened (is that a word?) more. and i'd agree with you on lengthening the torso on the pregnant pink lady. it's good that you can spot what needs to be corrected. keep posting! :D

I'll watch that video in the morning as I draw more figures, thanks!

That character there is from a Cartoon Network show called Steven Universe. I like the color palettes and designs in it, so I drew some fan art of three of the main character.

Yeah, I need to practice foreshortening. I've learned about that coil technique video which is how I found this place. Thanks again for pointing it out!

Here's two more.

Sketchbook ✍

Postby IZRA » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:14 am

IZRA

hey that's a good improvement for 2 months. i can specially tell on the line quality which is getting more crisp and clean

Postby Poisonous Froad » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:22 pm

Poisonous Froad

IZRA wrote:hey that's a good improvement for 2 months. i can specially tell on the line quality which is getting more crisp and clean

Thanks! In the original pictures of the drawings of the bald guy and the goat-eye guy, I went with a "watery" brush in Paint Tool SAI since I kind of like it for quick doodles. I'm going to try to make my lines with "ink" clearer as time goes on.

Did these two in about 15 minutes in the early AM.
Sketchbook ✍

Postby explosivedesign » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:14 pm

explosivedesign

just quickly did this to give you some pointers, these are the techniques I use personally, I'm sorry if you already use them but make sure you do use them because they really help with figure drawings :)
hrxSLb2.png

Postby Poisonous Froad » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:07 pm

Poisonous Froad

explosivedesign wrote:just quickly did this to give you some pointers, these are the techniques I use personally, I'm sorry if you already use them but make sure you do use them because they really help with figure drawings :)

I'll have to try more of the lines thing. You saw me draw these three earlier. Men are super hard to draw. I think maybe I should draw on paper again? I don't know if I'm improving or not from my first figure drawing...

Sketchbook ✍

Postby explosivedesign » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:30 pm

explosivedesign

Yeah well I think your getting the jist of figure drawing but the biggest problem would be proportions which I said before but proportions for me came through just drawing the figure and doing a few studies solely on proportions, so just keep doing these and I'll upload mine soon so you can see how ive done mine. You/we could focus on doing proportions studies here and there if you like.

Postby Poisonous Froad » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:20 am

Poisonous Froad

explosivedesign wrote:Yeah well I think your getting the jist of figure drawing but the biggest problem would be proportions which I said before but proportions for me came through just drawing the figure and doing a few studies solely on proportions, so just keep doing these and I'll upload mine soon so you can see how ive done mine. You/we could focus on doing proportions studies here and there if you like.

Proportions and making things "flow" (I still am trying to fix stiffness) would help a lot! I can see when I am free Monday. In the meantime I'll draw more.
Sketchbook ✍

Postby explosivedesign » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:40 am

explosivedesign

Also in the meantime watch theses if you haven't already because they really helped me learn proportions and such:
How to Draw the Proportions of the Adult Female: http://youtu.be/eiKcI49l5uc
How to Draw Twisting Forms: http://youtu.be/srK-vV-YzUc
How to Draw Poses with Purpose!: http://youtu.be/qdfN_9sjDHQ
How to Draw the Proportions of the Adult Male: http://youtu.be/K4nTEgET9DA
A Guide to Gesture Drawing: http://youtu.be/xmiwGm32dXU
Basic Figure Drawing Demo ( contains nudity ): http://youtu.be/XrHsumJ2HBg

Postby Poisonous Froad » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:47 am

Poisonous Froad

explosivedesign wrote:Also in the meantime watch theses if you haven't already because they really helped me learn proportions and such:
How to Draw the Proportions of the Adult Female: http://youtu.be/eiKcI49l5uc
How to Draw Twisting Forms: http://youtu.be/srK-vV-YzUc
How to Draw Poses with Purpose!: http://youtu.be/qdfN_9sjDHQ
How to Draw the Proportions of the Adult Male: http://youtu.be/K4nTEgET9DA
A Guide to Gesture Drawing: http://youtu.be/xmiwGm32dXU
Basic Figure Drawing Demo ( contains nudity ): http://youtu.be/XrHsumJ2HBg

I'll watch those as well. I'll keep my pencils and paper ready when I do! I'll probably start tomorrow since I'm keeping watch of the cat.

I seem to do better with people learning front. But I am trying to delve out of my comfort zone. I still have this lingering feeling that the first figure drawing I posted here (the lime green outlined lady kneeling down) is the best one so far and I am not getting better. I get distraught too much!
Sketchbook ✍

Postby explosivedesign » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:07 am

explosivedesign

Your using more circular shapes in that one, that's why you might think you didn't do good in it, but that's because your us-to doing more blockier shapes and i think that's why your figures looked stiff and made it hard for you to draw in the proportions. so I think you should carry on with using more circular shapes and curves, that's what i use when i draw mine, ill demonstrate how i draw with them next time :)

Postby Poisonous Froad » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:44 pm

Poisonous Froad

explosivedesign wrote:Your using more circular shapes in that one, that's why you might think you didn't do good in it, but that's because your us-to doing more blockier shapes and i think that's why your figures looked stiff and made it hard for you to draw in the proportions. so I think you should carry on with using more circular shapes and curves, that's what i use when i draw mine, ill demonstrate how i draw with them next time :)

I did another version of it even though I said I should keep going after noting my mistakes.

Here's some I just did when I woke up.

I'm going to move my keyboard and try sketching along with the videos soon.

Editing post to add one I did while watching some of Sycra's tutorials. Specifically this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrHsumJ2HBg (nudity in video)
Sketchbook ✍

Postby welume » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:34 pm

welume

Nice poses :)

Next

Return to Sketchbook