Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Josephcow » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Josephcow

Subject title: Joseph's Sketchbook (nsfw)

opaque painting practice.

I've been feeling kind of down about things lately. I've been practicing a lot, and have kind of improved lately. But all my paintings are just kind of messy. My painting professor told me there is nothing more he can teach me which makes me angry and depressed about the state of art education. I'd like my money back, please.
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
FullSizeRender-7.jpg
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Postby kaloyan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:26 pm

kaloyan

youve been improving quite alot lately your studies are looking good keep it up!

Postby Josephcow » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:57 am

Josephcow

A new portrait from life!
FullSizeRender.jpg

Postby ehlihr » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:38 am

ehlihr

ohhhh your work is so lovely (you definitely practice what you preach aha) and ive been going through several pages!!! i especially love your less "blended" work?? its so good!! genuinely no words
18 year old mostly self taught loser. sheridan illustration 2023

Sketchbook
Website
Instagram

Postby geryes » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:33 am

geryes

Just curious how many hours on average do you spend practicing? I definitely shows that you put in a lot of work.
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby perkexpert » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:09 pm

perkexpert

Seriously...Joseph...Kudos for diving into this oil stuff...really getting the hang of form and lighting....all this hard work will pay off! I really enjoy your traditional media stuff...
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby lgraniteArt » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:32 pm

lgraniteArt

Looks like you're grinding hard at it man. Awesome stuff, makes me want to get back to traditional media.

Postby Josephcow » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:32 am

Josephcow

Elihaha wrote:ohhhh your work is so lovely (you definitely practice what you preach aha) and ive been going through several pages!!! i especially love your less "blended" work?? its so good!! genuinely no words

Thanks so much!

geryes wrote:Just curious how many hours on average do you spend practicing? I definitely shows that you put in a lot of work.

I do at least something every day. I can only so many hours of serious work before using up my 'artistic energy'. So it's really not a lot of grinding. A big part of improvement for me has been reading books, watching lessons online, looking through forums like this et cetera.

perkexpert wrote:Seriously...Joseph...Kudos for diving into this oil stuff...really getting the hang of form and lighting....all this hard work will pay off! I really enjoy your traditional media stuff...

Thanks for stopping by, perk! I hope it will pay off! I've learned a lot already, but I know I have a lot more to learn before reaching a professional level.

Thanks to all for the nice comments. I've just recently done a few more paintings which I'll post soon!

Postby Steeliebob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Steeliebob

haha, damn I can agree to perk here. very impressive paintwork, keep pushing! :)

Postby Fiphee » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:16 pm

Fiphee

Casually scrolling by, then this fuckin' thing stares at me like ayy

The skull and the hand one under it look really nice, brushstrokes, textures, and how the details 'fade' in the shadow of the skull..very juicy

Postby Josephcow » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Josephcow

Fiphee wrote:Casually scrolling by, then this fuckin' thing stares at me like ayy

The skull and the hand one under it look really nice, brushstrokes, textures, and how the details 'fade' in the shadow of the skull..very juicy

That painting is somewhat of a meme between some of my friends. It's just kind of wtf. Thanks for stopping by! :D

Postby ehlihr » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:12 am

ehlihr

this is terrifying. well made, but terrifying.
18 year old mostly self taught loser. sheridan illustration 2023

Sketchbook
Website
Instagram

Postby Josephcow » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:49 am

Josephcow

Moar stuff!
Last one was from life. He only sat for 2.5 hours so it's pretty simple. Was going for a Manet like look. Still want to work a bit more on it.
IMG_4129.JPG
IMG_4128.JPG
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:17 am

Josephcow

Another year come and gone! Decided to paint over my own work for once. I have a lot to learn, and I think about just giving up all the time. But somehow I never actually do :)
All the same I've learned a lot recently and I wonder where I'll be in another year.
malehead4.jpg
malehead5.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:25 am

Josephcow

I'm actually surprised at the amount I have to post. I didn't feel like I was really doing much over break.
Also I'm bringin back these digital color portrait studies that I used to do!
young_man_reading.JPG
baglight.jpg
bottle5.png
Torso.jpg
selfportrait4.jpg

Postby Nymzo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:45 am

Nymzo

Not that good at painting myself, but the values are looking good. Keep it up my friend!

Postby Josephcow » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:28 am

Josephcow

cupball
cupball.jpg

Postby Steeliebob » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:12 am

Steeliebob

haha Joseph, catching yourself doing to more than expected isn't quite to bad of a sign. =P
Seeing you get better with your tight analytical approach over time is pretty great to see. ^^

Postby Josephcow » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:36 pm

Josephcow

Thanks Steelie! You gotta tighten up to loosen up! That's what... someone said!

Speaking of which I've done some tighter sketches of a jug, me and my crazy hair, and a bust. I think I'm almost ready to try a more full academic drawing. I've been trying to be a lot more constructive in my drawings as well.
IMG_4243.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_4253.JPG
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Postby SeaQuenchal » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:54 am

SeaQuenchal

Hi Joseph, really nice artwork here. That live model nude painting is very impressive! Your portraits and still lifes are really inspiring as I’ve been wanting to get back into oil painting lately too, outdoors as I said in the Art Questions and Discussion thread, but also some still lifes and portrait work in the studio. It’s encouraging to look through your sketchbook and see all these great posts. It’s getting my wheels turning for doing some painting from life here. Is that jug sketch done in oil? It came out great. So did the lamp on the desk.

As I was looking through your sketchbook I stopped at the picture of the self-portraits you did in your painting classroom back on page six. It’s funny, at the art studio where I went to school we had the same exact kind of floor, ceiling, easels, and even the same support boards stained with taped-off paint splatter as you guys. I guess that stuff is a bit more universal in the art education system than I assumed lol.

Anyway just wanted to stop and congratulate you on your work and encourage you to keep posting. Hope to see more oil sketches coming, they’re really cool!
"Every artist was first an amateur." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone." -Lucretius

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter!!!

Postby fi_le » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:38 pm

fi_le

Hi Joseph!

OK, this is actually all just a rephrasing of "I second SeaQuencal" in the worst case, but I will not be able to bring myself to not compliment you.

What I'd like to accentuate is how cool I find that (neo)acedemic vibe your work has, not only the studies. The traditional media and the associated colour palette is a blast to look at, thanks a lot for posting. It makes me want to try this kind of painting; everytime I do gouache I'm basically just using it like watercolour, oil is a whole different specimen (,right?)

But back to the style thing I talked about earlier:
Sure, anti-constructualism is fun and all; it works out perfectly for many artists. What you're bringing to the table though is very refreshing in that regard!
I like this strong sense of plasticity of the entirity of your art, it really ties it all together in here. Please keep on it and know that I'm a fan :)
Good luck and have a nice day!
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Josephcow » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Josephcow

SeaQuenchal wrote:
As I was looking through your sketchbook I stopped at the picture of the self-portraits you did in your painting classroom back on page six. It’s funny, at the art studio where I went to school we had the same exact kind of floor, ceiling, easels, and even the same support boards stained with taped-off paint splatter as you guys. I guess that stuff is a bit more universal in the art education system than I assumed lol.

Anyway just wanted to stop and congratulate you on your work and encourage you to keep posting. Hope to see more oil sketches coming, they’re really cool!

fi_le wrote:
But back to the style thing I talked about earlier:
Sure, anti-constructualism is fun and all; it works out perfectly for many artists. What you're bringing to the table though is very refreshing in that regard!
I like this strong sense of plasticity of the entirity of your art, it really ties it all together in here. Please keep on it and know that I'm a fan :)
Good luck and have a nice day!

Thanks so much for the comments you guys! It's very encouraging.

SeaQuenchal: Did we go to the same school? :shock: Probably not, but if our schools were built at similar times I bet that explains a lot.

fi_le: Thank you! Style wise my art has taken an academic direction, but I see it as something we need. Paintings of 'vases and faces' have been done before, but are such a rarity in contemporary schools that there's something exciting about it again! That's my take on it. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by anti-constructualism.

Postby Josephcow » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Josephcow

I've been doing a lot of drawing from the live model. I've gotten a lot more comfortable with it.
FullSizeRender-6 copy 2.jpg
IMG_4342.JPG
FullSizeRender-4-1.jpg
FullSizeRender-5 copy.jpg
IMG_4371.JPG
IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4372.png

Postby Josephcow » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:03 pm

Josephcow

I refined my painting inspired by Manet a bit and submitted it to a local show. Hope that goes well!
I haven't been doing a lot of painting lately but in my sketches I have made something of a discovery. All surfaces are reflective of the environment in kind of the same way metal is! All the surfaces of reflect a different part of the room.
FullSizeRender copy 2.jpg
FullSizeRender-2-1.jpg
FullSizeRender-3-1.jpg
FullSizeRender-7 copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 1.50.01 PM.png

Postby Josephcow » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:32 am

Josephcow

I'm not above painting a cat or two.
FullSizeRender-11.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook