Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Josephcow » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:05 pm

Josephcow

Subject title: Joseph's Sketchbook (nsfw)

Thanks ambi, that does help. I definitely do think of a separate shadow and light side for everything, even in my head. But then when the transition between them is soft I sometimes don't really know how to treat it. That's probably why my shadows end up super light. It's really only when painting faces and skin that I make this mistake too! I'm stuck between desperately wanting to separate the shadow side, and wanting the form to be rounded and soft. Especially because when I try to logic through it, if there is a plane in between the shadow and light side, shouldn't it be a value in the middle of the two?

I do feel like I'm making progress though! Here's a partially painted head from my imagination which has probably the most convincing build-up of form so far. and I haven't added any specular highlight yet. I still has issues with symmetry and feature placement though.
malehead2.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:06 pm

Josephcow

update. I decided to apply a little bit of reference because I was starting to get confused. I guess this is better? I kind of prefer where the original painting was going.
malehead3.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:44 pm

Ambiguity

Josephcow wrote:...when the transition between them is soft I sometimes don't really know how to treat it. That's probably why my shadows end up super light. It's really only when painting faces and skin that I make this mistake too! I'm stuck between desperately wanting to separate the shadow side, and wanting the form to be rounded and soft. Especially because when I try to logic through it, if there is a plane in between the shadow and light side, shouldn't it be a value in the middle of the two?

This is kind of hard to explain with just words, so I'll just give you an excerpt from a tutorial I bought from Camila Veilmond on Gumroad:
Spoiler: show

Basically, the majority of the darkening is going to happen right at the edge of the surface where the light is starting to slip past the object because the light is touching everything else like I said earlier. Even just thinking about word edge, whether it's a soft or hard edge makes no difference, you still have to maintain the integrity enough that it's readable. The mid-tone in the light family we were talking about is pretty much always used with a "lost edge" because your mid-tone to center light tone is so near in value that you can't tell where the edges are. From mid-tone to shadow tone(even one with a soft edge) should be easily distinguishable at all time though.

I made this other crappy example, probably better off just looking at atelier dudes drawing on youtube, but just trying to get the point across that soft edge doesn't necessarily mean big gradation:
Spoiler: show

Postby Josephcow » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:00 am

Josephcow

Oh wow that makes sense. I'm glad I know that now thank you!

Well actually I guess I don't know why 135 degrees doesn't receive 50% of the light, because I thought it did. But oh well i'll take your word for it. I think I will check out Camila's tutorials

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:29 am

Ambiguity

Yeah she said that it has something to do with "Lambert's Cosine Law" which I looked it up once and it was well above my pay grade lol. All I know is that the way light works and the way our eyes make sense of the light is different, much like the perspective effects our eyes have on objects as they move further into the distance. It was really the frontal light note she added that helped make it ok in my head :P.

Postby Josephcow » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:49 am

Josephcow

I've had another go at this study. any remarks?

Yeah I am a very analytical person, I need everything to make sense. But sometimes you just gotta take stuff for granted before you end up doing... math. *shudders* :lol:

The sphere thing sort of makes sense. But I wouldn't have ever though of it that way. But now that it has been pointed out It seems very obvious.
malehead4.jpg

Postby Ragamuffin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:35 am

Ragamuffin

Oh no, not math! :D

I think that last one is looking very good, very crisp and clear!

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:16 pm

Ambiguity

I think that's better, although I'd add some occlusion shadow as that cast shadow gets further and further under the jaw.

Postby Josephcow » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:20 am

Josephcow

Here are both my male and female heads repainted using the advice I've gotten, and some more study of the planes of the head. I think I'm not the best painter, but I've learned a lot in just a few days and I am feeling a lot better about my abilities.
malehead2.jpg
femalehead5.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:21 am

Josephcow

figurestudylamp.jpg
Last edited by Josephcow on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Josephcow » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:03 am

Josephcow

Now I think we're getting somewhere
femalehead2.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:09 am

Josephcow

I keep painting over the same head because I keep figuring out things I'm doing wrong.
femalehead.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:57 am

Josephcow

oil Sketch on a red ground. I am proud of myself for preserving the integrity of my brushstrokes. Also some interesting color things going on here. I used black and white mixed together as a blue instead of ultramarine and I think it's pretty effective.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:14 am

Josephcow

sketch. Probably the first girl I've drawn from imagination that actually looks like a woman. I feel like I have also improved quite a bit at lighting and rotation. Some lighting mistakes I made at first, like placing the entire left side of the face in shadow, but I was able to see that this was wrong since i was thinking three dimensionally. I know I still have problems though.
girlhead.jpg

Postby ephelce » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:18 am

ephelce

That skull looks cool, I very much like the colours. Your stuff overall is really solid, and your understanding of facial planes is impressive .

Postby Josephcow » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Josephcow

@ephelcie thanks man!

This study didn't go as well as I hoped. The colors overall are kind of close but the fabric is pretty off and the jar got messy. I might try it again. What's frustrating is my painting teacher can point out what's wrong and yet tells me to study something else. If he knows how to help me why doesn't he? I think that's my biggest problem with art education right now. low standards, low criticism.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:18 am

Josephcow

I think this is my first 3/4 length portrait. It's much more difficult a composition than I was previously at, but I think it's going well. It's in black and white to show the value comp and the colors are only half in. It's very difficult to paint hands when you use your hands to paint.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Josephcow

Was a struggle to do this but I'm making progress
IMG_3385.jpg

Postby Fantelle » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:50 pm

Fantelle

Woah, that's a lovely painting! I really like the hands.

Postby Josephcow » Tue May 09, 2017 5:59 am

Josephcow

Thanks Fantelle.

Charcoal drawing from life with some corrections in digital because I'm not great at controlling charcoal.
tree.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:22 am

Josephcow

I did a study where I counted my brushstrokes in order to train myself to be more intentional with what I'm doing, and paint things more efficiently because at the end of the day that's the style that I love. The limit for this was 200 brushstrokes, so there are plenty of mistakes I would fix, especially that area near the mouth, and the eyes. but I said 200 so I did my best with 200. I did waste some strokes, probably at least 10 were flat out wasted, but otherwise I feel good about it.
IMG_3493.JPG

Postby z4m97 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:45 am

z4m97

man, that's a cool exercise! :D

id recommen d seeing wilmer's work, his brushwork is awesome! :D

Postby Josephcow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Josephcow

I haven't posted in a while, though I have been drawing. I was previously working on rendering, but now I am going back to my core drawing skills which I found inadequate. Being able to draw what you see and good proportions are much more important than painting skills, even though I hope to be a painter.

I have improved a little bit recently, to the point where I feel confident enough to ask friends and family to let me draw them without the fear of making an outright mess of their facial features. So hopefully there will be more portrait sketches to come!
IMG_3501.JPG
This is a statue. Which is why his eyes look like 2D from Gorillaz.
IMG_3505.JPG

Postby perkexpert » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:33 pm

perkexpert

Very nice drawings, like the last girl a lot...and also very nice progress with your traditional media...they are hard, trying it myself! Keep on the fight!
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Josephcow » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:04 am

Josephcow

Thanks Perk!
I have been drawing for years and I feel like I am just now figuring out how to use a pencil, the simplest drawing tool of all.

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook