Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Nix » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Nix

Subject title: Nix's Sketchbook (30-day portrait challenge!)

Hi everyone! My name is Sarah and I've been wanting to join this forum for quite awhile now, but never got round to it. Now that Iv'e been studying and drawing a lot during the summer I feel now's a great time to join the community. All of these drawings are from around mid May till now. I'm currently studying a game art and design course at university, and I'v realised I'm super behind in my stuff, so this summer I've been trying to level up my work. Any feedback and critiques paint overs etc are always welcome.

(This is roughly posted in order from oldest till newest:)

These are at the beginning of summer before I gave myself anything specific to study
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

And this was my June project Where I made character busts (along with sprites and other assets) for a personal RPG game, that myself and my sister were going to enter into a contest. We didn't get the game finished in the end.

After this I started a 30 day project, where I would draw at least one portrait a day,as I really wanted to get better at drawing realistic faces. I've also added a life drawing session a week to the study project as well since I need to work on anatomy. I'm around half way through at the moment, the month being over on the 16th August.

Portraits:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

And some value to colour studies:

Life drawing:

I've kind of just put everything here XD so apologises for the badly formatted first post, I'll definitely work on things like image sizes for the next ones!
Last edited by Nix on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Nix » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Nix

Portrait studies for today.

Postby Nix » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:51 pm

Nix

Yesterday and today's portraits. Kind of got bored of drawing from reference so I tried drawing a few from imagination. which is something I really need to work on.
ImageImage

Postby Wolfen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:25 am

Wolfen

Hey nix :) your work is fairly good but make sure that you aren't over working simple sketches :D
20 y.o. artist, student
Deviantart :)! http://misterwolfen.deviantart.com/
Sketchbook ^_^ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9244

Postby Nix » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:28 am

Nix

Wolfen wrote:Hey nix :) your work is fairly good but make sure that you aren't over working simple sketches :D

Thank you =). Though I'm not quite sure what you mean by overworking, could you maybe give an example for me?

Postby fey » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:55 am

fey

Hey and welcome :)

I got advice for you that actually helped me alot recently, it's small but powerful at least in my case

when you get shape of a head then the 1st thing that you should draw are ears (even hidden)

Cheers~!:)
deviantART
tumblr
artstation
process of my paintings:
gumroad or YT

Postby Nix » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:56 pm

Nix

More portraits

fey wrote:Hey and welcome :)

I got advice for you that actually helped me alot recently, it's small but powerful at least in my case

when you get shape of a head then the 1st thing that you should draw are ears (even hidden)

Cheers~!:)

Looking back I do see that a lot of my ears are pretty janked up lol, but why draw the ears first?

Postby Nix » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:10 pm

Nix

Yesterdays study only did the one since I wasn't really feeling it that day, it kinda shows as the face looks a little dead XD

And some for today:

Postby Nix » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:41 pm

Nix

Today's study evolved quite a bit, for some reason my original reference reminded me of Pippi Long-stocking and the cartoon I used to watch when I was little. So I went with it and here's some WIP fan art!

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:04 pm

ErnieTheMighty

AHH SO ADORBS <33333

Postby Fedodika » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:31 pm

Fedodika

I LOVE YOUR PROFILE PIC :D

Postby Happyangryman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:04 pm

Happyangryman

If you wanna get better at drawing more accuratly I highly recommend you pick up "Drawing on the right side of the brain". It helped me a whole lot.
Feel free to add me on skype if you wanna talk art or just share some tips and tricks. Skype username is same as here
Sketchbook viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9373

Postby Roger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:16 am

Roger

I really like your figure drawings! Shows a lot of emotions in them!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby majortomsays » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:30 am

majortomsays

Ahh~ Your sketchbook is going well ^^

Can't wait to see the finished version of the pipi longstocking~
Look'a thur a sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10681#p58265

Postby antenn0 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:12 am

antenn0

You're slowly but surely absorbing information from your refs, that's good. You make subtle gradients and put highlights sparingly which is pretty intermediate skill level :o

The ears tip I mostly agree and it is because it helps you balance the face, so that is doesn't look squished, it also makes a clear division of the face since the eyes are usually located at the upper connecting point of the ear. It's also easy to see when you make the shape of a head and attach the ears if the placement of the ears look off.
Hello, I'm antenn0.
My Sketchbook

Postby Nix » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Nix

Roger wrote:I really like your figure drawings! Shows a lot of emotions in them!

ErnieTheMighty wrote:AHH SO ADORBS <33333

Thank you =D
Fedodika wrote:I LOVE YOUR PROFILE PIC :D

I love it too, it's from here if you're interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwb2y51L4oE

Happyangryman wrote:If you wanna get better at drawing more accuratly I highly recommend you pick up "Drawing on the right side of the brain". It helped me a whole lot.

Thank you for the tip, I'll look into the book.

antenn0 wrote:You're slowly but surely absorbing information from your refs, that's good. You make subtle gradients and put highlights sparingly which is pretty intermediate skill level :o

The ears tip I mostly agree and it is because it helps you balance the face, so that is doesn't look squished, it also makes a clear division of the face since the eyes are usually located at the upper connecting point of the ear. It's also easy to see when you make the shape of a head and attach the ears if the placement of the ears look off.

Thanks you =). And thanks for explaining the ear thing further, Iv'e been trying to pay more attention to the ears the past couple of days, but I have a way to go in terms of placement.
Past few days of studies

Postby PostBoxRomance » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:55 pm

PostBoxRomance

Hi!

You're beginning to improve I see! Nice work!

Can I give you a tip? I've noticed on some of your faces that the construction lines are straight; this is making your faces seem a little distorted. Try curving your construction lines to follow the flow of the face, it'll add a lot more realism and stop the distortion. I've included an example below for you in a spoiler tag. Good luck with the rest of your challenge!

perspective tip.jpg
My sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2033&start=0

25 years old, artist, web designer and pretending to know what I'm doing.

Postby Nix » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Nix

Image Yesterdays study, which I didn't get round to finishing fully. But actually yesterday was the last day of my portrait challenge! though I'll still be working on portraits, as I'm no where near where I want to be with them (though I have improved quite a lot this past month which is awesome :) ) it's no longer a priority with my studies.

PostBoxRomance wrote:Hi!

You're beginning to improve I see! Nice work!

Can I give you a tip? I've noticed on some of your faces that the construction lines are straight; this is making your faces seem a little distorted. Try curving your construction lines to follow the flow of the face, it'll add a lot more realism and stop the distortion. I've included an example below for you in a spoiler tag. Good luck with the rest of your challenge!

perspective tip.jpg

Wow I never actually noticed that I was doing that. I just set down straight guides out of habit, thank you for pointing it out, and for the extra example =).

Postby sgtmikey101 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:53 pm

sgtmikey101

Your getting really good! Nice job

Postby Nix » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Nix

@ sgtmikey101: Thank you =D

Finished Pippi, realised I really need to get into studying hands, I knew I was bad at them but Jeez, these took forever

Postby Zearthus » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:57 am

Zearthus

Coming along nicely Nix, Keep at it!

Hope to see you in the potrait challenge of this week ( I didn't participate in the last one :lol: ) Will get it going for sure!

Once again keep at it :)
BEHANCE: https://www.behance.net/brian-hermelijn
SKETCHBOOK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8158&hilit=Zearthus&start=540

"I do not sugarcoat, rather I write my honest opinion"

Postby Nix » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:36 am

Nix

brianhermelijn wrote:Coming along nicely Nix, Keep at it!

Hope to see you in the potrait challenge of this week ( I didn't participate in the last one :lol: ) Will get it going for sure!

Once again keep at it :)

Thank you, and definitely going to give it a shot. I had a bit of a fail with last weeks, got frustrated and turned the portrait into the lion lady XD Better luck this week :D

Postby vaed » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:41 pm

vaed

Ooooh, nice sketchbook. I can tell you are working hard. ^^

Postby Nix » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:46 am

Nix

vaed wrote:Ooooh, nice sketchbook. I can tell you are working hard. ^^

Thank you! :D

Bit of life drawing, and some portrait attempts for the 11th portrait challenge,

Postby Roger » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Roger

Very nice figure studies! Nice effort of the portraits.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Next

Return to Sketchbook