Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:26 pm

Zjacklee

Subject title: Rogers Sketchbook

alnoth wrote:i disagree. there is NO line, not even the thickness of the lid. theres the eye-lash line, and then nothing all the way up to the brow.

here is a pic of a real eye. take a look above the eyelash. If words can't convince you, maybe a picture will. ;)

Edit: Upon further research i see that this line is also the same line as the other pic below this post. There is a point in which if you close your eye with slightly more force(not sure how to explain that) that the skin makes those wrinkles. Best thing I can tell you now is to check it out in a mirror. close your eye softly, and then try to close it as hard as possible. you will see all the changes.

Spoiler: show
Last edited by Zjacklee on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Zjacklee

I'll throw this one in too. This is the "other" line.

Last edited by Zjacklee on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby alnoth » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:50 pm

alnoth

well, if you want to go for hyperrealism, sure, theres tons of lines. now look at that manga face - wide open mouth, no lines, the rest of the face, no lines, the wide open eye, no lines... the nose is reduced to 2 (two) lines.

so of all the lines in the face one would indicate THAT one? :shock: besides... we are still talking about the one with both eye-brows raised, right?

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Ambiguity

Zjacklee wrote:here is a pic of a real eye. take a look above the eyelash. If words can't convince you, maybe a picture will. ;)

Edit: Upon further research i see that this line is also the same line as the other pic below this post. There is a point in which if you close your eye with slightly more force(not sure how to explain that) that the skin makes those wrinkles. Best thing I can tell you now is to check it out in a mirror. close your eye softly, and then try to close it as hard as possible. you will see all the changes.
Ambiguity wrote:The only thing I can think of that he'd be showing is an epicanthal fold, otherwise folds really only show on closed eyes when they're shut tightly.

Yup, I mentioned shutting your eye tightly; also, the first picture looks like an Asian eye, which means the lines are most likely being cause by an epicanthal fold.

P.S. The second picture is actually of an opened eye, that's why you're seeing a deep fold.

@alnoth I took pictures of myself to study after your earlier post, one with relaxed brows and shut eyes, the other with raised brows and shut eyes; raising my brows seemed to have little to no effect on my eyelids, it only pulled skin up from my nose.

Postby alnoth » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:16 pm

alnoth

do a different test. close your eyes. now place your fingers on your lidded eyeballs. lift the brows - and feel the skin stretch. the wrinkle zjack is talking about could be different from person to person, so maybe it does nothing (visually) for you. but i think the skin is stretched out more, reducing the wrinkle if there ever was one to minimum.

Postby Roger » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:06 pm

Roger

jacklee, can you please put those images in a spoiler. This is my sketchbook thread and I rather not have to massively scroll down to read what Ambiguity and Alnoth has to say.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Zjacklee

Roger wrote:jacklee, can you please put those images in a spoiler. This is my sketchbook thread and I rather not have to massively scroll down to read what Ambiguity and Alnoth has to say.

sure

Edit:
Done

Postby marvel57 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:33 pm

marvel57

I say, has this fellow suffered a blow to the head? Because he's exhibiting all the classic symptoms of a concussion, pupils unequal and unresponsive, dazed look, flushed skin Dr. Marvel :ugeek: I prescribe an intense course of eraser therapy possibly leading to total face replacement

Postby Roger » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:05 pm

Roger

If anyone else is still debating on the eye thing I took the time to take these pictures of myself with my left eye closed.

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:00 am

Ambiguity

alnoth wrote:do a different test. close your eyes. now place your fingers on your lidded eyeballs. lift the brows - and feel the skin stretch. the wrinkle zjack is talking about could be different from person to person, so maybe it does nothing (visually) for you. but i think the skin is stretched out more, reducing the wrinkle if there ever was one to minimum.

That's not how the facial muscles work though. I even looked it up and it turns out this happens because the occipitofrontalis muscle is the only one responsible for raising the brows, just like the orbicularis oculi muscle is the only one that can close the eyelids.

Anyways, even from Roger's images you can see that if you're not closing your eye tightly there is no line. As it pertains to his image, I think the line is fine actually because she is winking, not just closing her eye softly; I think the line should be a bit closer to the lashes though.

Postby alnoth » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:19 am

alnoth

ok, i havent looked up anything, but *my* eye-lid skin is stretched out more, when i raise my brow - i have tried it, and it simply is, i can feel the pull. it may very well be, that theres nothing going on as far as muscles with the lid when you raise brows, but we are drawing the skin, not the muscles.

anyway, i got involved in this whole thing by saying that i dont know why they draw those lines in there. stylization of some sort, ok. artistic license and all that. if it really is what zjack is talking about, then i am simply surprised that anyone would include this line in their stylization, while a lot more dominant lines would be excluded. but thats just my wondering.

so to wrap it up, i still dont think i know WHY they do it. they do do it, and if they want to, its their choice. :D

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:33 am

Nipponkage

Personally I think that you should of raised the line to the top of the eye. Because as of now it just looks like the skin over the eye is flat and raising the line would:
A) indicate there is an eye there. and
B) indicate the stretching of the skin .

@zjacklee: In the spoiler of the eyes, I like how you included the shrengan.

Postby Roger » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:44 am

Roger

Postby Total100 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:19 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

nice job! where the figures from refence?
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Roger » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:25 pm

Roger

Nope. Most figures I draw are from imagination.

Postby SirRedLlama » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:41 pm

SirRedLlama

You should do some realistic face studies, they don't need to be perfect or good but it would help with the placement of facial features.

Postby Roger » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:16 pm

Roger

I actually do draw real faces, I just haven't done any studies lately, I've been far too busy to do any serious drawings. But I do draw each piece of the face separately though. These drawings are probably the closest things I'll do for a study session.

After seeing SirRedLlama Tangled drawing, I decided to draw her out. Quick 20 minute sketch, hardly did any erasing. Shading and refining it might happen or not.

My sketchbook is too big for my printer, that is why there is inconsistencies throughout the pictures.

Postby Roger » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Roger

Illustrator work.

Postby Dream » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Dream

Oh wow.

Just... Wow.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby Roger » Tue May 07, 2013 10:59 pm

Roger

First is a bird, then Jam from GG, then batman, then some character creation

Postby Roger » Tue May 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Roger

Its a pretty bad scanner

Postby virtueone » Wed May 08, 2013 6:12 am

virtueone

Roger wrote:Its a pretty bad scanner

Lol, it looks like you're using a fax machine. If it has any options, try scanning it in Grayscale or RGB color mode... or just take photos. Haha. :D Cool skeches. ;)

Postby Roger » Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Roger

Postby Roger » Mon May 27, 2013 6:23 pm

Roger

virtueone wrote:
Roger wrote:Its a pretty bad scanner

Lol, it looks like you're using a fax machine. If it has any options, try scanning it in Grayscale or RGB color mode... or just take photos. Haha. :D Cool skeches. ;)

thanks, and yeah now I'll just take pictures from now on.

Postby marvel57 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:36 pm

marvel57

Roger looks like your doing what you like, trying to get the hang of it. You have a few that show potential, keep going, try to learn the basics :ugeek:

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook