Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Roger » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:53 am

Roger

Subject title: Rogers Sketchbook

36 poses, 30 secs each.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby SeaQuenchal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:06 pm

SeaQuenchal

Hey Roger! I noticed all the figure sketches you've been doing and I wanted to say it's really cool to see all your studies. I've been working on gestures too and I think I'm gradually getting a little faster all the time but still it amazes me how much information you're able to get down in 30 seconds. Great work and thanks for posting. Just wanted to let you know it's an inspiration. :)
"Every artist was first an amateur." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone." -Lucretius

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter!!!

Postby Sycra » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Sycra
Site Admin

I'm likin' those figure studies Roger!

Postby Roger » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:57 am

Roger

@SeaQuenchal, thank you very much! I just see the human body in shapes and I copy down those shapes. It gets easier over time with each practice.

@Sycra, thank you very much. Studying the figure has been my most dominated study out of all of them. I'm trying to get faster and faster with each set.

Postby Roger » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:55 am

Roger

started out digipainting.

Postby Roger » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:46 am

Roger

I DREW BATMAN

Image[/spoiler]

And Also batwoman or batgirl one of those two.

Image[/spoiler]

Postby Geinkotsu » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:23 am

Geinkotsu

I aboslutely love your poses and figure studies, you aren't afraid to experiment with poses (something I've been avoiding for too long) and facial expressions and whatnot. I love the style in which you sketch your figures, simplifies without breaking down too much. Although perhaps an experiment you should try in the future is maybe some color experiments. Maybe try soft tones or low saturated colors, just to play around with it.
"Every profound spirit needs a mask: even more, around every profound spirit a mask is growing continually, owing to the constantly false, namely shallow interpretation of every word, every step, every sign of life he gives."

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:21 am

Roger

Thank you for the comments , hm I've should try that.

Postby Roger » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:17 pm

Roger

All the drawings I've done for other people :mrgreen:

Postby Roger » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:36 am

Roger

[spoiler=otter?]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Galaxy?]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Walter Guy?]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Bach?]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler=I SPENT WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON THIS ONE]Image[/spoiler]

Postby Roger » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:04 am

Roger

http://imgur.com/a/pdUoZ
Anime has taken my main stand point since I've last posted here. Images are rather large.

Postby Roger » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:13 am

Roger

http://i.imgur.com/9vo33.png

Miku and Rin, different styles of coloring. Need to settle on one.

Postby Roger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Roger

Pretty big but not big enough to stretch the page. Still deciding on what way to color.

Postby Roger » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Roger

http://i.imgur.com/YzfHy.png

too big for displaying with img tags. Neru Akita, a voiceless Vocaloid.

Postby Fenix_N » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Fenix_N

A lot of your stuff looks like stuff I have in my sketchbook about 7-8 months ago. I think you're still near the beginning of the process of trying to think in 3d. It looks like you know the general idea of where to put your shadows, but haven't quite figured out the forms of the face yet. No worries, you'll get there eventually if you keep observing and practicing. Maybe give the Proko TV channel on youtube a look.

Postby Roger » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Roger

I've read the Loomis book, his videos were just review for me. I don't practice that much and don't finish most of the colorings. If I actually took the time to study other than figure or portraits I'd probably be better but I'm content with how I am.

Postby Nipponkage » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:02 pm

Nipponkage

Roger wrote:Image

Pretty big but not big enough to stretch the page. Still deciding on what way to color.

I would say tha the line that indicated the fold in the eye-lid on the left eye wouldn't be there, if anything it would be at the top, t would show were there eye starts. Folds in skin are all about whats underneith.

Postby Roger » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:25 am

Roger

Nipponkage wrote:
Roger wrote:http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx334/GraphicsXx/Drawings/61249_812742112199988_77170455_n.jpg[/img]

I would say tha the line that indicated the fold in the eye-lid on the left eye wouldn't be there, if anything it would be at the top, t would show were there eye starts. Folds in skin are all about whats underneith.

http://www.mangareader.net/648-32575-18 ... ter-2.html

Middle panel, that is my reference, sure I elongated it but I didn't want to fully copy it. Pretty sure the original artist knows what he is doing.

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:31 am

Zjacklee

that line there that you guys are talking about is fine. it's the eyelid line. When the anime eye is closed it is slightly in the place it is now. When the eye is open, it is usually parallel to the eye in the corner. Sometimes people mistake it as an eyelash.

The line that Nipponkage means is something else, which in turn could also be correct. That would be the line of the wrapping around the whole eyesocket. (which is sometimes skipped in anime. But always drawn in more realistic anime styles)

Random closed anime eyes
Spoiler: show

Random open anime eyes:
Spoiler: show
Last edited by Zjacklee on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:36 am

Ambiguity

Roger wrote:Pretty sure the original artist knows what he is doing.

That's not always true, some artists copy mistakes they see other artists do, or they make mistakes because they don't understand why another artist did something for a given situation.

The only thing I can think of that he'd be showing is an epicanthal fold, otherwise folds really only show on closed eyes when they're shut tightly.

Postby Roger » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:32 am

Roger

Ambiguity wrote:
Roger wrote:Pretty sure the original artist knows what he is doing.

That's not always true, some artists copy mistakes they see other artists do, or they make mistakes because they don't understand why another artist did something for a given situation.

The only thing I can think of that he'd be showing is an epicanthal fold, otherwise folds really only show on closed eyes when they're shut tightly.

Honestly, the artist that drew the Manga I was mimicking got paid to do it so he/she is getting by their style. Every manga artist draws a closed eye differently, as well as those that draw for animations I'm merely copying poses I like and seeing if I can get the likeness down or not. Chances are I am not going to take anything from that drawing, just doing something out of my element.

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:34 am

Ambiguity

Roger wrote:Honestly, the artist that drew the Manga I was mimicking got paid to do it so he/she is getting by their style
What does that have to do with the price of eggs?

Roger wrote:Every manga artist draws a closed eye differently, as well as those that draw for animations
True, but that shouldn't be an excuse to add something without knowing why you put it in(although "because it looks cool" can be an acceptable reason sometimes lol).

Roger wrote:I'm merely copying poses I like and seeing if I can get the likeness down or not. Chances are I am not going to take anything from that drawing, just doing something out of my element.
Fair enough.

Postby alnoth » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:48 am

alnoth

i dont know why they do it, it has nothing to do with what an eye looks like...

in the reference, one frame left to the actual frame that served as ref for this image, theres a girl with both eyes closed and rised brows (!!) and she has those lines over both eyes... now, i dont care what type of eyes anyone has, when he closes them and rises the brows, theres no wrinkles or folds whatsoever above the lashes...

maybe it is to indicate the shape of the eye-ball? in which case it is way too low, too close to the eye lash line. so yeah, no idea why they put it in there in the first place. :?

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Zjacklee

alnoth wrote:i dont know why they do it, it has nothing to do with what an eye looks like...

in the reference, one frame left to the actual frame that served as ref for this image, theres a girl with both eyes closed and rised brows (!!) and she has those lines over both eyes... now, i dont care what type of eyes anyone has, when he closes them and rises the brows, theres no wrinkles or folds whatsoever above the lashes...

maybe it is to indicate the shape of the eye-ball? in which case it is way too low, too close to the eye lash line. so yeah, no idea why they put it in there in the first place. :?

As I said before, that line above the eyelash is the eyelid.( it indicates the thickness of the lower part.) The other line that you guys are talking about which is the one that indicates the skin wrapped around the eyeball which goes in the skull socket under the eyebrow disappears when the eye is closed since it gets stretched.
when the eye is closed, any definition on it comes purely from it's own shadow and not with a line.(a line in that situation would indicate the eyes being jammed in the socket)
that's why there are no lines when the eye is closed except maybe that one of the eyelid.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby alnoth » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:14 pm

alnoth

i disagree. there is NO line, not even the thickness of the lid. theres the eye-lash line, and then nothing all the way up to the brow.
eye.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook