Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby zellic » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:14 pm

zellic

Subject title: Zellic does The Art

i got some red and blue lead for my mechanical pencils, and OH MAN AM I IN LOVE. i've been practicing torsos still, and i can't quite get the female torso down, but whatever. i'm trying. using the blue and red is helping, though! so thanks to oli for the suggestion of using different colors! i generally do the skeleton in either red or blue, then go over it with the other color. it's been helping me try to manage my mistakes, but i'm still not too successful! i haven't uploaded any of those because they make me feel a bit sad :lol:

i've also been doing some stuff from reference, because it gives me a nice little confidence boost and is (slowly) helping me figure out what i'm doing wrong! in a spoiler because of boobies ;)

Spoiler: show

the first's head and neck are out of proportion, and the second's legs are terrible, but i think i improved on the head/neck proportion on the second.

Postby Barbossa » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:20 pm

Barbossa

It's ok, just draw your ass off and you'll be fine. Belive me ;)
Please check out my stuff on:
DeviantArt
ArtStation
DrawCrowd
tumblr

Postby zellic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:49 am

zellic

i haven't been doing too much lately... been getting in the groove of homeschooling my son, and that's been taking up a lot of time, so i rarely get time to do a lot of studies! i got a bit of time with my new toned sketchbook, and redrew something i'd drawn back in february with some of the stuff i'd learned since i drew it (which, admittedly, wasn't as much as i'd like).

i should really post here more, but i always feel like i don't have anything to show...

anyway... uh... yeah...

Postby zellic » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:43 pm

zellic

so i have yet to find a tutorial on drawing female torsos that like... clicks with me. so i've REALLY been struggling with that. i've got the general gist of it, so for like cartoony things it doesn't really look too bad, but i'd like to also do slightly more realistic stuff! or even fairly realistic, like those reference drawings i did.

so due to the trouble i'd been having, i pretty much just stopped trying to build the form on top of a skeleton. i have the general idea of the differences, and when i'm sketching i can manage alright-ish. but i refuse to keep beating at a wall that's frustrating me and bringing me down! it will only discourage me and make me stop drawing entirely.

so i've gone back to faces again, since i hadn't really been drawing them much, and need more work with them. i tend to go way too big on the eyes, and just getting the shape of the head i want isn't happening as often as it should be. i got an instagram so that i could post up my crap and get some feedback while also being able to access it on my PC easier than scanning it. my scanner is a POS, so i hate using it. so yes, these are all from there, which is why there aren't like... a thousand of them.

some gestures, most were crap, but this one came out both lovely AND accurate to the photo. i'd like to have pretty gestures! it was a 30 second gesture.

doodled some poses, and uploaded my favorites.

lady torsos without trying to structure the form underneath... not good, but not as bad as when i was doing the skeleton.

first try at actually drawing clothes. could have been worse!

favorite drawing to date, hands down. her hair came out the way i wanted (whaaat!), her expression is ADORABLE, and her dress is really cute. her whole torso (shoulders down) is off center from her head and neck, but whatever. she is still cute, and i'm proud of her.

and my first drawing of today! i didn't feel like going the whole nine with a face and hair, and was more focused on her dress. you can see where i messed up her arm, but i think the fix was pretty proportionate. i also think i did well with her shoulders/centering the whole thing, and the proportions of her neck/shoulder/upper chest area. armpits and down, not so much. then i doodled a little floral tattoo, because tattoos are awesome.

most of my drawings tend to lean towards "small", because my sketchbooks are all 5.5"x8.5", and i want to be able to fit more than a figure on a page. hopefully this christmas i'll be able to get myself a couple larger ones!

Postby MikeHannigan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:03 pm

MikeHannigan

Great sketches you got there! Keep it up and good luck, again, on that challenge!

Postby zellic » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:55 pm

zellic

i'm not done yet (started a couple days later than i'd wanted because of a super super sick kid), but i thought i'd post all that i've done! i apologize for crappy pictures, my crappy scanner only works sometimes. i tried to put them in order, but may have failed.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

man this is getting long! some of these are more "quick gesture" than longer poses, but those were closer to the beginning. i started taking more and more time as i went along. there are a few that i did twice because i was trying to figure out the pose, and there were some that i just couldn't figure out because i don't have the best grasp on perspective (yet!).

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

33 left to do! this was a lot more fun than i thought it'd be!

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:59 pm

NesoKaiyoH

These are looking really good! Some major improvement with the poses, it really shows O:! I hope you find some more time to draw, I don't have a child but I can understand them being a handful XD
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby zellic » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:24 pm

zellic

NesoKaiyoH wrote:These are looking really good! Some major improvement with the poses, it really shows O:! I hope you find some more time to draw, I don't have a child but I can understand them being a handful XD

aaaah thanks :oops: :D ! i didn't notice as i was drawing, but when i went through to take the pictures i could see a bit of improvement. it was nice to be able to point it out to myself in my own work, instead of seeing it in everyone else's BUT mine!

and yeah, he's quite the handful when not sick, and when he's sick he's so much worse. and OF COURSE i homeschool, so i don't have time when he's at school to do it XD.

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:31 pm

NesoKaiyoH

Haha, you should be proud of the improvement. Are you intending to take your skills into more professional grounds one day or are you keeping it a hobby?
I'm sure he's adorable though XD
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby zellic » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:49 pm

zellic

NesoKaiyoH wrote:Haha, you should be proud of the improvement. Are you intending to take your skills into more professional grounds one day or are you keeping it a hobby?
I'm sure he's adorable though XD

i don't totally know... i'm a bit of a writer, and i've been toying with the idea of starting a webcomic for funsies. but i also want to be able to do a bit more than just that. i don't know if i ever want to get into an art career (unless my potential comic gets popular, i suppose), but i'm not entirely sure that i don't either. i'm almost 27 already, so i feel like i'm really really behind the curve!

doing something like concept or like... art for blizzard (oooOOOOOOoooo) or something for me is sort of a "if i win the lottery" type dream. it doesn't seem truly possible, but if it happened it'd be a huge huge awesome thing. i think it's mostly because i'm so "old", but so new? i feel like i'm the equivalent of a 14 year old, and if that 14 year old is ready for a career in art at 27, then i'll be so behind at 40.

i think i'm mostly just wanting to get better so that i can draw things that i like and have it look nice, and to draw something when i can't describe it with words, or for gifts, and maybe even do little commissions for like fanart or whatever. but that could literally just be because i think i started too late to do more? idk...

man that got deep and weird! sorry! my kid is totally adorable, but i'm 99% sure that i'm super biased. but he loves to draw with me, which warms my icy heart. he's only 5, and i'm hoping if he enjoys art (and it's not just the normal "little kid likes to draw" phase), that i can manage to foster a healthy mindset about it and teach him well and all that jazz. i'd be delighted if he got better than me, truly. absolutely ecstatic.

Postby zellic » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:15 am

zellic

heyyyyyyy finally getting the last ones up! whoops.

ImageImage
using ink was the worst idea. not gonna do that again until i've got a better handle on this XD.

ImageImage
ImageImage

i need to work on perspective, and also a little more on arms and legs, and a lot on hands and feet!

Postby zellic » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:41 pm

zellic

i've been getting irritated i guess with my progress. i feel like i'm going backwards! i LOVE to draw faces, but 90% of the time they come out terrible, when before it was only 70% of the time. maybe my eye is just getting better, but it's still irritating. so i've sort of stopped with the humans for now, because i don't work well while frustrated.

i got some watercolors for christmas/my birthday (christmas eve i turned 27 officially lol), and so i've just been doodling little things so that i can paint them :lol: . of course i don't have much to show for it, since i'm a lazy bastard and don't take many pictures of my stuff and basically never scan them. have a little cat-like creature of my own creation (from a novel idea i had and wrote for national novel writing month the past two years that will never see the light of day LOL). he looks like a cat. he's not technically a cat, though. he's sort of like a fennec fox/sand cat? and also can go invisible for short periods of time because magic.

i framed this little painting (it's lighter than in the picture, but i'm terrible at taking pictures and didn't think to scan it until after it was framed), because i think it looks awesome and cute, and i wanted a little reminder that i can draw awesome and cute things for when i feel down.

i did manage to draw the main character from that crappy novel idea in a way that didn't make me want to set myself on fire! i want to color her SO BADLY, but i'll wait until i have a light box so that i don't have to worry about ruining the sketch.

my new avatar is an ume blossom that i drew and painted, as well. it came out really nicely, too, i think.

Postby zellic » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:41 pm

zellic

woo. legs. -_- i haven't really figured them out. more study today!

ImageImage
ImageImage
wow that one crotch is the worst.
ImageImage

Postby zellic » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:17 am

zellic

ImageImage
ImageImage

Postby zellic » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:19 am

zellic

ImageImage
ImageImage

Postby zellic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:09 am

zellic

Wow it's been... Literal years! January 2015 to now, March 2019. Gosh, I can't believe it honestly. What have I been up to? Not as much art as I should've been, but it's still a nonzero amount! Perhaps a small trip through the missing time? I will apologize in advance for large images.

The rest of 2015 could be summed up here:
ImageImageImage

2016: I drew maybe a dozen things in 2016. It wasn't a great year for me in general, and my lack of art really correlates with that.
ImageImageImage

2017: Another year of very little art. This was a little more because I was scared to get back to it after not really drawing for so long. I knew I'd backslid, and I didn't want to see how far.
ImageImage

2018: I did a lot more in 2018 than in 2016 and 2017 combined, but it still wasn't a whole lot overall either. But I'd gotten a few new art friends, and started to play TTRPGs, and those both helped to push me to draw more.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

2019: This was when Pubdraw on the Critical Role twitch channel started! First as a one-off, but then as a full series, and It's caused a big boost to both my art self-esteem, and my motivation. I honestly can't thank them enough for making that one-off a real show. Seeing Marisha, also a full grown adult woman, learn to draw and having Babs teach her and thousands of others has been so delightful. I'm back on an up-swing in terms of art output, and I'm seeing improvement quite a lot which creates this lovely positive feedback loop. Monthly highlights, this time!
January:
ImageImageImage

February:
ImageImageImage

March:
ImageImageImage

Some things I'm doing this year: taking more time while drawing! Instead of trying to be done with something fully colored in an hour or two, I'm not rushing. And I'm trying to go back to a piece after I've put it down for a break. A few of the ones from February were actually commissions (for game currency for a petsim I play), and I spent at least two days on them off and on. And they came out quite well! The pubdraw drawings I may or may not go back to, depending on the week. I haven't finished the Nott drawing or the Percy, and technically not the Vax I shared! But I'm hoping to go back to them all at some point to finish them up. No pressure though :lol:

Postby fi_le » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:01 am

fi_le

Hi Zellic, good thing you're bringing your sketchbook back.

Taking time with your drawings is a good step, maybe I should do that more? Then again, I'd probably feel like I wouldn't get anything done.

Have a nice day!
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby zellic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:06 pm

zellic

fi_le wrote:Hi Zellic, good thing you're bringing your sketchbook back.

Taking time with your drawings is a good step, maybe I should do that more? Then again, I'd probably feel like I wouldn't get anything done.

Have a nice day!

Thank you!

I think maybe even just putting it down to have a snack and coming back to it for an extra hour is better than trying to do it all in one shorter go. First you come back with fresh eyes, and second you come back a little refreshed! I've had a better time when I can notice I'm starting to feel tired or irritated with whatever I'm doing, and I go to take a break of some sort before continuing. Sometimes that's just to get something to eat or watch a movie, and sometimes I put it down until the next day.

Honestly the hard part is getting back to it! But if you can open it up for even an extra twenty minutes at another time, that's great! But on the other side of it, you need to have a concrete time to call it finished. It's a month for me, and I make it easy for myself with how I organize things on my computer. Each year has a folder, and inside that it's separated by months. (Not every year has every month, I add the month folders when I add a drawing during that month) So when it's a new month, I'm not opening the old month folder anymore, and out of sight is out of mind :lol: If I didn't do this, then I'd likely have a few pieces that I'd just go and fix and refix and refix forever! My Jester drawing from February is a good example, actually! I see some things that I'd like to change, but that was from February! It's March now, and I've got pieces I can adjust from now instead.

Postby zellic » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:29 am

zellic

So I finished some stuff for a commission (for that petsim again), and was generally pleased with it! My lineart consistency leaves a lot to be desired :lol: The green tea in the wood cup was my favorite by far. I really enjoyed making the grain, and spent maybe way too much time on it. I just couldn't stop!

ImageImageImage

I was reminded just now of another thing I drew for that pet sim that I really enjoyed. This was from June of 2018!

My most recent finished piece, a portrait of my newest dnd character. She's a firbolg, but in the style that Critical Role uses (so a bit cow-deer like).

I also did a little doodle of her later, that I was pretty pleased with!

Postby arodude » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:35 pm

arodude

Those cup drawings are really adorable!

Postby zellic » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:50 am

zellic

arodude wrote:Those cup drawings are really adorable!

Thank you!

Postby zellic » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:54 am

zellic

I keep not drawing for a while, and then mostly just doing what I'm most comfortable with: faces.

I've been trying to work on drawing clothing, but I keep being so incredibly unhappy with it that I stop drawing for days or even weeks. I really wish it wouldn't affect me so much. I've been working on that, though! I'm down to days or weeks as opposed to months to a year! Focus on the positive amirite? :lol:

My most recent piece, another Dungeons and Dragons character! She's a High Elf Rogue. I really enjoyed playing with her scars and eye color.

Previous

Return to Sketchbook