Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby zellic » Mon May 19, 2014 7:17 am

zellic

Subject title: Zellic does The Art

So I finally got the nerve to post a sketchbook! I don't currently have much "new", because I haven't scanned in any new pages from my sketchbooks. I'll probably do that tomorrow!

I won't post all the stuff I've got, because bleh. Just my favorites from this past year. In February my step-mom invited me to do this 29 faces challenge thing she was doing, and since at the time I was working on faces, I leapt right in. I think I only did one face that wasn't facing front XD. I REALLY need work on that.

I find myself flitting from study subject to study subject, and doing a lot of little things. I try to break it down into chunks that are able to be broken down a little more (like faces can be broken down into eyes/nose/mouth/hair) so that I can still accomplish something with my terrible focus. And I doodle a LOT of eyes. I think those and noses are my favorite things to draw. Man I love noses. ANYWAY. On to the horror show ;)

Also if stuff is super big, I AM SO SORRY. I don't know how to fix it :oops:

This was back in January, when I only had lined notebooks and didn't want a hundred pieces of loose paper everywhere!

These are some of my favorites from February.

I'll go through my sketchbooks for some of the stuff i'm working on now...

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Mon May 19, 2014 7:19 am

ErnieTheMighty

Awesome! Glad you finally created a sketchbook thread! Looking forward for more stuff!

Postby zellic » Mon May 19, 2014 7:24 am

zellic

everyone's sketchbooks are so GOOD, and i keep thinking "oh, my stuff is all gross! i have to get better before i can show anyone!"

but if i don't post it here, how will i get better?!

also, yes, i totally just gave up on capital letters.

Postby zellic » Mon May 19, 2014 7:26 am

zellic

OH! i forgot my avatar! i was doodling while watching supernatural, and ended up drawing a teeny tiny castiel.
castiel size.jpg
next to a penny!

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Mon May 19, 2014 7:27 am

ErnieTheMighty

is a chibi

Spoiler: show

Postby zellic » Mon May 19, 2014 7:33 am

zellic

ErnieTheMighty wrote:is a chibi

Spoiler: show

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

on that note, should i do the spoiler thing when my images are really big?

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Mon May 19, 2014 7:41 am

ErnieTheMighty

If you're speaking of the image sizes like the ones above, it's fine.

I always resize mine to have a width of 750px

Postby PostBoxRomance » Mon May 19, 2014 8:07 am

PostBoxRomance

Hi there! Welcome to the forum!

You know, if you draw regularly and keep your sketchbook updated on here, you'll be really surprised at how quickly you'll improve!

The advice you'll get on here to begin with is to study the fundamentals. Do lots of figure drawing, study light and colour theory and over the coming months, you'll find you improve really quickly!

Good luck!
My sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2033&start=0

25 years old, artist, web designer and pretending to know what I'm doing.

Postby marvel57 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:03 pm

marvel57

I'm reading "The Complete Famous Artist Course (1960)1" by on Scribd and thought of you!

Read more: http://scribd.com/doc/125914526

Build your personal digital library on Scribd! Subscribe today and your first month is free. http://www.scribd.com/subscribe :!:

Postby fleur » Mon May 19, 2014 10:49 pm

fleur

Welcome to the forums!
You'll improve so quickly you won't know what's come over you :lol: just follow these guys, they know what they're talking about!
17-F-England

Postby zellic » Tue May 20, 2014 12:24 am

zellic

So, I'm pretty much the worst at gesture drawings... Part of that is my tenuous grasp on anatomy (I took several anatomy classes before I changed my major, but that was literally 9 years ago), but also that it's like... weirdly difficult. I can't make them look even remotely nice. They're so bad XD

BUT! Looking through my sketchbook (it's pretty small, so I can't fit much on a page) I noticed that I WAS getting a little better! Not a LOT, but more than none!

The first two pages are from the first couple days in April, and the second two are from the last couple days in April!

I still don't have the hang of it, though. But I keep practicing!

These next few are just random things I've done this month. At one point I wanted to try to just shade certain parts of the face...

Postby co_wheeler » Tue May 20, 2014 12:47 am

co_wheeler

zellic dont be so hard on your self gesture is kinda a pain until it clicks in the brain you can tell what they are doing and that is the most imporatant part of gesture its getting the feeling of the movement to paper yeah all the other is important but i will come as you get better at it

Postby Snakebreath » Tue May 20, 2014 1:44 am

Snakebreath

Great work! I really like those coloured portraits you posted near the top, they're full of personality ^^ Keep it up!

Postby marvel57 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:50 am

marvel57

Stop making sucky art, use that link I gave you :lol: Vince with Slap Chop (Long version): http://youtu.be/rUbWjIKxrrs :!:

Postby zellic » Tue May 20, 2014 2:23 am

zellic

marvel57 wrote:Stop making sucky art, use that link I gave you :lol: Vince with Slap Chop (Long version): http://youtu.be/rUbWjIKxrrs :!:

if it's not free forever, then i can't get it! i'm so broke it's stupid, and would rather buy more food than anything else. i've got PDFs of Loomis stuff, though, and i'll be looking that over probably tomorrow. most of the things i've posted were all done before this last week, actually! the things i've done this week isn't uh... posting appropriate ;)

Postby zellic » Sun May 25, 2014 8:20 am

zellic

so i've mostly been working on gesture and proportions, but haven't scanned any of those in. i'll try to remember tomorrow.

but i did need to scan this card i made for a friend's son. i thought i did a not too crappy job on it XD

Postby zellic » Thu May 29, 2014 4:04 am

zellic

here comes some spam! ;)

the one in the top left i was just copying from another person's gesture. i was hoping to learn something. i learned i'm terrible at gesture.

i feel like i'm not getting the hang of anatomy very well... i have some ebooks but i just... idk...

Postby zellic » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:40 am

zellic

uuuuhhh 30 second gestures for about 15 minutes. the paper i used was too big for my scanner, so some of it got cut off.

and just some of the pages i've done when watching random stuff/listening to podcasts... i've been spending a lot of time just drawing a figure to see if i can just eyeball general proportion, and i think i've gotten it a lot better than before. i stopped trying to do like... a more fleshed figure for proportion because it was just muddying up what i wasn't getting right. i figure the most basic skeleton is best to get down first, and THEN add a bit more on top of it.

torsos are looking to be a struggle for me. yay. :|

wow i suck at hair.

although it's not finished, and the eye is a little weird, i'm pretty in love with that profile at the bottom... it came out pretty nice for just doodling with no structure.

Postby zellic » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:58 am

zellic

/shrug just doin stuff

i did a little gesture and anatomy practice-thing, where i drew the gesture first, then went back and did my best (heh) to draw the pose anatomically, and then went and did the gesture a second time to see if there was any difference.

there was totally some difference. it was a nice little practice, too, and i'll probably do it a few more times.

Postby Zearthus » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:16 am

Zearthus

Hello there zellic, welcome to the forum!

I'm gonna offer up some advice that worked for me. But you can always ditch them if it doesn't work.

1) Draw with your whole arm and not your wrist when doing gestures
2) See the line of action of the pose
3) Watch other peoples do gestures
4) Note down what you struggling on
5) Draw at a 45 degrees angle

A couple of videos that can aid with gestures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j39NqwL7s4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb3ad2mA8y4

Eddie Pitmans Gesture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXSyagaarU4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHLxbLU ... yAwLnqskLA (Holding the pencil)

For anatomy, its quite hard to come by free good resources. But they're definitely out there.

Check the following links for anatomy:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _8VMqQk00s
http://foervraengd.deviantart.com/art/U ... -220251993

Hope this helps, and happy drawing!
BEHANCE: https://www.behance.net/brian-hermelijn
SKETCHBOOK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8158&hilit=Zearthus&start=540

"I do not sugarcoat, rather I write my honest opinion"

Postby zellic » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:36 am

zellic

brianhermelijn wrote:Hello there zellic, welcome to the forum!

I'm gonna offer up some advice that worked for me. But you can always ditch them if it doesn't work.

1) Draw with your whole arm and not your wrist when doing gestures
2) Watch the line of the pose
3) Watch other peoples do gestures
4) Note down what you struggling on

A couple of videos that can aid with gestures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j39NqwL7s4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb3ad2mA8y4

For anatomy, its quite hard to come by free good resources. But they're definitely out there.

Check the following links for anatomy:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _8VMqQk00s
http://foervraengd.deviantart.com/art/U ... -220251993

Hope this helps, and happy drawing!

thanks! i'm actually subscribed to both proko and alphonso, and i check out their channels and rewatch things whenever i have the time!

i know i should probably pick one thing and stick with it for a long time, but my attention span just won't let me do that too much. i started with gesture back in june? then by mid-july i was irritated with it because i felt like i wasn't making much progress, so i dug around here and found the 100 sketch challenge thingy. of course, i didn't adhere to the 100 sketches/week bit, but i figured it was a nice way to work on stuff anyway.

i've been bouncing between sycra's male torso tutorial and my print out of the relevant parts of atlas of human anatomy for the artist for now, because the way sycra breaks down the torso (first by a lot, and then sort of grouping things together) really helps me! and then having a second reference with different breakdowns that i can easily swap with sycra's is helpful.

that deviantart link is AWESOME, though! thanks so much! it's in my favorites now.

Postby zellic » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:58 pm

zellic

SO: all of the last sketches and crap that i posted were from last month. the last one was... a week ago? and then some? about the 25th or so. i've literally only done a few things this month. BUT i have some things i feel a little proud of, and that i wanted to share!

just a random drawing of a girl. i like to draw faces, even though i can't do it in profile or 3/4 view XD

and here are a couple torsos drawn in a slightly different way. instead of drawing out the skeleton (the more basic one, not literally drawing a whole skeleton), i just decided to try to copy what i was seeing. on the left was last night, and even before i was finished i noticed all the bad stuff. but i didn't feel like erasing or trying it again. i still like some of the shading, so i don't see it as a total failure. and then on the right was about 15 minutes ago. i spent half an hour to 45 minutes on it (i'm not entirely sure, since i didn't look at the clock until after). and MAN AM I PLEASED. it's not the best, no. but it's the best i've done so far, and that's AWESOME. look at it! LOOK AT IT. i want to shove it in people's faces and tell them to look at it. MAN IT IS SO GREAT. and partially unfinished. the right arm, and everything below the lower abs LOL. WHATEVER. LOOK AT IT. THAT LOOKS SO GOOD. yes i still need to work on things (shoulders? how to? i suck at the shoulder and neck area), but this little exercise actually helped me FIX a couple issues i was having! namely the chest area.

soooo yeah. now i've caught up? i mean, i still have more stuff from when i wasn't posting, but i'm not sharing pages full of cross-hatching and even MORE random face-parts.

Postby Oli » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:10 pm

Oli

The last torso really looks cool.

However, what really helped me (what does not mean that it ll work for you as well), I try to put down a really rough and loose stick figure to get the "flow" down. In another color I put over it a 3D figure using basic shapes like boxes and cylinders and what not. Next (in another color again) I put down the lines that I want to keep. This way you can try to add more complex figures and poses. Works great for me.
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby zellic » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:25 pm

zellic

Oli wrote:The last torso really looks cool.

However, what really helped me (what does not mean that it ll work for you as well), I try to put down a really rough and loose stick figure to get the "flow" down. In another color I put over it a 3D figure using basic shapes like boxes and cylinders and what not. Next (in another color again) I put down the lines that I want to keep. This way you can try to add more complex figures and poses. Works great for me.

thanks!! i think the shading might be my favorite bit... or just the whole thing... i can't stop looking at it! i can barely wrap my head around the fact that i drew it :oops:

i might actually try that out the next time. i've mostly just been using the method from sycra's torso video (rib cage, clavicle, etc etc) in just pencil, but i still can't seem to get it right. idk... i think i just haven't managed to get the right landmarks imprinted into my brain. i WILL say that doing that so much helped me recognize what i was drawing with that last torso, and it helped me keep everything in close to the right places.

Next

Return to Sketchbook