Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Ionflux » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Ionflux

Subject title: Ionflux sketchbook

Hi, welcome to my sketchbook thread!

I started becoming interested in drawing again and in digital art for the first time around 2006 and have been practicing on and off since then. Unfortunately I cannot live from my art (yet?) so I'm a coder as well.

I started with techy stuff, but my current goal is to get better at character design and create art for games. A lot of my work is inspired by a Sci-fi universe I started developing some 15 years ago.

I won't bore you with all my old stuff, which you can see over at DeviantArt. I will start by posting some stuff from the last 12 or so months. I also omitted the sketchier stuff at least for the first post, but I actually do a lot of studies as well, which I might post in future updates.

I'm a big fan of open source software. Currently all my digital images are done in Krita (or Blender, if they involve anything 3D).

Hope you like it. I'm always open for feedback of any sort (as long as it is polite). And if you like my stuff, consider following me on social media. :)

DeviantArtArtStationFacebookInstagramTwitterTumblrTwitchYouTubeDrawcrowd

Photoref by David MacKenzie (www.DMacstudios.com)

»The multiverse doesn't make sense, and it ain't supposed to.«
SketchbookDeviantArtArtStationInstagramFacebook

Postby fi_le » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:04 pm

fi_le

Hi Ionflux, welcome to the forum! I like your stuff a lot, even if I'm not into this kind of sci-fi. I'm anticipating already where this sketchbook is going...
Anyways, good luck with your art :)
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Mandilor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:16 am

Mandilor

Welcome to the forum Ionflux! You have some really cool stuff. I'm not good with techie stuff so I'm always impressed by it.

Postby Ionflux » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:12 pm

Ionflux

Thanks for the welcome and kind words! :)

Sketched some base poses for character design. Clothing to be added later. I skipped the linework and went straight to painting, which is not my usual process, but something I need to practice. I get rid of the lines eventually when doing rendered stuff, so this may save some time in the future.

And some spaceship thumbnails, some of which I am planning to flesh out and develop into finished 3D models. Feel free to name your favorites. :)

Postby Ionflux » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Ionflux

Anatomy studies from ref. Also continuing to practice a more painterly approach without any linework.

Postby Peteman22 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:29 pm

Peteman22

Wow cool stuff. You have obviously been doing this for a while. :) Welcome to the forum. I really like the design of the bug armored sorceress.
What are you doing? Stop browsing the forum and get drawing.

Just visit my sketchbook first:

http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37212 Come say hello!

Postby Ionflux » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Ionflux

Thanks! Yeah, you could say that. Though it still feels as if I have only scratched the surface. :)

Glad you like the sorceress. I was going more for a dragon/demon look to the armor, but oh well. ;) Might draw more of her in the future.

Here are some more arm studies. It was mentioned in one of the Level Up videos on YT that it might be a good idea to focus on one body part at a time when learning anatomy, so that is what I am trying now.

Postby Ionflux » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Ionflux

Sketched some character thumbnails, to relax after all the anatomy studies. ;)

Postby ChocoCookie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:12 pm

ChocoCookie

Oh, I really like those thumbnails! Especially number 4. (:

Postby Ionflux » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Ionflux

Thanks! They were a lot of fun to do. :)

More arm anatomy studies…

And a photo study. Ref by David MacKenzie (https://jagged-eye.deviantart.com/art/T ... -692938885). This was meant as a warmup sketch and got slightly out of hand.

Postby DRaff210 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:23 am

DRaff210

Welcome to the forum!! I totally sympathize with your journey to be able to live off of art. It's good that you have a goal in mind (game/character art) - that's probably the first and most important step.

Your characters and sketches and concepts are awesome, but holy damn can we talk about those arm/hand studies?? Those colors and the painterly rendering and the actual anatomy... aaahhh it's all so amazing! I love specifically how you incorporated colors like purple and subtle greenish-grayish tones; it really makes everything look lively and popped-out. I can't wait to see more art from you, and I'm rooting for you on your art quest! :D

Postby Ionflux » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:09 pm

Ionflux

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Glad you like the colors! I am working on my coloring, since my color choices often appear too random to me. I was inspired to some extent by Sinix and Ahmed Aldoori… they always use these crazy color schemes and it looks so great when they do it. Although they go straight to color, and I do greyscale first. :)

Here are some more sci-fi girl thumbnail sketches. Tried to make them more dynamic. Thinking about starting a finished piece, but I should probably do some more of these first. :D

Postby Ionflux » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Ionflux

Facial expression studies. Need to do more of those. :D Ref by faestock.

Random sci-fi girl sketch (that got a bit out of hand). I have been inspired by Manga artists recently but I want to keep my style more realistic.

Postby Ionflux » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Ionflux

I am currently experimenting with my technique, trying to skip the lineart (which I end up getting rid of anyway most of the time) and focusing more on painting.

Here I tried sketching some girls without making them too finished and without any lines. It is pretty challenging, especially when defining the gesture. So I am not sure I am going to stick with this approach. :)
I streamed doing some of the sketches on Twitch. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/234359904

And a photo study. Mainly I was trying to get the anatomy and forms right, not worrying too much about likeness.
Ref: https://jonmann.deviantart.com/art/Leah-Von-Lux-705-455437396

Return to Sketchbook