Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Wb_draws » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:47 am

Wb_draws

Subject title: WB sketchbook (possibly NSFW)

Hi

I am new to the forum, but I wanted to start uploading my sketchbook here for a while. I started to learn drawing when I was relatively old (24), and now after 2 years of drawing a little I want to try be more serious about it and draw everyday :) we will see how it will go

Right now I am trying to learn to draw figures and faces from imagination, I think I am making some progress, but I still suck at some stuff (I cannot draw hairs, for example, so all my figures and faces are bold :D)

Here are my figures from imagination:

And here some faces from reference:

Thanks for chacking out my sketchbook ;) any comments are welcomed

Postby Wb_draws » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Wb_draws

And here is some face from reference, done with traditional media

Postby Wb_draws » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:29 am

Wb_draws

Another page of sketchbook, I don't like how the last figure turned out :? because I am drawing quite slow I do not manage to do full page in one sitting and somehow my drawings are of different quality on different days :D hopefully my speed will improve over time

Postby Wb_draws » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:38 am

Wb_draws

Here are some studies of upper torso, as I was not exacly sure what is going on there. I like to go over some lines and shapes with the blue color to memorize them better. I think that the ones in the upper row turned out much better than the other ones

And here are some studies of lying ladies

Postby fi_le » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:22 pm

fi_le

Hi WB,
welcome to the forum! For now I can only tell you to post more drawings, but your triangular shape language seems great already :)
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Wb_draws » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:22 am

Wb_draws

fi_le wrote:Hi WB,
welcome to the forum! For now I can only tell you to post more drawings, but your triangular shape language seems great already :)

Thanks, I will definitely post more stuff :) This week was a little busy, so I did not draw as much as I would like, but I still managed to draw something everyday (although sometimes only for 15-20 minutes), so its a partial success ;) here is the newest page of the sketchbook:

Postby Wb_draws » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:32 am

Wb_draws

Another sketchbook page:

And some action poses from reference

Postby Peteman22 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Peteman22

Welcome to the forum! I'm a "late starter" too, don't worry about it. For you figure, may I recommend some gesture drawing? Your doing a good job at capturing likeness but focusing on that too much can lead to stiff drawings. Don't be afraid to exaggerate/change things so it looks more dynamic and fluid. They can also be quickly so you can get a lot of mileage despite not having much free time.

Keep up the good work. :D
What are you doing? Stop browsing the forum and get drawing.

Just visit my sketchbook first:

http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37212 Come say hello!

Postby geryes » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:52 pm

geryes

Great job on the figure drawings. You get a good amount of detail with few lines. Keep up the great work! Especially with the action poses.
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby Wb_draws » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Wb_draws

Peteman22 wrote:Welcome to the forum! I'm a "late starter" too, don't worry about it. For you figure, may I recommend some gesture drawing? Your doing a good job at capturing likeness but focusing on that too much can lead to stiff drawings. Don't be afraid to exaggerate/change things so it looks more dynamic and fluid. They can also be quickly so you can get a lot of mileage despite not having much free time.

Keep up the good work. :D

Thanks, its nice to know that there are other people starting late ;) are you planning to make career out of art or is it just a hobby for you?

As for the gestures, yeah, I tried doing the whole "structural drawing" thing, when you start with the gesture, then add ribcage, pelvis and so on, but it somehow wasn't working for me. My figures always occured weird, stiff and ugly, so I started to draw without any structure, I just start somewhere and then do trial and error, here is a video process of the last page if someone is interested (at the beginning there are just warm-up scribbles)
https://youtu.be/4crh93_QmYk

But yeah, maybe I should try that again, it may workout this time :)

geryes wrote:Great job on the figure drawings. You get a good amount of detail with few lines. Keep up the great work! Especially with the action poses.

Thanks, I always try to clean lines a little bit while sketching, good to know that it is working out :)

Postby Peteman22 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Peteman22

Career...probably not. I'm mean ideally that would be the case but, getting to that point is probably going to take quite a bit of time. In the meantime there is rent, bills and student loans to pay and food to buy to stay alive. I figure if I could work at my regular job part time and make money from art somehow the other part of the time, I'd be satisfied with my lot. But of course there's always hope.
What are you doing? Stop browsing the forum and get drawing.

Just visit my sketchbook first:

http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37212 Come say hello!

Postby Wb_draws » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Wb_draws

Peteman22 wrote:Career...probably not. I'm mean ideally that would be the case but, getting to that point is probably going to take quite a bit of time. In the meantime there is rent, bills and student loans to pay and food to buy to stay alive. I figure if I could work at my regular job part time and make money from art somehow the other part of the time, I'd be satisfied with my lot. But of course there's always hope.

Good luck then :D

I did not have much time today, so here are 1 and 2 minute gestures

And also some portrait from reference on which i started working like 2 months ago, and I have never finished it ;) I kind of got stucked on hairs and then I have never learnt how to paint them properly. So this is WIP, but there is big chance that I will never finish it, so I may as well post it now

Postby Wb_draws » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:37 am

Wb_draws

Another page from imagination, I am quite happy with the figures - they are off in few places, but it seems that range of poses I can imagine is increasing :) on the other hand, faces look quite bad, I should do some more studies of face anatomy

Postby Wb_draws » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:26 am

Wb_draws

Next page of figures from imagination :) in the middle I tried drawing the same pose from two different camera angles (lower and higher), but it didnt work out very well. I have to try it again, but maybe with simpler pose and more different angles

And here are some quick sketches/gestures from reference

Postby Wb_draws » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:13 pm

Wb_draws

Unfortunately work kept me away from drawing yesterday and probably will also today :? End of semester is always busy, hopefully I will make up for it next week.

In the meantime here is another WIP on which I stopped working few months ago. I am not sure if I will ever come back to it ;) it was done with soft pastels

Postby Wb_draws » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:34 am

Wb_draws

Some streching

Postby Wb_draws » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:00 pm

Wb_draws

More figures from imagination:

Once again, I tried rotating figures in my mind (3 in the middle). Did not workout that well, especially the third one is very stiff. Maybe next time...

Postby geryes » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:11 pm

geryes

Lots of nice figure drawings. Keep up the great work!
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby Wb_draws » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:44 am

Wb_draws

Here is figure rotation from reference, I tried to find some regularities and note them down

Here are some 1 and 2 min sketches

And a 5 min sketch

Postby Wb_draws » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:21 am

Wb_draws

Trying out this black & white ink aesthetic, I think it looks quite cool. Here are some dancers

Postby Wb_draws » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:29 am

Wb_draws

Another page of poses from imagination, I am quite happy with how it turned out :)

And some action poses from reference

Postby Wb_draws » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:33 am

Wb_draws

More figures from imagination. I tried pushing it a little with some action poses with knives/swords. Not all poses make sense, but I think there is some overall progress, they are starting to look more interesting

Postby Wb_draws » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:01 am

Wb_draws

From imagination:

And some poses from references

Postby Wb_draws » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:37 am

Wb_draws

More poses from reference

And here are some shorter (1/2/5 min) poses

Postby Wb_draws » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:51 am

Wb_draws

Another portion of poses from imagination :)

Next

Return to Sketchbook