Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby ColonelHacker12 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:38 pm

ColonelHacker12

Subject title: Fi_le's sketchbook

Ditto, what he said. It's filling me with inspiration.
MY SKETCHBOOK (NSFW)

MY INSTAGRAM

"What are you looking at?!" - POTUS Francis Underwood

Postby fi_le » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:58 pm

fi_le

Update Time!

Heyo Bonsinpai, thanks for looking at my website. I can't tell you how much your compliment means, I hoped to archieve that!

Icy, lovely seeing you in my sketchbook, too! I have to tell ya though, it's not supposed to be a glowbug in the traditional sense: It's a little fairy from the series, here's some official artwork.

LK, your question hits really close to home. What are my goals? Well, I can't answer at all, I myself am at a loss. If anyone has an idea of what I might be good at, please tell me about it. I'm getting a little desperate at this point! Of course, I'm very happy you liked my images - thanks so much for the comment, Brudi.

I will keep up the work for sure, Blitz! Make sure to do the same dude. :D

Ah, Colonel you're making me blush.....

However, let's look at some of my images now. I've been working a bit more traditionally recently:
DSC_0119_alt.JPG
Sargent studies!
DSC_0118.JPG
MORE SARGENT STUDY!
DSC_0120_alt.JPG
Pig in gouache.
DSC_0117_alt.JPG
Sneaky sneak cat.
Ohne Titel-203_alt.png
Some houses from the good old imagination
Ohne Titel-204_alt.png
Look mom, I'm bad at perspective! I should really use reference for these.

Have a nice day folks.
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Icyhands » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Icyhands

It's a little fairy from the series, here's some official artwork.

Yep. That looks like a bug to me. ;)

What are my goals? Well, I can't answer at all, I myself am at a loss. If anyone has an idea of what I might be good at, please tell me about it. I'm getting a little desperate at this point!

Mate, I wouldn't stress about it too much yet. Just concentrate on those fundamentals and you can't go wrong. Do you want to make a living out of this or just do it for fun?
Sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9681 DA - http://icyhands.deviantart.com

'the hell are you reading this? You should be drawing!

Postby fi_le » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:46 pm

fi_le

Sup folks and hi Icey!

Well, do I want to make a living out of this.... I don't think I could really, can you give an evaluation maybe?
How about some more material to sift then:

Have a nice day!

(Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater rocks! Go play it!)
Ohne Titel-210_alt.jpg
Gal portrait with an open source bamboo textures. By the way, I think I'm using Creative Commons Noncommercial-No Derivative license for my works. Have you guys thought about this stuff?
Ohne Titel-212_alt.png
Big Boss and Pikachu. Hell yeah!
Ohne Titel-214_alt.png
Some sketches.
Ohne Titel-215_alt.png
An inkling.
Ohne Titel-216_Alt.png
A horse!
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

Postby Icyhands » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:28 am

Icyhands

and hi Icey!

Well, do I want to make a living out of this.... I don't think I could really, can you give an evaluation maybe?

Dunno about an evaluation, but in my opinion you've made a great start. As is said before you should just concentrate (as we all should :oops: ) on those fundamentals. I recommend you schedule some study time with Andrew Loomis' and Michael Hampton's books, they're accessible online. Also, there's no such thing as "good enough" to get paid work, there's people out their looking for artists of all levels, you just have to keep asking around.

Postby Azy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Azy

I really love how free you seem to be when making stuff, I'm getting there slowly myself. Keep it up. (Also that Big Boss is dank.)

Postby fi_le » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:46 pm

fi_le

There I am again, hi!

@Azy Thanks tons for the kind words, especially on Big Boss. As you might know, I give my life, not for honor, but for him. Let's see if I can carry the looseness through perspective town....

@Icy Oh OK, I heard about the thing that you just need the right clients knowing you to get work, I guess the problem is that I don't have any friends :D Focusing on the fundamentals I will, thanks again!

I wish you all a good day!

Multiple edits: Gah, I can't get this post to do what I want it to. It's always a whole thing, I feel like a grandmother with phpBB forum.
Ohne Titel-220_alt.png
Perspective exercise. Well, I tried.
Ohne Titel-222_alt_alt.png
Sketches. I like drawing skulls! Interestingly, Corel Painter locked me out of accessing the file for some reason. Luckily I had a backup.
Ohne Titel-221_alt.png
Turtle man.
Ohne Titel-223_alt_alt.png
Boring pretty person portrait. I love these, I have to admit - in my heart I'm secretly a philistine.
Ohne Titel-223_alt_alt_alt_alt.png
The exercise in original black and white.
Ohne Titel-225_alt.png
And another one for bad measure. The eyes are of course missing because of stylistic choice and not because I couldn't get them right.

Postby CaptainKiryu » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:45 am

CaptainKiryu

I think the thick, hard lines you use when painting look cool. But its pretty hard to tell just by looking at these who you are or what you like to draw. What got you drawing/painting? If it's not too much to ask.
I post art to these places
Twitter: https://twitter.com/captain_kiryu
Deviantart: https://captain-kiryu.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://captainkiryusart.tumblr.com/

Postby fi_le » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:54 pm

fi_le

Hi Captain!
The thicc lines were even kind of intentional for a change, I'm glad you enjoy 'em. Now, the other stuff you asked was pretty heavy, I appreciate the feedback a lot! If I look back at my drawings I mostly do it because it's something calm yet productive to do. I don't think I have a goal with it, maybe you and others could help me with that by explaining your own motivation?
Also, I find it a bit sad that it doesn't appear to come through who I am. Maybe it just takes time to develop, I don't really know. Well, well, I wouldn't be aware of a way to fix it.

Have a great day, here are the images:
Ohne Titel-226_alt.png
Conifer time!
Ohne Titel-228_alt.png
Anatomies, with blue background.
Ohne Titel-229_alt.png
Parrot
Ohne Titel-230_alt.png
Another landscape, from imagination as well
Ohne Titel-231_alt_alt.png
Snarky anime... elf woman?... magazine... cover? Yeah let's go with that description.
Ohne Titel-231_alt_alt_alt.png
And again in better.

Postby CaptainKiryu » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:30 am

CaptainKiryu

fi_le wrote:Hi Captain!
The thicc lines were even kind of intentional for a change, I'm glad you enjoy 'em. Now, the other stuff you asked was pretty heavy, I appreciate the feedback a lot! If I look back at my drawings I mostly do it because it's something calm yet productive to do. I don't think I have a goal with it, maybe you and others could help me with that by explaining your own motivation?
Also, I find it a bit sad that it doesn't appear to come through who I am. Maybe it just takes time to develop, I don't really know. Well, well, I wouldn't be aware of a way to fix it.

Have a great day, here are the images:

Hey, sometimes the goal can just be to relax and do something therapeutic---ain't nothing wrong with that. Idk, maybe the "you" in it is more obvious to people who know you better rather than a stranger like me. But I do think people's art can become more "them" with time as we refine as artists and humans.

My motivation is just that I gotta draw. I have done it for as long as I can remember so its sort of a deeply ingrained habit that I hardly have to think about doing. I think lately it's become an increasingly important language for me. I can put the things I can't say into a drawing and feel like it exists in the world---not just in my head. I can't tell if I'm trying to understand myself or be understood better by others....maybe both.
I post art to these places
Twitter: https://twitter.com/captain_kiryu
Deviantart: https://captain-kiryu.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://captainkiryusart.tumblr.com/

Postby fi_le » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:57 pm

fi_le

Captain, that sounds like some strong motivation indeed! Maybe one day I'll be able to be this passionate as well; I'm on it.

--{
Regarding the drawings I have to say that the Loomis stuff won't end up in here I think, it's all on paper and not worth the effort to digitalize it.
}--

Have a great day!
Ohne Titel-233_alt.png
Snek activity detected. Investigate the area.
Ohne Titel-235_alt.png
Not so fun, but helpful with perspective of course.
Ohne Titel-236_alt.png
Fancy!
Ohne Titel-237_half_alt.png
Nani? How did anime find its way into here again?

This is a study of course, I can't construct something this intricate by far. I think I got it down fairly well though.

Postby fi_le » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:46 am

fi_le

More!!!!
Ohne Titel-238_alt.png
Nathan Fawkes study. Perkexpert, thanks so much for mentioning him, I love him a lot.
Ohne Titel-239_alt.png
Sketch from ma head. The anatomy hasn't kicked in yet, also notice the lazy floating pistol.
Ohne Titel-240_alt.png
Nonsense face. Bad shape design trying to pretend it's competent.
Ohne Titel-244_alt.jpg
Mech study and a very useful one at that. I need to do much more industrial design, it really helps me get perspective right!
Ohne Titel-245_alt.png
Study, but guess of whom! Right, it is indeed the great PitE. I didn't capture it very well, I think.
Ohne Titel-246_alt.png
Sad anime study. ;(
Ohne Titel-247_alt.png
Zar from the ol imagine.
Ohne Titel-248_alt.png
More made-up portraiture. I think I'd be better off practicing likeness.
Ohne Titel-249_alt.png
Three colours portrait (?)

Postby Steeliebob » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 am

Steeliebob

Your painting studies are coming along nicely mate :)

Postby fi_le » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:09 pm

fi_le

Hi Steelie, great to have you around again! I can put even more studies up now, so enjoy :)

Have a great day!
Ohne Titel-251_alt.png
Cars in what's supposed to resemble perspective
Ohne Titel-252_alt.png
Portraiture!
Ohne Titel-253_cen_alt.png
Imagination person. Are the skin tones alright?
Ohne Titel-255_alt.png
Very good photo study, best one yet. Oh, also I found the tea to be too boring, so I replaced it with dark beer.
Ohne Titel-256_alt.png
More sketches!

Postby PitE » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:41 am

PitE

OMG YOU DID A STUDY OF MY PAINTING :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

that's the biggest form of flattery EVER. <3

the facial expression is pretty much on the dot :) and I love the mech.

Postby Icyhands » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:02 am

Icyhands

That Kermit is awesome.

Postby fi_le » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:26 pm

fi_le

Bam, here I am.
@PitE You're damn right I did and for good reason, too! Go paint more, I think the world deserves it.

@Icyhands I really like him as well, I wonder what kind of subject I could tackle similarly....

And well, the images.
Ohne Titel-258_alt.png
Sketches!
Ohne Titel-257_alt.png
Änime girls. Classic, which is of course a euphemism for boring.
Ohne Titel-260_alt.png
Singer-Sargent study, very difficult colours. All the warm dark tones are fighting.
Ohne Titel-259_alt.png
I think I'm happy with this landscape.
Ohne Titel-261_alt.png
One more skeleton portrait, this time more graphic, therefore more better.

Have a great day. :D

Postby Inkey » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:43 am

Inkey

Is skeleton man's neck still fleshy or is his vertebrae thicc.
Good studies my man.
A drawing a day keeps the evil demons at bay.
[Sketchbook] [DeviantArt] [Instagram][Discord art community]

Postby Bansaki » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:36 am

Bansaki

Hey there! Thanks for looking at my sketchbook.I'm just gonna focus on your first pieces and your latest works for now. You have a good sense of color management. I feel some placement of the colors can be improved some more. Like, making it more finished. I get that you want some kind of direction. I would suggest you focus on what themes or subjects you're going for. Like, the type of imagery and symbolism behind your work. You could also do some sort of planning or structure in your art. For example, in a thumbnail sketch, write out what objects/ subjects you want to include in your piece. Include fine art things for fine art artwork, for example. Although, no one will stop you if you experiment once in awhile. That's all for now. Keep up the hard work :)

Postby fi_le » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:42 pm

fi_le

I'm back!

Welcome in here, Bansaki. Thanks for the critique of my colours, although I'm not sure what you mean by making 'em more finished. Most valuable to me was the advice on symbolism, I should really try to tell some more interesting stories and incorporate more background into illustrations. The planning might get a little difficult however, usually my process is really impulsive.

Inkey, the skeliman indeed just has thick vertebrae, he worked them hard for long years.

Drawings:
Ohne Titel-263_alt.png
Guess of whom this is a study... that's right, it's of Singer-Sargent again. Does anybody want to join my fanclub?

Ohne Titel-264_alt.png
I saw this one used in a video and I really liked it, so I did a study. It's called "Kronprinz Friedrich Wilhelm an der Leiche des Generals Abel Douay" by a painter with the last name Werner. Didn't finish it though!

Ohne Titel-267_alt.png
Sketch shenanigans!

Ohne Titel-268_alt.png
Meta Knight. So edgy!

Ohne Titel-269_alt.png
Van Dyck study.

Have a nice day!

Postby fi_le » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:22 pm

fi_le

---------[Post]----------

My Wacom drivers have really been flipping me up. I needed to install three different programs that despite not working are all up on the official site. Do yourself a favour and don't buy anything from that place. Well, now I have it sorted out, so here's my progress (/regress (?))

Ohne Titel-271_alt.png
Fun face sketches

Ohne Titel-274_alt.png
Oh man, look at those neon skin tones. If you look like this, I'd advise visiting a doctor

Ohne Titel-275_alt.png
Another VanDyck study. Guys, I finally found a fourth painter - I know four now! Nice.

Ohne Titel-276_alt.png
More sketches, this time there are some figures present, too. If you have a critique of them , I beg you to respond!

Ohne Titel-273_alt.png
Slightly more sophisticated sketches. Look, there even is a non-person in there, I believe it's called "automobile".

Now, here I have one for our dear Bansaki, imagery and symbolism aplenty!
Ohne Titel-279_alt.png
A very unusually complex painting. Comments much appreciated!

Have a wonderful day.

Postby Polymath » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:10 pm

Polymath

Hey Filet, did you figure out what your goals are artwise?

Postby fi_le » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:32 pm

fi_le

Once more:

Ohne Titel-285_alt.png
Face sketches.
Ohne Titel-287_alt.png
Anime person with alcohol. Please don't be like me.
Ohne Titel-288_alt.png
Eyeball practice.

And for the last one you'd probably have to zoom in a little:
Ohne Titel-290.png
Pixelart!

Have a nice day!

Postby fi_le » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:18 am

fi_le

Little break, now I'm at it again.

Firstly:
Polymath wrote:Hey Filet, did you figure out what your goals are artwise?

For most of you, I should say I didn't ignore this one, but our dear Polymath's account wasn't approved at time of posting!
Now to answer the question - I didn't really. I think I have a better idea in terms of visual language and stuff, but goal sounds like I'd have found a purpose for my drawings... yeah on that front I'm a bit stuck at the moment. Maybe a short term goal?.... I don't think so, at least can't come up with something now.

Suggestions very appreciated!!!!1!

Also:
Polymath wrote:Filet

This is the second joke about my name, my patience is squandered very easily in here.

----------------------
Well, originally I wanted to do this post after a portrait photo study, however I forgot how damn long I take for these since my likenesses are flipping awful.

I did a little Ashley Wood study instead:
Ohne Titel-297_alt.jpg
Lady Long Legs!

And the other work:
Ohne Titel-291_alt.jpg
Donkey Warrior. Beware guys.
Ohne Titel-292_alt.png
Faces as usual
Ohne Titel-295_alt.png
Lady Eboshi quick and dirty painting.
Ohne Titel-293_alt.png
Princess Mononoke study minus the animal. Brilliant movie!
Ohne Titel-294_alt.png
Image from the game Sekiro, just painted. Shameful perspective mistakes.

Have a nice day!

Postby fi_le » Sat May 04, 2019 9:45 am

fi_le

Hey folks.
Ohne Titel-299_alt.png
Quick portrait of Judith Butler, if you want you can look her up and see how accurate I was.
Ohne Titel-302_alt.png
Sketches!

Have a nice day!

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook