Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Dizzard » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:40 pm

Dizzard

Subject title: Dizzard's Sketchbook

I hope it's alright to post this even though I don't really have much to show for it yet. I have a deviantart account where I create fakemon (fake Pokemon) here: https://sabrewulf238.deviantart.com

It's kind of a project that I started recently (I'm thinking of doing some world building for it too, and eventually drawing some human characters) It probably doesn't help me improve overall but I'm enjoying it as a creative outlet.

I've also been focusing on human anatomy too and have been watching videos by Sycra and Proko. I'm practicing drawing eyes at the moment. It wasn't until recently that I've started taking this more seriously but I applied for an animation course back in August but didn't get a place, I asked them why and the reason was that I (at the time) didn't have much recent art work and I think they got the impression I wouldn't be able for the workload involved. I'm hoping to try applying for the course again next year when I'm more prepared.

There's so much to learn it can be overwhelming though. (I'm also trying to do drawabox lessons)

Examples of my eye attempts (based on a proko lesson)

Spoiler: show
Last edited by Dizzard on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Mandilor » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Mandilor

Nah man post away! I like your fakemon, the snake with the rock rattle that looks all worried is great. I love those two different characters as one dynamics. Also I recon you're work about it not helping you improve. Having a project or a reason for you to improve is probably the best/most helpful thing to have when it comes to wanting to improve. A lot of us work on honing our skills but lose a lot of the creative side on the way. Which in the end is the more important part.

Anyways, glad you decided to share with us! I hope you keep posting and work toward your goal and get into that animation course you're looking at.

As a random aside, you can ignore this if you want. If you click on one of you images in imgur you will get a list of links. The BBCode one if you copy and paste it into a forum with show the image in the forum. That way we don't have to click on links to see your art, it's just there! Up to you if you want to use it of course, just thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know.

Postby Dizzard » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:04 pm

Dizzard

Mandilor wrote:Nah man post away! I like your fakemon, the snake with the rock rattle that looks all worried is great. I love those two different characters as one dynamics. Also I recon you're work about it not helping you improve. Having a project or a reason for you to improve is probably the best/most helpful thing to have when it comes to wanting to improve. A lot of us work on honing our skills but lose a lot of the creative side on the way. Which in the end is the more important part.

Anyways, glad you decided to share with us! I hope you keep posting and work toward your goal and get into that animation course you're looking at.

As a random aside, you can ignore this if you want. If you click on one of you images in imgur you will get a list of links. The BBCode one if you copy and paste it into a forum with show the image in the forum. That way we don't have to click on links to see your art, it's just there! Up to you if you want to use it of course, just thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know.

Thanks. I tried adding image tags to them before but it wasn't showing up correctly so I just left them as links.

I'll definitely try to stay active here and add more pictures when I create them.

Postby Mandilor » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Mandilor

Hmm, that might be because the images are too big. I've found keeping it under 900 pixels on the largest axis works well. You can edit the images by hovering over the image and then clicking on the edit icon, looks like a pencil. you can then select as many images as you want and hit the edit button at the top of the page. From there you can tweak some things including the resolution.

Postby Dizzard » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Dizzard

Some noses I tried drawing with the help of a Proko video. I know I'm more or less trying to copy what he's doing but I hope it'll at least get me more comfortable with drawing body parts realistically.

I'm working on some new fakemon too. So that'll probably be my next post.

I was thinking I'd try drawing lips next too, I'm not sure whether it's better to keep going with the same body part or change it around. I don't want to get burnt out focusing on just one thing though.

Postby Dizzard » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Dizzard

Three fakemon I made over the last week or so. They're based on Ultra Beasts (which are kind of like the Cthulhus of Pokemon) so they're a bit strange.

If you want to read some information about them I posted them on my Deviantart too.

https://sabrewulf238.deviantart.com/art ... -721169517
https://sabrewulf238.deviantart.com/art ... -721314919
https://sabrewulf238.deviantart.com/art ... -721525613

I'm going to focus on drawing lips and some more figure drawing next.

Postby Dizzard » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:30 pm

Dizzard

I did some figure drawing over the last three days. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post really rough practice but I feel like it makes me accountable so here it is.

Day one

Day two

Day three

I plan on getting up early to do figure drawing for the foreseeable future. I'll probably only post a couple of them here in future though. Also some of these were based on nude images but the figures don't have detail, is that still NSFW or is it ok?

Postby Xiphor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:27 am

Xiphor

Hello! Awesome to see the figure drawings :D Its perfectly fine to post any kind of sketch on these forums(its called sketchbook so you can go for as rough as you want) NSFW stuff is also fine, just edit your sketchbook title to include that so people know, or you can put the NSFW stuff in a spoiler like this.
NSFW stuffs here

As far as your figures go, i can see that you are focusing a lot on the contour of the figure without any construction or underlying sketch. What I would suggest is to do a quick gesture sketch first, then try and add form to it using boxes and cylinders. This will help both with getting your figures to not be stiff but also have a lot more 3 dimensionality. Hope this helps and keep it up!!!

Postby Nymzo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:58 am

Nymzo

It's always good to share you stuff, even if you don't have that much to start with. Welcome to the forum.

Postby Dizzard » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:38 pm

Dizzard

Thanks for the advice. I'm following along with Prokos figure drawing series right now so I decided to practice drawing more boxes and cylinders in perspective before coming back to drawing figures.

I made another fakemon too.

Postby Dizzard » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:38 am

Dizzard

I drew some animals using shapes. I tried to focus less on the contouring but I think it's a bad habit I'll need to work on.

The squid is an awkward attempt to draw this guy.

I wasn't really sure what to do with that guy....and it wasn't as serious an attempt anyway.

Postby geryes » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm

geryes

Nicely done with the animal drawings and simplifying the shapes. That will come in real handy later one. Keep up the good work! :)
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby fi_le » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:49 pm

fi_le

Hey Dizzard!
I can only agree with geryes on the animals. Getting the hang of construction will be essential with basically everything you draw in the future. You'll of course have to practice quite some more, but why don't you try doing one of the fakemons with the same technique?

Anyways, looking forward to more from you :)
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Dizzard » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:28 pm

Dizzard

Thanks for the advice. I've been sketching out some concept pages of different fakemon using shapes and I'll try posting them here soon.

I have something I'm wondering about with my digital art though. I've watched videos on light and shadow in the past and I've been shading fakemon for a while, but I feel like my grasp on it isn't too great yet. I was wondering if anyone had any input on these images.

This last one is like a mix of the two styles. I thought the effect looked best with the wings, so I only used it for that. I also tried to add more lighting but I think I went overboard.

I suppose it's more of a stylistic difference, I'm just trying to figure out how I could bring my digital art up a notch and it seems like my shading skills are holding me back.

Postby DRaff210 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:17 am

DRaff210

Nice work! I really like your fakemon, they're really imaginative. :) ! I totally had a phase where I spent hours browsing deviantart just to find cool fakemon designs, haha.

As for input for your latest design, I definitely think you need to be focusing more on rendering 3D forms. Do some exercises where you're just rendering cubes, spheres, and cylinders; understand concepts like the highlights, the terminator line, and bounce light. Sycra himself has a great series of videos on this very subject, and it totally helped kickstart my own understanding of lighting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-LZVFZuGE

Hope this helps! Keep going and don't ever give up; looking forward to seeing more! :D

Postby Dizzard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Dizzard

Thanks for the advice. I had already watched that series but I plan to watch it again soon. I've been working on an online anatomy course for the last few weeks. I wasn't sure about posting these since I drew them while watching a video. (so most of them aren't purely me drawing on my own)

Just my two latest pages. Working on the femur and the tibia. After the foot I'll be moving on to the hand and then after that he'll be talking about muscles. I'm not sure if maybe I'm moving too fast....but I also know that if I overthink it I might end up stalling. So I want to just keep moving.

I also made two new fakemon.

Postby Dizzard » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 am

Dizzard

My most recent practice from my anatomy drawing course. (sorry the quality isn't great, I took it with my phone)

I also just started an online photoshop course, so this will my first time using photoshop. Since it's an industry standard I wanted to learn how to use it. (also I think one of the reasons I didn't get into the animation course was probably because I had no photoshop experience)

It's a good bit different from the anatomy course, since for the photoshop course I'm going to need to go to a test center in order to do a final exam. I have 15/16 weeks to complete it. (for some reason the website says 15 weeks but the email I got said 16 weeks)

Edit: Also, I just reached lecture 100 on the anatomy course. Sitting at 44% complete right now, I'm in it for the long haul!

Postby Dizzard » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:48 am

Dizzard

Uploading my latest Anatomy exercise. I'm on the neck muscles right now.

I've also been uploading more Fakemon on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dizzardy_art/

By the way, has anyone done the courses at Schoolism.com? It sounds promising.

Postby Dizzard » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:13 am

Dizzard

I haven't posted in a while but I've still been working away. I signed up for a course on Schoolism. It's a drawing fundamentals course, right now I'm on the section on values.

For the first section I had to draw a giraffe.

I'm working on a drawing of a lion statue right now. It's so detailed though, I've never drawn anything as demanding as this. (I know that's a good thing though, to work on something that is giving me trouble)

Postby Dizzard » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:06 pm

Dizzard

I've "finished" working on the lion statue. I'm not sure if it's really finished but this drawing really took a lot out of me. I definitely feel like I learned something from this.

I feel like I should continue working on it....but on the other hand it's kinda starting to drain me, so I might focus on something else and come back to it later.

Something I'm worrying about, is that I'm not really getting much input or critique from others on what I'm doing, but I feel kinda embarrassed to post my artwork because everyones artwork is so good. So I'm stuck between thinking I should improve more before I ask for a critique and worrying that I could be picking up a load of bad habits by not asking for more input.

Postby Plumbum » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Plumbum

I would help you, it's just. My life is not even close to good right now.

Your 3d figures are not actually 3d, they are just contours with a circle around it. Your people lack both gesture and 3d. You are working too fast. You need to slow down and draw 30 pages of gesture drawing and 15 pages just consisting of pencil accuracy exercises. Then you can move forward after that. I can't mentally handle searching for some resourses, but I'm sure you can just goodle 'Proko gestrue drawing' and 'Proko accuracy' for some good videos.
We have DID (the thing Sycra has).

Quick summary of forum writers:
Artist: she is mainly the one who draws.
Writer: he is usually the one who writes on the forum.
Lawyer: he studies everything, honestly.
Real names are private.

Sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14540

Postby Wb_draws » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Wb_draws

Good work with that giraffe :) I feel like your work would improve a lot if you would use more values. In your drawings right now the darkest values are still pretty light. Also, I think you should work on the gradient, all the changes in your values are pretty hard, in some places the change should be gradual going softly from light to dark etc.

Postby Dizzard » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:32 pm

Dizzard

Feel like I'm in a bit of a rut so I wanted to post some new work here.

Lighting Practice

I'm finding lighting quite frustrating. I'm sort of shying away from it a lot but I know I have to keep practicing with it.

Self Portrait

It's not really finished but it was an assignment I had to do for class on values and the planes of the face.

Figure Drawings/Live Model

New Fakemon

3D model

I've been doing an animation course for the past few months and I've already learned a lot. Every two weeks we did live model drawing.

Postby Dizzard » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:29 pm

Dizzard

I haven't posted here in a while. I need to get back on that, I joined a bunch of Facebook groups thinking I'd get good feedback but honestly most of the critiques I've gotten so far have come from this forum.

I did some tutorials on Schoolism. Specifically I did Bobby Chiu's "Visualizing through darkness" lesson.

I don't have many new finished fakemon pieces, although I did create this guy:

Also I went to the Schoolism live event in Dublin so I actually met Bobby Chiu and the other lecturers. It was very inspiring. I think its helped me feel more confident about moving along this path.

Postby fi_le » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:15 pm

fi_le

Woah, you met Mr.Chiu? Nice dude! I am personally not really all over his stuff, because I'm not that interested in his style of creature design, but I respect him a lot for his skill (and the interviews, he got Kim Jung Gi after all).

Can you share a bit more about schoolism? I've always been interested.
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Return to Sketchbook