This is where you can find, or volunteer to be, an art mentor, trainer, or mutual study buddy to help you push your art to the next level!

Postby Sprenzy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:08 am

Sprenzy

Subject title: L> some1who can teach me from scratch for free

I'm a person who is just getting into art. right now I don't have any fundamentals. I just need someone who can hold my hand a little more because I suck at self learning and It's nice to have someone that can point the mistakes and stuff
here I leave some artwork that I really like https://imgur.com/a/suEB6. I can't fight my favorite pictures that I still have in mind so I'll update it later but it's just to show what kind of artwork I'm really into

of course I don't want any bad habits so we can touch on realism but not too much into what I call ugly fine art.
I'm just thinking of like mastering one thing one at a time like how to draw arms and how they move and hands and torso and legs and then in the end I try to draw one complete person

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:36 am

Ambiguity

Sprenzy wrote:I just need someone who can hold my hand a little more because I suck at self learning

This seems unfair to people who might mentor you. You should already putting in the work into researching things for yourself before you ask for help. The fact that you've found this forum and probably the videos from the person who created it, proves that you're capable and don't need people to hold your hand. A mentor is just someone to advise you, not spoon-feed you every little thing.

Sprenzy wrote:of course I don't want any bad habits so we can touch on realism but not too much into what I call ugly fine art.

All of the fundamentals of drawing and painting are taken from life. You don't have to draw photorealistically(and in fact it probably wouldn't help you much at all), but you do have to study life if you want to be as good as the people you linked. I've seen videos of entertainment art schools in Japan, and even all those guys that draw anime and manga study from life in school.

Sprenzy wrote:I'm just thinking of like mastering one thing one at a time like how to draw arms and how they move and hands and torso and legs and then in the end I try to draw one complete person

I thought I would do that too when I was starting out, five years later I was still working on the head and not getting any better at it, much less the entire figure. You don't really "master" anything because the definition of mastery is arbitrary to each person, and what you think is the "ceiling" will continually move farther and farther from you as your skills develop more and more. Not to mention, fundamentals all overlap each other, you can't fully understand one without the other.

I don't tell you all this to discourage you, but rather I just think you should have more realistic expectations so you can start making postive steps to get to the place you want to be at.

Postby Josephcow » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:48 pm

Josephcow

Sprenzy wrote:of course I don't want any bad habits so we can touch on realism but not too much into what I call ugly fine art.

Sorry but this is more than likely where you should be starting. You'll just be told again and again and again to draw a still life until you actually do it because you need to know how light interacts with form. If youre talking about not wanting to paint ugly renaissance babies, though, then I'm with ya there.
Spoiler: show
tumblr_myndcmZsw91r6f0d9o1_1280.jpg

Return to Mentorship, Art Trainers, and Study Buddies